You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New skating items  (Read 5265 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
New skating items
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
Do you feel the need to get some of the new products being released? 

These are starting to show up: http://www.rockerzskateguards.com/product_info.php?products_id=24

As well as these.  I've heard these are so heavily padded that people like them for travel to protect the blades.  http://fuzzysoakers.com/site/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

My daughter is dying to get one of these for Christmas. Her friend's have them and they set them on the rink walls during freestyles and classes.
http://www.kissandcryangels.com/totes.html

For us, what dd has is "good enough" but it is fun seeing new items in the proshop!

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: New skating items
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »
I'm sooo tempted to buy new skating stuff, those guards look quite cool but a bit pricey :P

I really want a pair of the overstuffed soakers, mine are really thin and are already covered in holes, they look really cute too :)

Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
I've never seen any of these things before!  I guess we don't have a trendy rink :)

$32 for a pair of guards?  Wow. Then again, I rarely use guards because they are hard to fit over the wide top of the paramount blades. If these fit, that would be nicer. Still 2-piece guards are only like $10, so 3 times more- ouch.

Our little rink kiosk sells some animal soakers, but a different kind I think.  I've only seen one kid who has them.  As an adult, that is one skating trend I'm not interested in.  (I fall for many...)

The Tote you posted made me think of a bag Rainbo sports was advertising recently- for setting on the wall of the hockey box, but I can't find it on their website. Maybe they already pulled the product?

The thing I wonder about: do Boot Bags have any added value?  I see some skaters who keep their skates in them, but not many.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
I saw the rockerz guards at Synchro nationals, they look really nice and I want a pair but can't justify spending $35 on a pair of guards.

The kiss and cry totes are uber popular with the age 12-14 crowd at my rink.

I use boot bags that I made out of an old set of hand towels.

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
 . . . .
My daughter is dying to get one of these for Christmas. Her friend's have them and they set them on the rink walls during freestyles and classes.

Well I didn't feel the need until I saw these, and now I sort of want one.  :laugh: Too bad they don't come in black.

I can live without the soakers and guards though.  My guards are good enough (and the only bright green ones at any session I skate on), and my 20 year old super heavy duty terry soakers are still going strong.  Now, if I could find more soakers like that, I'd buy a whole pile of them. Sadly, even the "heavy duty" ones I see now aren't even close.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
We sell the fuzzy soakers at my rink, they're definitely popular. I have two pairs, one for the old skates and one for my new skates. :) I love them. You can order custom ones, too, for example, ones with your favorite football team.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »
We have boot bags, but I just use them when we are going to get them sharpened.  They were on clearance a couple years ago when dd wanted them.  Her soakers are holey but I will probably just re-sew them or attempt making some myself.  The ones I posted, I think are the ones in the proshop and they have really thick foam - kind of like memory foam.  If dd had expensive blades I could see adding those to the purchase because they would be really cushy.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
I got the guards at the PSA Conference trade show for only $20.  I also got fuzzy soakers at a nice discount.  I justified it because the blades I'm getting are half an inch shorter than my current ones.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
I will absolutely buy the rockers guards if they hit Canada ... I wonder if they ship here ... we have to buy speed skating guards due to the length of the blades at present ... and they're not any cheaper than these!

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »

These are starting to show up: http://www.rockerzskateguards.com/product_info.php?products_id=24

As well as these.  I've heard these are so heavily padded that people like them for travel to protect the blades.  http://fuzzysoakers.com/site/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

The only thing I have seen are the fuzzy soakers. I won't spend the dough on those things tho! LOL. I'd rather spend that money on lessons. Dd has a Zuca and that is because she bought it. :)

For us, what dd has is "good enough" but it is fun seeing new items in the proshop!

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »

My daughter has something similar.  It seems expensive for what it is, however it works great, sits nicely on the boards and holds the right amount of stuff--in my daughter's case a water bottle, CDs, iPod & cable, headband, practice book, and about 6 pairs of gloves (working on that double axel).  I'm sure there are other totes that would work as well, but we saw it hanging in the pro-shop window and it was so easy, especially considering the time I would have spent thinking about & finding a less expensive alternative.  Before the tote, she would just sit various things on the boards and they were always falling on the ice or (yuck) into the hockey box.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 06:18:47 AM »
I think these little totes are cute.  I've seen very similar ones at craft stores with the scrapbooking supplies, and have been tempted to pick one up.  I haven't though, because I think what I'm already using works better.  It's a makeup bag, with a cover that zips all around.  When the bag gets knocked off the boards, as it inevitably does, my stuff stays inside.  I can also stuff it in one of the side pockets of my skate bag.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
I don't really like the tote bags, don't particulary have a reason, they just don't look really sport/ice skating related..kinda weird
Our rink must be soooo untrendy as we have none of this stuff - the small rink shop sells cheap thin soakers, ordinary guards, plain skate bags....oh and zucas (but very limited inserts to choose from and only black or pink frames)

Skittl1321 - I have boot bags but don't use them...I don't see the point really
they came with my skates when I bought them, risports :P
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:15:45 PM »
I think these little totes are cute.  I've seen very similar ones at craft stores with the scrapbooking supplies, and have been tempted to pick one up. 

I have one from a craft store- with lots of little pockets.  If you want it, I'll send you a picture of it, and then if you are ever in town, you can have it. 

I thought I would LOVE it, but it turns out, I just wanted buy-in on a trend. I get suckered by stuff in skating and crafting :)

No one at our rink uses rinkside totes, so it would be weird to bring it there.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
I saw the little totes and thought 'good idea', then realized I could use a Longaberger tote I have lying around. Same size.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
I have thought about the little tote bags, but my only concern is that my tissue box wouldn't fit in it.  I think some of the girls just bring a little pack of tissues, but I stop to blow my nose a lot.  Maybe only having a few tissues would make me consider if I REALLY need to blow my nose or if I should just go skate.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
I've been considering one of those bags, but I don't go to freestyle enough to warrant one, plus I could buy a little craft bag from JoAnns and use that. Now that they're keeping the rink colder my nose is running more so it'd be good If I used it to hold water, extra pair of gloves, my scarf and tissues.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »
I have thought about the little tote bags, but my only concern is that my tissue box wouldn't fit in it.  I think some of the girls just bring a little pack of tissues, but I stop to blow my nose a lot.  Maybe only having a few tissues would make me consider if I REALLY need to blow my nose or if I should just go skate.

One of the adult skaters at our rink uses a fabric shower caddy/tote.  The middle is big enough for a tissue box adn the outer pockets hold gloves, chapstick, etc. nicely.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »
My DD & I have soakers similar to the fuzzy ones.  We got them at a competition a couple years ago.  I like the guards, but wouldn't pay that much for them.  I also like the totes.  I just got a Cath Kidston bag when I was in London that is very similar, but no outside pockets.  I like my bag.  It is the perfect size for placing on the boards and has a plastic/pleathory type of outside, but nice open fabric inside.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »
I LOVE my new rockerz guards!  They are super easy to take on and off, and walking in them is much comfier than in the guard-dogs.  I don't feel like I'm clomping around off ice now.
My glass is half full :)