You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating with a music player  (Read 3622 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Skating with a music player
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
I've been thinking about playing program music through a personal music player. Phones are way too big and falling on them would not be fun. I have an old MP3 player but still too clumsy with armband. I don't need an expensive music player and most of my skating attire has zero pockets,

Just saw cheap clip-on MP3 players on eBay that seem to suit my purposes perfectly. Hopefully the clip is secure enough to stay on my collar or sleeve. Rink #1 tolerates earphones to no end (scary sometimes) and Rink #2 should probably allow occasional one-ear earphone wired under the sleeve if the session is light enough. I always skate with caution and the volume will be fairly low.

Skate@Delaware mentioned putting smartphones on speaker in the practice thread:

Flying: discovered if I put my music on my droid phone...it plays LOUDER than on my iTouch (with no headset/speakers). I can tuck it and skate (no headphones are supposed to be used and frankly, I wouldn't want to skate here with them-I'd get run over for sure). So now I have my own porta-boom-box! . . .

Interesting points from the archive:
Mrs Redboots
12-28-2008, 12:12 PM
They are used at my rink; I've seen all sorts - mine (not an iPod but a cheap MP3 player) has a neck cord so it hangs round my neck; others use arm-bands (but if you are choreograping, doesn't moving your arm pull the headphones off?). Quite the niftiest thing I've seen, though, is a headband (as in, to keep your ears warm) with a little pocket for the iPod in it!

Rusty Blades
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
You could consider getting a much cheaper and maybe even smaller mp3 player just for skating... I'll just tuck it in my cleavage - safest point I can think of - complete with bumpers 8O :mrgreen:

If you are allowed to skate with a music player, what are your experiences with them? Keeping them safe and secure esp. from falls, keeping the earbuds / bluetooth headset in place while spinning etc.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Skating with a music player
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
I skate with an older ipod nano (the new ones are so small they would be ideal) in my fleece pocket. I run the headphones on the inside of the jacket, rather than outside. I just wear one earbud when I do.  It's not ideal, mostly because I hate earbuds, my ears are too small for them.  They do come out when spinning, for me.

We have lots of kids who skate with them, and most are just clueless as they listen to music, so I almost think they should be banned...

I've never heard of one breaking, so I don't worry about it.

I've had my coach skate with my smartphone next to me before, but it's too soft for anything but emergencies.  However, it plugs right into the music system, so many skaters use that instead of CDs now.  I have like 10 CDs for practice since I always lose them, so I like that option, keeping CDs just for competition.  I do worry it will be knocked off the boards though, but so far, I've not heard of an accident.  My phone also does great video, so I like having it rinkside.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
There is a tendency to ignore other skaters when listening/skating to your music using the headphones/earbuds.  It is a bit better when you have only one ear in. My summer rink has a "no headphones" policy mostly because of all the pair skaters/ice dancers that zing all around.  My home rink has a rule "one ear only" that is mostly ignored.

I've used a headphone (the small lightweight type that costs less than $10) and used only one ear. Placed my iPod in an internal pocket or in my "bra pocket"

There are small external speakers that connect to your device, however they are bulky still and if you've no pockets you are still stuck.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Bone Conduction?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
I've been meaning to ask this for a while...

Has anyone tried bone conduction headphones for skating?  Since they do not cover your ears it seems like it would reduce the risk of ear injury in a fall and improve situational awareness.

Example which also won't get wet if you drop it on the ice:  http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/electronics/swimp3-1g.html

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
The swimp3 players work well in the water, but not on land.  That was my biggest pet peeve with them - when I turned my head to breathe, I'd lose decent sound (assuming I had decent sound to begin with - they can be iffy).  I have a small waterproof mp3 for swimming (like a shuffle) but prefer to have more control over my music than that for skating.

I would LOVE a new nano for skating, but for now I just tuck my iPhone in my bra and the excess cord in my jacket.  Well, I did until I lost it this week - Ack!    :o

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
When I'm at home, doing yard or house work, yep I just tuck my old nano in my bra and listen to my audiobooks on the tiny, tiny speaker. I thought about taking it to the rink so I could play the waltz or tango music while coach is partnering me (cause i've never done a dance to actual music) then thought: hmm, male coach, public skate, elderly woman digging in her bra to turn on/off a nano.   :-[ Just decided it was not a good idea. And now of course you can't find the old nano armbands any more.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:05 PM »
I have a new shuffle ipod, which has a small clip that I clip onto my collar.    I used a nano before, but the touch screen was a huge hassle, since I had to take my gloves off and actually look at it.   With the shuffle I only put my program song on it, so I can use the ipod "blind" and in gloves.
 I wear earbud earphones- great for small ears (they also come in different sizes, so that the fit is perfect).
I use only one earphone and I have the other  taped up  so that I can tuck it into my shirt.   So far- I have been very happy with with setup.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
My nano doesn't have a touchscreen...

My smartphone does though- I snipped off the tip of one finger on my gloves.  A VERY common look around our rink.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
LOL @ AgnesNitt, that is funny.

I just realized even though there are no pockets on me, I use arm warmers ALL THE TIME (to keep elbow pads in place) and can slip a small music player to the inside of my elbow. Ordered the clip-on player from eBay, can't wait for it to arrive.

I imagine wearing headband will help to keep the earbud in place, or even to hide it discretely. The problem is I already have a padded hat to protect the back of my head, maybe I could sew them together...? :P

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
My nano doesn't have a touchscreen...

My smartphone does though- I snipped off the tip of one finger on my gloves.  A VERY common look around our rink.

Slightly wet gloves work too.  I just swipe a finger along my blade before I change songs/playlists.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 12:00:19 AM »
I use arm warmers ALL THE TIME (to keep elbow pads in place)

me too! me too! so sensible. Plus capri shapewear under my slacks to hold on my knee pads. I took a fall that rolled me across the ice, I practically bounced with the padding.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/