You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Softec skates  (Read 2225 times)

Offline ferelu

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 5
Softec skates
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding Reidell SF 13 skates and Softec Softskate GS-180 skates. How are the picks on these skates? These skates would be good until what level? If a skater is doing camel spins and flips, should she upgrade to something better?

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Softec skates
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
It's a recreational blade, of the skater is doing any type of jump she needs to upgrade pronto! That pick is way too small for her level.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
A skater doing camel spins and up to flip jumps should probably be in low-level freestyle boots and blades, not any sort of soft skate.  The soft skates really aren't good for anything past very beginning basic skills levels.

Offline ferelu

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
Why are the softskates not good past the learning to skate stages? I'm just trying to get better informed. I looked at the skate and it pretty stiff and does have plenty of ankle support.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
it's like taking up jogging in Keds sneakers.  Sure you can, but you will only get problems as you go along.  If you just look line at the description Riedell is very clear it is only for beginner recreational skater.  Flips and camels are not recreational skaters. 

I was able to get dd a pair of Jackson some color ribbon skates for about $100 and included the blade.  They lasted her through delta.

You might go to a skate shop and compare a beginner boot with a rec boot and ask the employee to point out the difference.  Honestly side by side, in your hands they are as different as night and day.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
It's a recreational blade, of the skater is doing any type of jump she needs to upgrade pronto! That pick is way too small for her level.

Actually, I have students doing salchows and toe loops in those skates.  IMO, the biggest problem is that the blade placement cannot be adjusted.  I do think by the time single jumps are being tackled, it's time to move up, but that's not always possible.
My glass is half full :)

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
If at all possible, I would upgrade. A coach should be able to point you in the right direction and tell you what type of skate you should be looking at, although i would be wary of anyone who insists on a specific brand. Alternatively, check out what other skaters of a similar level are wearing and go with something similar to the majority (there's probably one or two with top of the range skates crippling their poor child, and one or two with beginner skates like yourself). If money is an issue, see if anyone else has just outgrown a pair and would be willing to sell them on secondhand (better than ebay as your child can try them on before you buy). Be aware that the kids shoe size for street shoes may differ from their skate size as there's a lot of variation between brands.

The smaller and lighter a skater is, the lower level skates they can get away with, but i wouldn't stay in recreational skates for jumps and spins unless absolutely neccessary finanically