You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Large Male hoping to find some useful advice  (Read 12040 times)

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 19
Re: Large Male hoping to find some useful advice
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 04:29:17 AM »
Back on the cellphone typing again, so expect odd length and random attempts to summarize all my thoughts to all the posts. Originally, I had set out to just skate. I figured, hockey skates and just do laps and get into it.. But the more I read about figure skating.. The more I feel the urge to go for it.. I feel like the guy in that damn article Agnes's posted (Im a sucker for success stories like that)... I don't know what im going to do.. I just know I want to do it.. I felt a swell of complete happiness as I circled around that rink. I felt impressive when I was avoiding the little kids, and not dying when I went further away from the comfort of the wall. Just reading more and thinking about this makes me want to go skating again. I may go check this Desert Ice Castle when I get off work. I may just take a nap first. Im pretty exhausted from staying up reading all damn day about stuff. Lol... Maybe ill make a journal and then make it into a blog. We'll see. 

Quote from: Google Translator
Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
So I went today. And let me just say.. Im impressed. Because its in a wealthier part of town, I got lucky enough to ride in some Jackson figure skates. I'll edit thus later and explain more about what happend. Just a little excited so I had to post. Im starting to alter my diet, and im feeling really happy. I was on the ice for almost a whole hour. Several people gave me compliments, and I got hit on by a gay guy. He was super impressed with how well I was doing for my second time. Post more later, and a video too :-o

Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
Can't wait to hear!

You might have to start posting in our good/bad practice threads :)

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
But the more I read about figure skating.. The more I feel the urge to go for it..

I don't know what im going to do.. I just know I want to do it.. I felt a swell of complete happiness as I circled around that rink. I felt impressive when I was avoiding the little kids, and not dying when I went further away from the comfort of the wall.

Maybe ill make a journal and then make it into a blog. We'll see. 

Just a quick word of encouragement, KCK, from myself, Ponytails, to continue to review and decide what you want to do with your skating goals. You are to be commended for your enthusiasm, but take the time to decide just how all of the advice and comments given to you can be useful to you. I hope you can continue to learn and experience ice skating, it can help you in so many ways.

By all means, start a blog if you like. But the trouble with blogs is that if everyone does one ( and these days everyone does ), how can one keep up by reading and commenting on all of the blogs ? That could take several hours a day to stay up on everything, and how many people have the time to sit and type at a computer answering blogs for several hours each day ?
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »
I have a government job working odd hours, so classes really would be hard for me to attend. I imagine I could attend the Saturday classes at the "Desert Ice Castle"  which runs from 9am-9:30am.. But... I'd have to leave work, rush home, change, drive right out there, and hope I make it in time. Needless to say, if I was late... They won't be holding the class. Working graveyard kinda prohibits the idea of going at the 4pm classes offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays.. But, I'll see what I can come up with.

Just want to chime in on this one, I'm on the graveyard shift as well, been on it for about 2 months with 6ish weeks until it might change. Right now I'm only skating once a week, but I get home about 8am, nap until 10:30ish, do public session from 11a-1p, head home for and sleep again from 2:30-3ish until 7-7:30ish and go to work again. A little unorthodox but it seems to work. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone with the odd hours.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 04:16:55 AM »
Good to know that there are others out there who experience the same thing as me on graveyard. As far as what ponytails said.. I may just make a journal, whereas it would be private writings, but also pictures and videos to document my progress. I can't deny that I understand people saying keep at it and make sure its for you. I completely understand, but I tell you now.. I can't see walking away.

I have no excuse. This new rink is close, not super packed, and will allow me to brush elbows with other figure skaters. I talked with several people who had their own skates, and a lot of them are actively being coached or getting some form of lessons. i have a good diving board for getting started. I can't see stopping now.. I gotta commit, or i may die in my 30s. I want time to live. And hell, if I can do that by doing salchows and other stuff I don't know how to spell, so be it. So be it.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Practice helps, but initial athleticism matters a lot. There were years when I practiced 20 hours/week, under first class coaches, but I still have trouble with the most basic turns, spins and jumps. Accept that she will be better, and be happy for her.

Some rinks supply rental skates that provide good ankle support, some don't, and also vary in what widths they carry. Check out several pair at the rink, to see if something fits and meets your needs. You may be able to use rentals, especially if you arrive early enough to always ask for the same (numbered?) pair. I like to have my boots on before the session starts - the ice is least crowded during the first 10-20 minutes.

As a big guy, if you buy, the major specialty stores (Anaheim?) are unlikely to have your size in stock, so you can't try the skates on, which is otherwise a great idea. So you need a good fitter to help you order. Since a lot of people mention the store in Anaheim, it may be worthwhile.

Make sure the fitter knows how to adjust the skates you buy for balance! Some fitters can't handle non-leather soles, or blades held on by rivets, and a few don't know how to adjust balance at all.

