You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Ulitma Finesse Line  (Read 14551 times)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Re: Jackson Ulitma Finesse Line
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
I don't do dance at all, so my needs were difference- I was not looking at the Finesse blade, just the boot.

In the end, we decided the idea could work if I got the upper level dance boot, as it would have enough stiffness for jumps, but the Finesse would not.  The upper level dance boot was too expensive for me, so I ditched the low-cut back idea.

Do you mean the Edea boot?

I tried on their dance boot, but it pinched me just behind the ankle bones.  None of the other boots did that.  Someone else had the same comment on the dance boot. 
My glass is half full :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
No, I am talking about Jackson boots.

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
Thanks, Skittle - good to know.  I'm still super curious about them though. Hmm . . . I foresee a trip to my pro-shop in the near future. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
They have the same strength level as the Jackson Freestyle.  If you are doing low level dances, then they should work for you.
But if you are doing the higher level dances that put more stress on the boot, then it might not be enough.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
I have JAckson Classiques now and they've got another 6 months in them, and I'm thinking of getting the Finesse next year. The one thing I want to know is the boot actually shorter up the leg than the Classique, or are those 3 hooks just spread out wider over the same distance. They're the same stiffness. So maybe it won't make any difference.

That was an issue with another boot I was looking at. It said it was a Dance boot, and it only had 3 hooks, but  someone on the board (Bill_S? Jim?) said it was actually the same height as the freestyle boot.

Sorry this is garrulous. It would be better if I could remember what the leg part of the boot is called. The shaft, maybe?

(Rant on: maybe I should just get the wussy JAckson Aspire with its 25 stiffness. It takes me a year to break in a boot God what I wouldn't give for the knees I had as a 14 year old.:Rant Off)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
No, I am talking about Jackson boots.

I was too tired when I read your post!  I saw "idea" and thought you might mean "Edea."  LOL
My glass is half full :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »
They should have cut down backs. I would bet the front is the same.height as regular boots. That is how dance boots usually are (or they have a flexible back.panel.at the normal.height).

Finesse should be slightly stiffer than classique.

Offline flo

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 33
  • Master Pairs
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »
Great questions.  I had the Jackson elite plus dance boot which is now discontinued and I am looking for another boot.  I am an adult artistic/ gold/master pairs level skater.  I loved the cut back and I usually had dance scallops put into my skates anyway. The dance boots were fine for jumps up to double sal.  You do have to have good jump technique, as you can not press back as it's elastic.  However, it is very useful in correcting positions in spins. Outside eagles were also harder as you had to really press down and not back. The new boots, DJ3900 do come in different stiffnesses, so if I got them, I'd probably go with strong.  I was looking at the finesse boots as well, but am not sure if they would be supportive enough.  The current Jackson dance boot is also a strong, and has 3 hooks, which I'm not sure about either.  The synchro boot was pretty comfortable, but it, like the pair I currently have do bother the back of my foot where the elastic meets the leather.  I wish there were another dance boot oiption.  I love the ability to flex and point the toe.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »
I don't think they discontinued the dance boot, it's just been renamed to the elite dance?  I think they actually made that change a few years ago but I could be wrong.

I don't think I would be able to skate in the finesse - it's just not stiff enough.

Jackson will for a fee modify any stock boot to have a lower back and/or fewer hooks though - you just need a fitter or pro shop aware of the options and how to order the boot that way.  One change is $50, but you can make up to 4 (which they consider a semi-custom) for $150.

Offline flo

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 33
  • Master Pairs
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:42 PM »
Hi,
There were two dance boot options, and I went to reorder mine, and was told it was discontinued.  The one I have has 4 hooks and is more like the coach or synchro boot.  I had the 3100 elite, but they just didn't fit at all, so I was left with a second pair of new boots that didn't fit (the first were Harlicks). These are now for sale! I went to the shop and Mike took down every boot he had for me to try on, and I chose the dance boot.  I really do like it with the exception of the irritation in the back.   I also think the finesse boots won't be stiff enough.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:58 AM »
The synchro boot was pretty comfortable, but it, like the pair I currently have do bother the back of my foot where the elastic meets the leather.  I wish there were another dance boot oiption.  I love the ability to flex and point the toe.

