You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Large Male hoping to find some useful advice  (Read 12024 times)

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 19
Large Male hoping to find some useful advice
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
Alright.. Allow me to introduce myself, albeit this may not be the most optimal place for an intro, but.. I do need what a pro-shop would typically be able to offer... Also, im not at a computer and typing this on a digital qwerty pad, so please forgive what errors I may make.

Now, a bit of background.. I've been to a rink I'd say 11 times or so. 10 of those times, when I was near 8 years old, and I was probably nearer the 100lb range and using rentals. Lets fast-forward to today. I am 23 years old, 6'2" and over 300 pounds. I decided as a cute date idea to take my girlfriend for her first time skating.. And she was a natural. She fell once, and there were a few people at the rink who gave us some tips, very friendly atmosphere. I live in Southern Cali, and this rink was 2 and a half hours away.

I on the other hand, didn't live up to my "it's like a bike, ill pick it up easily" -- I tied my laces horribly at first and buckled my way to the ice while laughing hysterically and got on the ice and almost fell immediately. Luckily, that wasn't when I first fell. I stepped off the ice and got some advice to lace them hard as possible. I did as such an improved. This was the first time I fell. But, I made a full loop. After losing the fear of breaking something, I got bolder and remembered to bend my knees more. Well I was naturally hooked.

Long story short.. Since now my phone id lagging from so much text entered.. I've been reading a lot on here since that day and want to get deeper into this and lose a lot of weight in the process.. Now, where should I start, short of paying for classes? The reason i ask in such a manner is because i don't know any resources out here in southern California. I would love to get some skates for just gliding around and learning then moving up into more advanced stuff and happily paying for lessons.. But i want to know where i should begin so i don't get ripped off or wind up buying some boots i found on amazon because they had 5 star reviews. I  really dont want to come on hear sounding rude, and i say this for a few reasons...

I know every answer im looking for is probably here, but maybe there's newer developments that could help someone like me or at least tips that people can recommend for a guy my size. I don't mind paying , i just don't want to get ripped off. Thanks!!!

Quote from: Google Translator
Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Large Male hoping to find some useful advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

I unfortunately cannot offer you any advice on skates, but I will say- if you are really interested in skating, I'd get into group classes.  They usually are not very expensive, can give you a bit of a social outlet, and will keep you from teaching yourself improper techniques.

You will then also have the resources of the instructors to help you figure out the best skates for you.

Can you give us a bit more of an idea of where in Southern California you are?  There is quite a bit of skating there (more resources than I have out her in Iowa at least...), but of course- Southern California is a BIG area :)

(And for lacing skates- you don't want to lace them as hard as possible, but for beginners that is probably better advice than very loose.  You want a balance between support and ability to move.  You shouldn't be cutting off circulation or causing pain.)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
I'd look in your local parks and rec catalog.  Adult classes are often offered and they cover lacing, how to get down and back up and basic skating skills.  They are usually nominal in cost (about 40-50 dollars) and last about 4 weeks and include skate rental and practice time.  After doing a session of that, you might want to sign up through the rink directly - that is when they start teaching more basics and talk to a proshop about skates (with advice from a coach).  Most adults in Parks and Rec use the rink skates, it when they move to the regular adult program that they start thinking about their own skates.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
Well, as far as my location in Southern California.. I'm in the desert portion, located in the middle of nowhere. To be a bit more clear, I live roughly an hour from Palm Springs, which I only last night found they have a rink in Cathedral City called the "Desert Ice Castle" which do offer classes, and each session is $15 for 30 minutes, and they offer like 9 week programs which cost $100. Now, they are a new rink and I don't really know the community and their reliability. This is why I figured I should come on to here.

By the way, I am on an actual computer now. For the visit to the rink we went to Ontario. Which is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours drive. The whole drive was for skating, as I really wanted to skate. And now I'm really wanting to further my skills. Besides that, I made the mistake of bringing my girlfriend. Since she did so amazing, of course all she can do now is watch videos on youtube and talk about the new stuff she feels she can learn off youtube. I of course keep telling her to pace herself, you need to master basics before you try and get anywhere near doing that. Just get your balance down and practice pacing yourself. As I said, she fell once in a 3 hour session. I on the other hand, only fell 3 times. But, then again.. Being a man of my low stamina and endurance matched with over 300 pounds of weight, I couldn't remain on the ice for extended periods. I'd do a lap or two, then go sit down or stand by the penalty box and breathe and get up the courage to do another lap.