I believe one of the best things we can do is to learn how to fall without hurting ourselves. Practice, to speed up your reflexes. Start low, from sitting position, and work your way up. See my page http://mgrunes.com/falling.html You have more padding then some, but you also can put more force on your body.

Hockey boots are harder to balance at first, and they work a little differently. If you decide to get lessons with the lady friend, ask her whether she would enjoy hockey or figure skating more - and get boots that fit that purpose. Also check what types of skating are available during your convenient hours - e.g., if there are no "stick and puck" practices and pick up hockey games sessions for adults, hockey is a lost cause.

You lift 300 pounds every time you move, so you are strong! I don't think it is realistic to expect to lose weight very quickly. Books say that if you lose over about .1 pounds/day on a prolonged basis, you probably weaken your heart, unless you do serious physical training. Buy for your current size, then add a little filler inside your boots when you lose weight. If you buy small, it's a lot of pain and hassle.

My page on modifying boots: http://mgrunes.com/boots/boots.html

Though I've changed my mind on boot fit from when I wrote that, after talking to experts: getting the position of the ball of your foot right, so the back of your heel touches while the ball of your foot can bend at the place the insole bends, is much more important than getting the length right - as long as the boot doesn't press at the front of or around the sides of your toes. Also, different brands of boot are designed to fit your foot differently, so the way the foot is measured (e.g., standing or sitting, and what the size numbers mean) depend entirely on the brand of boot. You need a knowledgeable fitter.

BTW, if you have problems with poor blood circulation (e.g., if your feet tingle or go numb in snug boots, or you can't feel how your feet fit the boots all over), stop, and ask your doctor if you can safely wear snug fitting boots. If not, take her swimming instead.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
Well Query.. Here's where I stand on the matter. I don't see this as a competition between my girlfriend and I. I've loved ice skating since I was young, so trust me.. I'm not expecting to "beat" her or anything like that. I also will not and can not depend on this as my only weight loss method. I don't expect to lose a ton of weight right off the bat, I know it will take time and effort. The place I found nearest me has actual good boots, and I plan to use those til I get better.

No, I don't plan on going for hockey. Im not a fan of hockey and I don't see myself becoming a hockey player. I will go for a mildly experienced figure skater over the next few years, that'll suit me just fine. I don't expect this to be an overnight thing. Im just enjoying the baby steps.

Thanks for the great advice so far. :-)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »
RE a blog.  I kept a blog for a long time.  Readers just happened.  I didn't write for them, I wrote for myself to track a "journey".  So my advice is to write for yourself.  You'll enjoy a "journal".  After I had a couple hundred regular readers it started to feel weird.  It helped me get through a phase of my life though and I am glad for the experience. 

RE Skating.  I love that it is something you and your gf can do together.  I know couples who run or play tennis as their thing and they seem closer for it. 

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »
Haha, oddly enough we both play Tennis. She played as a Varsity player when she was a Freshman. Needless to say, she was devastated when after playing for only 3 months, she could no longer beat me. Im a fast fat man. Lol, but yeah.. We don't play Tennis anymore, because she gets overly competitive. That's why ice skating is actually Better for us. :-)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »
HA ha!!!!  Too funny.   :D

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
We don't play Tennis anymore, because she gets overly competitive.

Maybe you should try ice dancing together, because it's hard for dance partners to compete.

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
Good to know that there are others out there who experience the same thing as me on graveyard. As far as what ponytails said.. I may just make a journal, whereas it would be private writings, but also pictures and videos to document my progress. I can't deny that I understand people saying keep at it and make sure its for you. I completely understand, but I tell you now.. I can't see walking away.

I have no excuse. This new rink is close, not super packed, and will allow me to brush elbows with other figure skaters. I talked with several people who had their own skates, and a lot of them are actively being coached or getting some form of lessons. i have a good diving board for getting started. I can't see stopping now.. I gotta commit, or i may die in my 30s. I want time to live. And hell, if I can do that by doing salchows and other stuff I don't know how to spell, so be it. So be it.

Yes definitely...honestly in some ways it is better because I'm on public sessions (less $$$) and they're during the day when most other people are at work/school. This week, I think there were about 7ish skaters and 4 or 5 coaches on the public session giving moves or dance lessons. Honestly for me skating is two things, the only exercise I wake up and want to do every day if I could and my sanity saver. Not sure if it is working the graveyard (having weird meal times) or the skating or both, but I've dropped ~15lbs without really trying.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
kck, I like skating because as 'a person of size' I find it's much less stressful than aerobics or running, or even walking. I had to quit aerobics because it made my hips ache, the ache was immediately relieved by skating for 15 minutes. Totally different exercise experience.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »
Its pretty nice. Im a very chatty person so I talk to a lot of people. I went skating again today and im certainly improving (And Agnes thanks for the lacing video, it helped!). I now have circulation to my feet! Oh, and the gay guy who hit on me yesterday was skating today! He didn't skate yesterday but I convinced him! He was so happy to see me and he took my lacing advice and he was doing pretty good for his first time! Oh and I helped two people by skating beside them and reminding them to bend their knees and not skate on their heels. One of the older ladies who works there just adores me and is excited I want to go with Figure Skating. Im going again tomorrow! :-D

