You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Tongues Needed on Harlicks  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
New Tongues Needed on Harlicks
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
My older DD wants new tongues on her Harlicks.  Can anyone recommend someone in the NYC area to do this, or will I have to send them to Harlick for the repair?  I'm doing it for her as a gift.
My glass is half full :)

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
Re: New Tongues Needed on Harlicks
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
Harlick will send you new tongues if you or the pro shop call them. The pro shop may be able to stitch them in, or a good shoe/boot repair shop could do it.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
A skater I know had his tongues replaced (I think they came from Harlick).  He has been unable to skate since and had to withdraw from sectionals, but I'm not sure if the injury came before or after the tongues.  So proceed with caution.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
West Side Skate and Stick in Manhattan did the job for me.  They get their replacement foam from Harlick.  I'm not happy with the sloppy look of the edges, but I think they will be comfy, which is the point, after all.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Wait, wait ,wait---my right boot's tongue is totally broken down. I thought I'd have to get entirely new skates. How can you tell if it is only the tongue that needs replacing or the entire skate?

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
My definition: the skate is broken down if it no longer provides adequate lateral support, or if it bends in such a way as to impinge painfully on some part of your foot.

By lateral, I mean the inside (med-speak: medial) and outside (med-speak: lateral) part of your foot.

Bending and impinging can also include the toe box, especially if you jump.

It would be easy to photograph your boot(s), and email it and the question to the boot maker. Describe what you feel that makes you unhappy with the boots as they are. They know best what they are willing to do, and for how much.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Wait, wait ,wait---my right boot's tongue is totally broken down. I thought I'd have to get entirely new skates. How can you tell if it is only the tongue that needs replacing or the entire skate?

If the boots have no creases or only very small creases where your ankles bend, then they are OK.

The job West Side Skate & Stick did is so unprofessional!  I took pix before handing them over to DD and am calling the shop to speak with an owner on Monday.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »

If the support in the boots is fine and you only need to address the tongues :)  One pair of my jacksons are in dire need of new tongues, but it's because the replacement (meaning not stock) linings are tearing away from the leather and I've re-glued them myself more times than I can count.  They will be going back to Jackson soon for new ones, but the boots are nowhere near being broken down.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
My Jackson's are also in desperate need of new tongues, even though I skate and teach in them a lot over the course of a week, they still have tons of support left...the blades are another story lol I'm getting new ones this week yay!!  I've never actually dealt with Jackson directly, does anyone know if you can ship them to Jackson to get replacement tongues?  Sarahspins your reply actually got me thinking that instead of going somewhere local to get them replaced that maybe I should just go through Jackson:)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
My Jackson's are also in desperate need of new tongues, even though I skate and teach in them a lot over the course of a week, they still have tons of support left...the blades are another story lol I'm getting new ones this week yay!!  I've never actually dealt with Jackson directly, does anyone know if you can ship them to Jackson to get replacement tongues?  Sarahspins your reply actually got me thinking that instead of going somewhere local to get them replaced that maybe I should just go through Jackson:)

You can indeed just email them directly (I had to, no one sells jackson around here any more), but if you are like me and need something special though (like lambswool tongues), it may take longer than normal.  They quoted me $50 to replace the tongues, plus shipping.

To be honest I am toying with the idea of just buying a new pair since I am actually starting to wear through the lining in several places (oddly, it's nowhere critical), but I dread adjusting to new boots.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
You can indeed just email them directly (I had to, no one sells jackson around here any more), but if you are like me and need something special though (like lambswool tongues), it may take longer than normal.  They quoted me $50 to replace the tongues, plus shipping.

To be honest I am toying with the idea of just buying a new pair since I am actually starting to wear through the lining in several places (oddly, it's nowhere critical), but I dread adjusting to new boots.

Thanks Sarahspins!  I don't know why but since I've gotten back into skating as an adult my tongues seem to take a beating...I'm not sure if its because I usually find myself tightening them at least twice during a session and the tucking the laces in seems to help in hammering them up lol:) There aren't too many skate shops close too me, actually the one that I go for boots, blades, and sharpenings is in RI its about a 60 mile drive from where I live...I love them and they're awesome but I'd definitely consider just having Jackson replace them altogether.  $50 is definitely worth it!! 

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »
I called West Side today and spoke with Dave, an owner, who promptly told me to bring the skates in.  He then called me back a few hours later to explain that they don't have any more Harlick foam and he would call me in the next few weeks after it came in.  Now, that's service I appreciate.