Even with the problems I face, I know I can get better. And on top of that, I need to lose weight. I have a government job working odd hours, so classes really would be hard for me to attend. I imagine I could attend the Saturday classes at the "Desert Ice Castle"  which runs from 9am-9:30am.. But... I'd have to leave work, rush home, change, drive right out there, and hope I make it in time. Needless to say, if I was late... They won't be holding the class. Working graveyard kinda prohibits the idea of going at the 4pm classes offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays.. But, I'll see what I can come up with.

You are very correct about the horrible lacing I was doing, but it did help. I know that being 300 pounds and standing on two slim blades probably isn't the easiest thing in the world, but after lacing up the boots super tight, they worked a lot better. But I found walking off the ice, I had to bow my ankles out, which I can only imagine is super terrible to do and not recommended for any length of time since it is causing unneccessary wear and tear on my joints. This is what drives me to want to get my own boots. I figure, I know I'll stick with it if I make a financial investment towards it. But then there are soo many options and things i need to learn...

Like... Having a proper bag. I would need the proper guards and know how to wipe off my boots, and also proper care about keeping them from getting too moist.. Then things like.. Should I get leather, or should I get the PVC? I figure probably PVC for my first boots, and then move up to leather and start getting the waxes and stuff I see people talking about. Keep in mind, I went skating for the first time in years Sunday. Monday I slept all day and worked last night, and it is now 10:50AM -- So all the stuff I've read I've read in the last 24 hours or so -- And almost all of that was from here. I've been trying to absorb as much information as possible, and at the same time try and figure out the best plan of attack for myself..

So bottom line is.. My nearest rink is 57 miles from my house. And I would like to start making weekly drives. I just bought a new 2012 car, so I don't mind putting over a hundred miles a week or more on it. This rink is a new rink, opened in September. I might go and check it out later today, and go to their Public Session from 2:15 to 4:15. So to hopskip, I believe I answered most of the things you mentioned in regards to taking classes, and the place I mentioned is like a city sponsored rink. So that's pretty much my launch pedestal.

Now, do you see why I stopped typing on my phone? If I put all this on my phone.. Wow, my phone probably would have crashed by the fourth "paragraph." Thanks for reading if you made it this far :-p

Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »
I don't know much about the rink in Cathedral City except that Frank Carrol coaches there.  He is one of the absolute best coaches in the nation.  Now- you won't be taking from him...  but that means the rink is trying to attract good staff.  That is good news in terms of them being able to help you buy skates.  At least SOMEONE there should know what they are talking about.

For a beginner, you are fine getting skates with PVC soles.  Leather is generally better because the blades can be changed out more easily (blades with screws can be changed, blades with rivets cannot be) but for an absolute beginner who hasn't started lessons yet, that isn't too much of a concern.  

Around here, most adults do not buy skates until they get to Basic 4 or 5, as that is the level where you can handle a bit more of a toe-pick, and then you can get the lowest level Freestyle boots.  If you buy skates before Basic 5, you will want a fairly small toepick (like on a rental skate) and they will need to be replaced when you are up to higher levels.  That's one reason to stay in rentals for a little bit, if you progress quickly, you will be better off buying a slightly better skate than a beginner can handle.  Some people don't progress quickly though, so if you can afford beginner skates , using your own equipment is always better.

There is definetly a concern about putting someone very heavy in low level skates, but I'm not sure if the support issue outweighs the problem that stiffer skates will have too big of a toe pick for a beginner.  Does that rink have a pro-shop (mine doesn't)?  Or can you see if someone there will recommend a boot fitter?

You should also call the rink and see if Beginners are allowed on Coffee Club ice.  If you can fit that into your schedule, that can be a good way to meet other adults, and if you are talkative, you can likely get some good advice from people who may know a little more than general public session skaters.

As you buy equipment- we can definetly help you out on care and useage.  #1- no such thing as a proper bag. You can spend lots of money to get a fancy skater one, or you can throw them in a Duffle like most men do (I am a woman, but use my old school backpack.  #2- protect the blades in the bag with soft guards called "soakers".  You want to wipe your blades dry, then put the soakers on.  This helps them from smashing into each other, and also draws away any extra moisture.  #3 hard plastic blade guards are used for walking around.  I only have a short walk on mats from where I put the blades on to get to the ice, so I never use hard guards except the week before a competition.

It sounds like after only one trip to the rink you have a severe case of AOSS- adult onset skating syndrome.  Welcome to the club!

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
I'm in So. Cali about 45 minutes from Palm Desert. I know the marketing director at Desert Ice Castle used to coach at Center Ice Arena in Ontario (there are  2 rinks right down the street from each other in Ontario) I am not sure how well Desert Ice Castles skating school is set up, I do know that none of the students from the desert area left Center Ice when Desert Ice Castle opened.

