You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Gardens Ice House: Dance Joy Beginner Ballet, other classes  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Gardens Ice House: Dance Joy Beginner Ballet, other classes
« on: December 23, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »
The Gardens Ice House in Laurel, MD, where I used to work, and sometimes still skate, sent me this:

New dance program Dancing Joy begins January 10th!: Dancing Joy Dance Program

Ballet is the foundation of many dance forms therefore Beginner Ballet is the first class Dancing Joy dance program is offering. This is a once a week class held on Monday evening for 7-10 year old's.

Classes begin January 10th from 5pm to 6pm

Only $210 for 14 weeks.

​The class will focus on ballet basics, technique, musicality, strength, and flexibility. Our class is unique in that Dance expression will also be explored, helping children learn to express their ideas and emotions through dance. This is a fun and exciting class for any beginner dancer!

Click here to register!

Space is limited so register early and begin your child's dancing journey today!

It is nominally taught by Greg Maddalone's "Gardens Sports Academy" which offers or plans to offer various other on-ice and off-ice classes - if you look at that link, it sounds pretty ambitious for a rink to run on a regular basis, but Gardens is a 6 ice surface facility, where clubs from other rinks sometimes rent ice time, so they may hope to teach skaters from other rinks.

Note: "your child's" may imply this is for kids.
If you have any questions, I would contact Greg, whose email is provided below:

The Gardens Sports Academy is a Bridge Program designed to continue your child’s growth within our Learn to Skate USA program while providing you with a bridge to the next level of skating in an economical way.

​Participants of the Gardens Sports Academy can participate in up to 6 classes*, and Jr. Academy Participants can participate in 4 classes each week. New to skating and want to start on the right foot try our Developmental Skater program!

On-Ice classes include an assigned Learn to Skate USA class, a Specialty Class, and a leveled Bridge Class each week.  Off-Ice Classes include Off-Conditioning Class and off-ice dance class (Ballet or Hip Hop) each week.

​Academy classes cover the basic and advanced skills required to enhance your child’s skating. Off ice classes may include: Jump Class, Core Training, Stretch Class, Ballet or Hip Hop Class. On Ice may include Presentation, Choreography, Dance, or Interpretive.

​Participants will receive additional work session passes each month to practice their skating skills.

For more pricing or additional information about this program please contact Greg Maddalone, gregm@thegardensicehouse.com, Skating Director

021/2022 Gardens Sports Academy Fall Schedule (Note: this schedule must be out of date, as it doesn't include this class; contact rink):

Saturdays:
10:00am – Off-ice
10:40am – Dance Class (Group A)
10:40am – GSA Bridge Classes
11:20am – GSA Bridge Classes
11:30am – Dance Class (Group B)
11:50am – Off-ice or Additional LTS Class
12:10am – Dance Class (Group C)
(Jr. Academy Members Schedule Only)

​Mondays:
6:10pm – Basic 4-5 Classes
6:10pm – Elite Off-Ice
6:40pm: Basic 6 – Advanced Freeskate Classes
7:10pm: Specialty Classes (Jump, Spin Classes)

Tuesdays:
5:10pm: Dance Class (D)
5:40pm: Basic 4 – Freeskate 3 Classes
6:10pm: NEW GSA Bridge Class
(Stroking & Performance)
(Elite and Academy Members Only)

BTW, a "bridge class" seems to be similar to Learn to Skate USA group lesson classes, but taught faster.
A "work session" is a freestyle or possibly ice dance (I think) session.

I will not take the class. :) I once went to a ballet class, elsewhere. They do physically impossible things with their bodies, that require infinite flexibility and muscles in the feet mere mortals don't possess.  I don't know how that relates to this class, but it definitely isn't for me.