That's a common problem (at least, both DH's and my boots did that!  Does that make it "common"??)  Solution for us was to put a small piece of duct tape (the 1.5inch wide fabric stuff which is really strong) over the join.  Worked a treat.  I could wish Jackson did something to their method of joining the elastic to the leather though - it's obviously not a one-off problem.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Did you ever ask your coach about this?  I love the huge pick on my elites, and the support of the premieres for jumping, but those picks are hell for dance . . . I'm wondering about the finesse boot & blade as a second pair.  The price point is low enough that I could swing it without too many tears, lol, and if the boot is supportive enough for dance, I'd rather do that than switch out my elites for something with less pick (legacy?).

Is anyone else working with two pairs of skates?  I used to do it for figures and freestyle and don't remember having trouble switching back and forth . . . then again, I didn't have trouble with much back then, but I'm having trouble with everything these days.  :P

Did you ever get them? Or anyone else? I'm kind of thinking of asking for them with the new Eclipse dance blade and using them as a second dance pair. Decisions decisions.

Offline Elsa

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
No, not yet. I was waiting to see if anyone else was going to post, and then I did something to my foot. I've been off the ice for a few weeks.  :( 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
I think Agnes mentioned that she ordered a pair of Finesse boots a couple of weeks ago..I haven't seen any update about that though.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
I think Agnes mentioned that she ordered a pair of Finesse boots a couple of weeks ago..I haven't seen any update about that though.
Still waiting for them to come in. Any day now. :WS:
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
Still waiting for them to come in. Any day now. :WS:

It was supposed to be today, there were lesson conflicts. Oct 1 is official day I get to pick them up.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
I'm sorry, I forgot to reply to this post after the boots came in. I've only skated in them at the fitters, so I can't give you a report in detail. I blogged about them, here, but after Friday when I get a chance to skate in them I'll give a better report.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
I'm sorry, I forgot to reply to this post after the boots came in. I've only skated in them at the fitters, so I can't give you a report in detail. I blogged about them, here, but after Friday when I get a chance to skate in them I'll give a better report.

Because I have a dance test soon, I don't want to confuse my feet. I'll post a report in December.

Offline Elsa

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
Thanks Agnes, I'm still off the ice (*headdesk*), so in no hurry to order new boots.  Thanks for keeping us in the loop though . . . and good luck on your test!  :)

Offline Orange

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
I have Jackson Classique now, bought because I needed "temporary" boots, and I already suspect they won't last long if I keep skating regularly. But they are a good fit for me - my old Edea caused me way too much pain because of foot cramps; with Jackson I don't have any, and they're comfy like slippers. I want to upgrade to either Premiere or Elite. Technically, Premiere is my level, but I wonder if I also need to take unto account my weight - I'm quite tall and have a but of postpartum "padding" - and go for stiffer boots. My Edea Angel used to be quite stiff, and I like the feeling of strong support. Any thoughts?

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
I have Jackson Classique now, bought because I needed "temporary" boots, and I already suspect they won't last long if I keep skating regularly. But they are a good fit for me - my old Edea caused me way too much pain because of foot cramps; with Jackson I don't have any, and they're comfy like slippers. I want to upgrade to either Premiere or Elite. Technically, Premiere is my level, but I wonder if I also need to take unto account my weight - I'm quite tall and have a but of postpartum "padding" - and go for stiffer boots. My Edea Angel used to be quite stiff, and I like the feeling of strong support. Any thoughts?

I'd recommend the Jackson Premiere - that is what I am in and I'm at a similar level to you. I am quite heavy yet they are still fine and very supportive for what I'm doing. They are very comfy boots too! Lots of padding and a rolled topline.

Elites are very stiff boots, I think I'd only move to them if I ever do doubles.

Probably best to go to a shop and try them on to see how you feel in them too, but I think you'll like the Premieres :)