I'm not sure if Desert Ice Castle has a pro-shop, but most likely the best place for you to go to get an excellent fit and good advice is going to be Anaheim (USA Skates or Anaheim Ice, which are across the street from each other, both have very good reputations as figure skating pro shops.)

Center Ice Arena (one of the rinks in Ontario) just opened a pro shop, however I wouldn't recommend them yet.... IceTown in Riverside also has a pro shop, they carry figure skates (only women's sizes in stock) but are geared towards hockey (they are run by HockeyMonkey.com).

As for lessons, I highly high recommend that you work with a professional right from the beginning whether it is in classes or private lessons. Trying to self-teach leads to bad habits that will end up needed to be corrected later on. If you would like a referral for a coach at the Ontario rink (Center Ice Arena), i'd be happy to tell you about the coaches there. I do not work there, but that is where I skate and I am familiar with most of the coaches. Just PM me.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of figure skating :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
Free advice is overpriced, but here goes:

. At 300 lbs and 6'2", start with a doctor's checkup to make sure you're fit enough.

Once you get that go-ahead:
. Start doing off-ice exercises daily, in your case aerobic exercise is just as important as core strength.
. Balance and Core videos or video games are good off-ice workouts a few times each week.
. Get your own skates and skate weekly (or more) for at least 8 times to make sure you like it.
. Get the skates sharpened before use and store with dry soakers on them.
. Use the hard rubber guards when you're walking around.
. Dry the skates and blades well before putting the soakers on for storage.
. Most adults just use an old carryon suitcase or a backpack/tote for skates.

. Take the group lessons to start out - they're your most economic option.
. If you have a choice, go with the Basic 1-8 track instead of the Adult track.
. Print out the curriculum and keep it in your skate bag.
. In addition to the lesson, plan on spending 2-3 additional hours  each week skating and practicing the elements on your curriculum sheet.

I suspect the reason you're struggling is because of your weight - you've most likely grown in both height and weight since you were little, so your center of gravity and strength have changed.  You have to regain your strength and balance, which will help you lose weight, but you have make sure you're eating properly and at the right times.

Bring a snack to eat after you skate - something healthy - to prevent Snack Bar Temptation.

As for what skates to get, it's tricky.  I would suspect that you have a wide foot and there aren't that many choices of men's skates with wide widths.  Most pro shops aren't carrying stock in adult sizes because of the economy, so finding a place to try on skates is difficult.  There aren't a lot of men's used skates for sale regularly.

Start by finding out the correct size for both Riedell and Jackson skates - they have separate measuring sticks.  The pro shop can measure you and recommend a model.  Given your size, you need a pair of skates with good support, so you don't break them down too quickly.  All-PVC models cannot support your weight - they'd be like socks within a few weeks.

Jackson has a men's model called the "Marquis," but they only come in one width.
You could pay a little extra and order a wide-width Classique in black.
Both have PVC-bottoms and leather/vinyl uppers, so they're low-maintenance.
If not, the Jackson Freestyles are the next step up, but they're more expensive and have a bigger blade which might be too much for a beginner.

Riedell models are the same: the Men's Riedell 121 only comes in a "Medium" width, but the white version comes in Medium and Wide.  For a price, they could order the right color for you.  You can just wear them as-is (white) or put on a pair of black boot covers.  The next step up is the 133TS, but it's a little more pricey and has a freestyle blade on it, which will take some getting used to after wearing oversharpened rentals.

That's my 2ยข worth - good luck and welcome to skatingforums!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
I agree. The rental skates are not going to support you. I really urge you to go to a good pro shop and be fitted. Get some instruction, whether in classes or private lessons. Things will go much more smoothly for you than if you try to do this on your own relying only on advice from absent strangers.

Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of ice skating!! Have fun! and keep us informed of your progress and adventures.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
The Big Guy is 6'3" and weighs 280. He skates in Jackson Supremes. Based on many discussions with him, you may need to go to the competitive level boots. The Big Guy was doing single jumps and he went through two pairs of Elite Supremes a year. You might expect that without jumping you may need to replace boots annually.

Based on the Big Guy's experience, don't expect your beginner's boots to last all that long. However, if you don't like them you can expect not to be stuck with them all that long.

He swore by Jacksons though. I'm a fan of their women's line.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
AgnesNitt-  were there any problems with using blades that can be put on high level boots as a beginner?  The lowest level blade Ultima sells is the Mark IV, and even that has a low-level freestyle toe pick.  I'd worry a beginner would have quite a few "toe-pick" moments on those...

