You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Travelling with skates?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Travelling with skates?
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
So how do you travel with skates? Will they be checked in or carry on? In the summer I'll be travelling internationally for about a month and a half. And I plan to skate when im there. Im scared that if I check them in, that TSA or security will be curious and check something or like mess with my skates. Or if I make it my carry on when im in some checkpoint, they confiscate it. Help? :-[

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Travelling with skates?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:10:25 AM »
I have checked them, they were in hard guards (dry hard guards!) and then in soft fabric pouches for each skate.  It was within the country and they were fine.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:13:42 AM »
My DD has carried them on in her zucchini bag for cross country flights. We never have a problem going out as we live in a cold weather state. It took a little longer going through security on the way home (California & Texas), but nothing major.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:12 AM »
If you are flying internationally you will probably need to check your skates in. Lots of countries do not allow them in your hand luggage at all so you will have no choice.

Check with your carrier and rules of the country(s) you will be going to.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
I generally check my skates when I travel to Europe, just because it's easier than hauling them through airports.  When I went to England in December though, my checked bag was too heavy with the skates inside so I packed them in my carry on.  I put the plastic guards on and then added big, fluffy blade overs over those as padding.  With great trepidation I watched the TSA people scan the bag; one young agent called her supervisior over to verify what she saw, the supervisor just shrugged and said, "They're ice skates." and let them pass.  I heaved a great sigh of relief. :)  On the way home, though, I put the skates in checked baggage.  I don't need the stress.

If you're hopping around different countries in Europe, though, I'd check with the various airlines.  The baggage requirements vary.  I've never had a problem with skates in my checked bag but I haven't tried to carry them on on flights within Europe either.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
On the way home, though, I put the skates in checked baggage.  I don't need the stress.
Just as well you did! Skates are not allowed in hand luggage on flights originating in Europe. Skates in checked in luggage is fine though! ;)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:04:47 AM »
My DD has carried them on in her zucchini bag for cross country flights.

A zucchini bag?!  ;D

Anyhoo, Qantas doesn't allow them as carry on, so even on the little hop to Melbourne, I checked them and will again.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
I can offer advice. I work for a major airline.

TSA now allows skates on board. I have always checked mine. I bring them wherever I go--which involves a lot of international travel. I have never had a problem. I just check everything anyway because I hate schlepping things through airports.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »
On my trip last weekend I asked TSA about skates- they are allowed in the carryon.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:16 AM »
On my trip last weekend I asked TSA about skates- they are allowed in the carryon.

Does that only apply to local flights or international flights too?

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 12:43:20 AM »
Does that only apply to local flights or international flights too?

This is on all flights originating in and operating within the United States. TSA has no way to differentiate between international and domestic travel because they all leave out of the same terminals, unlike in Europe. Maybe I'll have to experiment and hop on a flight to Europe with my skates as a test run and report back to see what they do in Europe.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:26 AM »
This is on all flights originating in and operating within the United States. TSA has no way to differentiate between international and domestic travel because they all leave out of the same terminals, unlike in Europe. Maybe I'll have to experiment and hop on a flight to Europe with my skates as a test run and report back to see what they do in Europe.

Whats the last thing that might happen? They confiscate your skates?

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:31:52 AM »
No, they will not confiscate your skates. The worst case scenario is that they'll send you back to the ticket counter to check them. But it's not going to happen in the United States. Really. Trust me.  ;) I work for one of the big majors in Boston and I'm on an airplane 5 or 6 times a month. I know what goes through and what doesn't.  I talk to TSA people like they're regular people.