You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stock boot changes  (Read 2600 times)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Stock boot changes
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
So after a month of waiting, my boots (riedell 435ts) came in. I know after my previous post this is going to shock some of you, the boots were way too narrow! The fitter wasn't there when I went and tried them on but the other staff told me they could order a men's boot in white to accommodate my wide feet, or they are able to make 1 change to a stock boot. Do any of you know what the $$ for those kind of modifications would be?

I asked about possibly choosing a different brand of boot but they said Riedell is the best choice still. In all honesty I'm kinda nervous about the whole thing, I don't have extra $$ to be investing in trial and error fittings. The boots were more than I planned on spending to begin with but I figured if they fit well it was okay. But the thought of add more cost to that is unappealing.

I'm not quite sure how to share my concerns with the fitter.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Stock boot changes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
We were told $35 to have a similar change to a Riedell. But, you need to ask your fitter ... we've discovered that some skate stores have  a different 'scale' of charges than the one that the manufacturer indicates.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
My concern here would be how the heel of the boot will be in the mens sizing.  Honestly, it is sounding like this shop wants to put everyone into Reidell right or wrong. It would be so helpful if you could try on some other brands. I don't remember exactly what your situation is shop-wise.  Could you possibly get to another fitter?

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Is there somewhere you could go to try Jacksons?  I was off the chart in width for Riedell, but am in a stock Jackson width.

Also, I think it was PinkLaces who had trouble with her 435s - check the "Show off your skates" thread - it's on page three of the equipment forum.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »
We have several options for skate shops nearby but none of then besides this one have a real fitter. Just teenage hockey players seems to run the other local shops.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
The fitter wasn't there when I went and tried them on but the other staff told me they could order a men's boot in white to accommodate my wide feet

Huh? If anything, men's feet and boots tend to be wider, don't they?

You definitely should talk to your fitter first, but it sounds like either the fitter or Riedell messed up completely. Talk to the fitter, and talk to Reidell directly. One or the other might make good, at little or no charge.

If they don't give you happiness, try removing the insole. If the surface you encounter is rough, cut something of the same shape out of something thin like card stock. You might be surprised how much space that makes.

A lot of people on this board know I believe people can make their own mods. But these are new, and you were fit by their fitter, so you should expect them to help you cheap or free.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
With men's boots not necessarily being a "stock" item, particularly in the higher-end boots, and the need to fit men, I've more than once seen very very good fitters using a ladies' boot to fit the men's feet - and yes, these were Riedells, so, it would apply - and then simply ordering the boot from Riedell based on the female size that fitted the male feet. Don't see why it wouldn't work in reverse.

What width of Riedell did they finally order for you - ?

Here's Riedell's customer service contact info ... why not ask them about what the fitter is recommending ... ? I've never had a problem with the ones my two daughters wear, but, I have heard from others that they've had great support from going to Riedell directly with questions.

customerservice@riedellskates.com

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
They ordered a C width in the ball and B in the heel. C width is apparently the widest available.

In addition I have a very high instep and so there was a gap between the boot and the tongue when laced up.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »
JHarer, sorry you're having problems - it must be so disappointing to wait and wait for ordered boots, and then when they finally arrive they don't fit!

In addition to being too narrow - the problem you've already identified - I wonder if the boot might also be too shallow for your foot?  You said said the tongue edge doesn't even reach inside the throat to lace up.  Your high instep would need a relatively deeper boot to accommodate it than someone with a low instep.

It sounds like you've been put in the wrong size (and probably wrong brand) of boot.  Everyone's foot is different and not everyone can wear Reidells (or for that matter Jacksons or Teris or any of the other brands).

I have to agree with the others: if these boots don't fit, then the fitter/supplier should make good.  Whatever you do, don't just accept a statement "They'll wear/break in".  While there shouldn't be extra space within a boot, if it doesn't fit, no amount of "wearing in" will make it fit, and you can cause injury to your feet by trying.

Good luck talking to the fitter.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
Reidell has some information about fit online at

http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/Content.aspx?PageName=Fitting%20Guidelines

When you talk to Reidell about the problem, it wouln't hurt to read this first.

You certainly can't assume that a women's 7C, for example, would fit the same as a men's 7C.

With regards to using female boots to check men's foot sizing, these charts

http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/Documents/Width%20chart.pdf

make it clear you have to take into account the differences of how sizes are labeled for men and women. The charts give sizing for width, but I guess you have to compensate lengths by measuring their measuring device. I don't know if your fitter did all that.

As near as I can tell from those charts and from this (if this is the right boot)

http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=435-TS

C is not the widest width for men, but it is for ladies. So it is quite possible your fitter made an error, and tried to use lady's widths.

I too have seen an expert fitter quite reluctantly size a man by trying women's boots - but you would have to ask Reidell if there are additional differences in how Reidell assumes men's and women's feet are shaped beyond length and width.

Regardless, don't wait. Both the fitter and Reidell will be much more willing to make good if you call immediately. And don't skate in the boots any more until you have talked to both of them - they will be more likely to make good if they can sell the boots as almost new. It takes very little skating in misfit boots to break them down.

BTW, were they heat molded? If they were meant to be, and weren't, that would explain a lot.

I've seen a lot of people unwilling to make a fuss over boot fit. But for skates, making a fuss over fit is expected, by both the seller and the manufacturer. They know skates often need modification after they are made. It's a significant part of why skates are so expensive.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »
While there shouldn't be extra space within a boot, if it doesn't fit, no amount of "wearing in" will make it fit, and you can cause injury to your feet by trying.

I didn't read what she posted as having extra space, more that the tongue doesn't even reach the boot when laced up... I have high insteps too, in addition to wide feet, so I can appreciate that kind of problem!

Anyways though, I'm sorry they don't fit you, but I was surprised at the recommendation of Riedell for "wide" feet based on your other thread.  I think you'd probably be better off in Jacksons or SP Teri's and I would make that clear to the fitter.  I have nothing against Riedells but they wouldn't work for my feet, and if you have a fitter that is pushing them fairly heavily it might be worthwhile to work with another fitter even if you had to travel to do so.