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »
Its pretty nice. Im a very chatty person so I talk to a lot of people. I went skating again today and im certainly improving (And Agnes thanks for the lacing video, it helped!). I now have circulation to my feet! Oh, and the gay guy who hit on me yesterday was skating today! He didn't skate yesterday but I convinced him! He was so happy to see me and he took my lacing advice and he was doing pretty good for his first time! Oh and I helped two people by skating beside them and reminding them to bend their knees and not skate on their heels. One of the older ladies who works there just adores me and is excited I want to go with Figure Skating. Im going again tomorrow! :-D

Kck, your enthusiasm is contagious. I totally want to go check out Desert Ice Castle now.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 03:00:01 AM »
Well, if you want ill be there tomorrow for the public session. It runs from 2:15-4:15. I got to get my car serviced at 1pm and then after that im heading straight there. I'll be the 6'2" fat guy occasionally doing decent for an amateur ;-) -- I'll respond to my name on here or my name off the forum -- Jarrett. :-)

EDIT:: I just wanted to add to that.. Since I've never really interacted with anyone from the forum in person before, if you were able to make it out, I'd genuinely appreciate it.  Essentially everything I learned is from here in a sense.. From my lacing to how to basically skate . Itd be nice to see someone who can do things that I can only dream of at this point. Me and my girlfriend will be there so no matter what skill level you are at, you will impress her. Hell, at this point just seeing something from Basic 7 will be crazy in person ;-)

Oh, and as a PS: I had to bring up the curriculum to see if Basic 4 was something I'd never seen. I have since revised my statement :-P

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
kck, I like skating because as 'a person of size' I find it's much less stressful than aerobics or running, or even walking. I had to quit aerobics because it made my hips ache, the ache was immediately relieved by skating for 15 minutes. Totally different exercise experience.

A little OT, and I apologize for double posting: Hey Agnes, I recall seeing you mention that you have an old Evelyn Kramer coat which I guess is what spawned the User Title "Wearing Evelyn Kramer's coat" -- It got me wondering who the heck she is. So I googled her, and seen a picture of her and thought.. "Wait.. That lady looks familiar..." and I go on to read she coaches at the place I go to *in* Cathedral City, the Desert Ice Castle. If it wasn't for the internet, I'd never know I was rubbing elbows with *important* people! :-D

I don't know what the odds of me approaching her and saying "Hey, so someone I know was wondering if she could get another one of your old coats" and it actually working, but... Just thought I'd point it out :-p

EDIT:: First asterisks, added the word in. Second asterisks, added the word important. Feel free to mentally remove those words that are encircled by asterisks, and you can see why I shouldn't be working graveyard. That's what posting at 5AM does to ya.

#evelynkramerscoat

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 09:23:51 AM »

I don't know what the odds of me approaching her and saying "Hey, so someone I know was wondering if she could get another one of your old coats" and it actually working, but... Just thought I'd point it out :-p

HAHA! This would be WAY too funny. 

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Hmmmm, I've always wondered about the origin of "Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat." I must've missed something.  Is it a distinctive coat?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
Hmmmm, I've always wondered about the origin of "Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat." I must've missed something.  Is it a distinctive coat?

For the newbies, this was the original thread about EK's Coat on skatingforums_v.1:
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1989.0.html

(Restored from the archives)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 11:03:39 AM »
A-Ha! Thanks for posting the archive. Very amusing. Yes, indeed, that is SOME coat.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »
For the newbies, this was the original thread about EK's Coat on skatingforums_v.1:
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1989.0.html

(Restored from the archives)

Dan Brown version:

The coat was something to behold.. It carried with it numerous markings predated to a time where cults had no shame in flashing their allegiance. The accentuated hand prints marked by some gleaming substances harken to a secret society circa 1274 with ties to the 1782 Illuminati. What makes this more remarkable is that it is only owned by the elite, damn shame some of the rarest portions of the jacket took a besting by someone going dog walking.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
Kck, your enthusiasm is so contagious!  Please be careful and pace your practices.  Too much too soon has a potential for an injury.  Figure skating works your body in a very different way, so be prepared to listen to your body and rest if needed. 
It is a very addicting sport- as all of us can attest to :-)

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »
Man I'm sure glad I came here! So much wonderful advice. I've come leaps and bounds from a week ago. But I'll continue to persevere. I will keep this thread open in case people have more advice, but I just wanted to stop and thank you all. I finally posted in the Introductions section, feel free to read it, and post. I don't mind at all. It's my lengthiest post yet, but summarizes my first week of skating pretty well. So enjoy everyone, and I will continue to persevere! :-p