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
AgnesNitt-  were there any problems with using blades that can be put on high level boots as a beginner?  The lowest level blade Ultima sells is the Mark IV, and even that has a low-level freestyle toe pick.  I'd worry a beginner would have quite a few "toe-pick" moments on those...

The Big Guy never mentioned that. I think toe pick moments are inevitable. If kck didn't like the size of the drop pick he could have it angled so it wasn't so dominant. That's what I did.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Hi KCK, this is shameless self promotion, but I have an adult figure skating blog,
www.icedoesntcare.blogspot.com.

You might find it helpful to click around there as there are some posts of interest to beginners. Here's some to start off with:

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2011/11/bendthatankle.html  has some personal experience with boot tying

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2011/11/warming-up-is-more-than-keeping-warm.html  how warm up is important for adult skaters out of their 20s

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2011/12/skate-bags.html all about skate bags. If you have 6'2" guy feet, give up on the zuca, you'll never get your boots in there, the Big Guy tried.

There's also an entire series on skating protection during falls.

BTW I put 400 miles a week on my car to skate. I'm about to go up to 500.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
Well, I truly appreciate the overwhelming support. For the record, the 300lbs is not muscle by any means. I am a large fat man, haha. My girlfriend is a little asian roughly half my size, and she did exceedingly well on the rental skates. But regardless of all that... I realize that getting these higher-end boots will put me at a higher learning curve and may make me fail a lot more than if I used the entry level skates, because I imagine these higher-end boots are built for people who know what they are doing. I don't mind learning at a curve, I just don't want to fail at getting support because I use $2 rentals. I'd be happy spending $180 knowing that I'd be safe, and not having to worry about my weight breaking the struts or whatever they are called.

I do have a wide foot as someone had mentioned. I don't know if that means "b" or "c" for the width, as I seen those mentioned on some skate websites for certain shoes. I will most certainly go to a pro shop and get fitted. I've only looked online at boots just to kinda get the feel for them. I don't plan on buying something randomly that I cannot try on. Besides, if I am spending the money on some expensive skates at a shop, I might as well get them molded.

I've had a terrible diet over the past few months, but I am getting better. I'm trying to focus on eating healthier and drinking more water. I just recently had a physical for my newest government position and the doctor was actually stunned at how surprisingly healthy I was for someone at my weight caliber. Now, I could go for another check-up as was suggested previously, but I imagine I'd want to see someone more along the lines of a Sports Doctor inside my healthcare system, to make sure I'd be good. But as far as if it has to do with my heart or anything, I am solid. My blood pressure is solid, and various other things in my life are all solid. I don't have any deterioration of anything that I know of and I'm relatively healthy for being my size.

I feel this will be the start of my exercising regiment. I don't mind exercising outside of the rink. As a matter of fact, I'd love to. It's hard to stay motivated, but to know that I am going to achieve something positive in the end is more than I can ask for. And on top of that, I will have a very insistent girlfriend who is DYING to go skating again at my heels. Granted, I'm a larger guy and it will take me a while to get down to a smaller weight, but I'm kinda afraid. I'm 23 and weighing 300 pounds. I need a way to lose weight, especially since I am putting away hundreds towards my retirement every month and I want to live to see it come back.

The Anaheim idea doesn't bother me. That's roughly 3 hours from here in a good drive, and after doing a few more sessions like someone suggested, I'll take that trip, get something fitted, purchase or have them ordered, and then get them molded. Then I need to find a good blade sharpener, which I imagine would be at that same pro shop. I don't think there's a very large community in my general area, so I don't mind the travel. I'd rather travel 3 hours to get it done right, then to have some idiot sharpen them and break my ankle or something because they got messed up.

Once again, sorry for the immensely long winded post. You may find I do a lot of that. I wish to be active here, and I don't want to give up on this. I don't think I planned on getting into figure skating to begin with, but honestly it'll be a lot better than my original idea of going in circles. And hey, despite what all my friends say about how only homosexuals skate.. I'm still dedicated. And it won't deter me. This may be what saves my life... So thanks for all the support. I truly appreciate it.

Oh, and as far as going for the pro coaches right off the bat... I would love too.. But I heard things like $125/hr session. I don't know if I am willing to shell that out right off the bat, especially since if it is going to be me and my girlfriend, that $250/hr is a 1/4 of my paycheck. But I will do what I can. I gotta figure out a plan and stick to it. Anyone got any more dieting advice? I hate vegetables, but I've been forcing salads upon myself with little to no dressing whatsoever... And as far as lettuce goes, I can at least muscle that down and not cry too much. ;-)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
KCK, since you like to write, and are taking up a sport, and trying to lose weight why not start your own blog? It could be very interesting.

