You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Knee pads revisited  (Read 2899 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Knee pads revisited
« on: December 22, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
We were asked to get dd knee pads that velcro on and off because the coach wants to see her knees without padding in camels and flying spins but she needs pads for jumps.  The idea being that the pads will go over her pants for most of the lesson but when the focus is on the spins the pads come off immediately.

Are there any other types aside from this? http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Knee-Pads-Jerry855.htm

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Knee pads revisited
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
I wear dance pads that I leave on.. they're "almost" invisible even under tights... under pants you almost can't see them at all.

http://shop.justforkix.com/product/bh1650/bunheads-gel-knee-pads.html

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
There's also these:  http://www.skate-mart.com/catalog/training1.shtml

And here's a page with a lot of commentary on knee pads. But most of them will be too bulky for your 'kneeds'. The good thing is, you can find something as a cheap fill in at some of the big box sports stores while you look for something better.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
I use the skatingsafe ones under a length of tubigrip (elastic tubular bandage) cut to approx twice the length of the pad.  Pull tubigrip on so top edge is about where you want the top edge of the pad to be; place pad over tubigrip; then holding pad with one hand, fold up the excess length over the pad.  The pad can't slip down past the fold at the bottom of the knee.

I do think the skatingsafe-style pads are the best around as far as protection goes because they protect the sides as well as the front, but until I started using the tubigrip I found them inconvenient.  However, using tubigrip to hold them on means you can use them without needing the compression of tights, and the pads are quick and easy to remove temporarily.  You can also get tubigrip in skin colour, which visually "disappears" quite well if your DD is wearing a practice dress or skirt.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »
He was very specific about no pads on her knees at all for part of the lesson.  I'm leery of buying something when he was clear he wanted velcro so it can come off right away mid lesson. 

I found these also:
http://bungapads.com/bunga-removable-knee-pad.html

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
I bought inexpensive (~$12/pair) youth size kneepads at a sporting goods store, cut the elastic sleeve in back and sewed on velcro tabs above and below the knee.  Those worked pretty well.  My daughter used them for working on double axels at first, but they're a bit bulky for her and she won't wear them anymore.  I'm thinking of trying the thinner dance knee pads and getting her to wear them all the time or trying the velcro again.  I worry that one bad fall and she'll be off the ice or worse.  We have the gel knee pads, but we haven't had much luck getting them to stay in place around her knees (one works great as a tailbone pad though).

Another girl at the rink wears a sleeve (elbow sleeve I think, as she's tiny) and keeps it around her ankle.  It's snug and not bulky.  Then she'll pull it up and slip in a foam pad over her knee.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Roller blading pads are too bulky. What about attaching Velcro to a pair of gel pads directly, or sew cute little pockets?

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »
A lot of girls at my rink wear the volleyball knee pads (the single-layer foam ones), when they aren't in use, they slip them down to the top of their skates and "park" them there out of the way.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »
I might see if my sewing machine (a little one) can sew through her current pads.  They tried solving them down to the boot but she said it "felt too weird". 

I will try on her oldest ones first.  If it works that would be great!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »
A lot of girls at my rink wear the volleyball knee pads (the single-layer foam ones), when they aren't in use, they slip them down to the top of their skates and "park" them there out of the way.

This is what my DD uses....volleyball knee pads.