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
Because, I may not be "in with the 90's" like some people ;-)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »
I agree.. write a blog! (mine is linked below... The very first entries include me back on the ice for the first time since I was a kid at public skate.). It is also.a good.way to see.progress.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
Oh, and I think you are over estimating the cost of a coach. You could do a 20 minute lesson every two weeks (plus unsupervised practice). It would probably be.$30ish, plus ice time.  Usually coaches just pet semi privates split the cost, or charge only slightly more, not charge twice. So it would be more.affordable to take lessons with your girlfriend. 

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
KCK a coach should run more like $30 for 30 minutes here in So. Cal. I've never paid than that for a private lesson, not including ice time which if you skate on public session is roughly $8 per session.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »
Oh I have a blog too, it is www.bladebunnies.blogspot.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
KCK. Here's an article from a writer for Men's Health who took up skating in his forties. He's passed Silver I've heard. But he may be Gold by now.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/train-new-sport

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
Because, I may not be "in with the 90's" like some people ;-)

It doesn't matter.. even if you just do it for yourself, I bet you will look back in a few years and really appreciate that you took the time to write it down.

Also, if your initial goal is fitness and weight loss, you might consider a decent pair of hockey skates (as in a step above what you can buy in a big box store).. they tend to be more forgiving in fit than figure skates are, and as an added bonus, are actually designed and built for some fairly large men.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
Welcome!  Skating is fantastic for getting into/ staying in shape, plus it's the best feeling in the world to be on the ice!

Any skater will tell you that off ice training is essential for on ice progress, I can always tell when I've done my exercises (and so can my coach, haha).

I've seen a number of beginners do private lessons in groups, I think it's a great way to get individualized attention for a lower cost.  Would your girlfriend perhaps want to do them with you?

Im jealous that you guys will get to do this together, my husband stays far away from the ice (the stands are as close as he gets!).

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »
You will probably find a range for coaching - 30 for 30 minutes, but I have also seen 40 for 20 minutes.  You won't want longer than 30 minutes at a time in the beginning. 

Sadly it is not usually one trip to get boots.  Dd got fitted, had to wait for the boots to come in, then had them molded.  Then we had to come back for waterproofing and sharpening.  Then there were about 3-4 more visits to get them punched and the blades centered.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »
KCK. Here's an article from a writer for Men's Health who took up skating in his forties. He's passed Silver I've heard. But he may be Gold by now.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/train-new-sport

Ha I enjoyed reading the article again. Bryan is a real athlete, it's very inspiring to share the ice with him.

Back to skates. I also think that instead of going to high end stiff figure skates, hockey skates may indeed work better, as sarahspins suggested.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 03:49:27 AM »
I was about your weight when I started skating again and have lost ~75lbs so far. Rental skates gave me absolutley no ankle support so I started skate shopping after a couple of weeks, knowing that I was thoroughly addicted to skating again.

If I was you I'd go skate another few times and then, if you are still keen, look at buying a pair of skates and finding either a coach for joint lessons with your GF or an adult friendly group lesson. Definitely go to a proper skate fitter to work out your sizing and the best boots for you. Do you want to skate around occasionally or would you like to learn to play hockey or do figure skating? What you want to do on the ice (if you know yet?) will help determine which kind of boots to go for too.

If you are reading up on boots online, remember that a lot of online skate level guidance on shop / manufacturer websites about which boots to get for different skating levels is often aimed at lightweight children and not adults. As I was going through the learn to skate levels quite quickly (as I skated as a child) and was larger, I bought stiffer boots than most people on my level would have needed. I completely trashed those boots in ~10 months - hardly any support left at all. I also found that as I lost weight my foot shape changed so I needed a different width fitting so having to buy another pair after a relatively short period meant I have ones that properly fit me again!  ;D

When I started skating again I was horribly unfit so even just skating round was a tough workout! It got better though. I also did a lot of walking away from the rink to help get me moving more too and gradually added other exercise to this. I also used a free website ( www.myfitnesspal.com ) to start tracking what I was eating and begin to change my diet for the better. I still have a bunch of weight to loose but skating has really helped give me that motivation to do so.

A few of the rental skates at my rink have rather trashed Mark IV blades on them, so it is possible to learn on them - It just means you learn to respect the toe picks quite quickly! ;) Jackson Artiste skates have Mark IV blades and they are classed as beginner boots according to the Jackson website.

Good luck!  :D  :BS: