You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rust in skates - storing skates for long time  (Read 5648 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Rust in skates - storing skates for long time
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
After a little more than a month without skating, I discovered rust on my skates, near the tail part. Fortunately, my mom was able to remove the rust by using a green kitchen scrubber/scourer and petroleum jelly (thanks Mom!), but there is still some rust left.

I think that the remaining rust can be removed by sharpening, but I'm going to be off the ice indefinitely. I live in a humid climate, and I wouldn't want to waste a sharpening just so it can get rust again. So:

1. Should I get my skates sharpened now (or soon) to get the rust off?
2. If I get it sharpened, what can I do to prevent the skates from rusting? (I always wipe it after skating, air-dry it for 24 hours, then put it in soakers, but it's hard to fight against humidity...)

Thanks a lot!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Rust in skates - storing skates for long time
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
I wouldn't get them sharpened.  Apply WD-40 or another metal lubricant/mineral oil to the blades.  Wrap an old hand towel around and fasten with a rubber band.  You could even use vaseline - you just want to coat the edges to keep air away from them.

I would not use soakers afterwards because they'll get stained.  After you use them again, wipe them well and then you can use your soakers.

If you have to store them for a long time, a plastic tub with a lid is good for keeping humidity out.  You can toss in some silica gel packets (that come with new purses and shoes) to absorb any dampness that does get inside.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
The dance blades I've had for nearly 15 years just had vaseline smeared on them and were covered with cardboard and rubber bands... they still don't have any rust on them.

I agree though, if you know you won't be skating on them for a while, don't bother sharpening them, just coat the edges of the blade to protect them and take care to store them where they won't be exposed to large temperature changes or humidity.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »
There's still some rust left though. I can't remove it from the blade without dulling/sharpening the blade. So should I get the remaining rust off BEFORE I coat it with Vaseline, or should I just coat it with Vaseline even if there's still rust in it?

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:11:09 AM »
I also live in a humid tropical climate and my skates have a permanent "rust stain" on the ends.
If its just on the ends, its not a big problem. I'm pretty sure my 2-footing my doubles has nothing to do with the rust.
Or, you can get one of those hand-held skate sharpeners to get the rust off. Sandpaper works ok on the sides.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:33:34 AM »
Is it okay to store skates with some rust on them? I was able to remove majority of the rust (it was a LOT), but there's still some rust left that stick too much to the metal. I could remove them but I would be dulling the blades way too much. My worry is that if I store skates with rust on them, even with Vaseline, that will make the rest of the skate more vulnerable to rust, so I'm thinking of sharpening them and THEN applying Vaseline.

1. Are my fears of rust multiplying due to existing rust unfounded?
2. If I do sharpen the skates, will applying Vaseline on newly sharpened blades protect the blades from rusting?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the repeated clarifications!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:07:15 AM »
2. If I do sharpen the skates, will applying Vaseline on newly sharpened blades protect the blades from rusting?

Don't know about your first question, but the anwer to the 2nd is yes vaseline will protect newly sharpened skates from rusting.  My old skates were sharpened and vaselined before being put away, and a year later they are still rust-free.

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »
Is it okay to store skates with some rust on them? I was able to remove majority of the rust (it was a LOT), but there's still some rust left that stick too much to the metal. I could remove them but I would be dulling the blades way too much. My worry is that if I store skates with rust on them, even with Vaseline, that will make the rest of the skate more vulnerable to rust, so I'm thinking of sharpening them and THEN applying Vaseline.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the repeated clarifications!

Oh, I thought you were coming back to skate again regularly... I didn't realise you were going to store them again for a long time.

From what I recall from college chemistry, rust is the oxidation of iron in the steel, and can happen only in the presence of oxygen and water.  Having rust on the blade will not cause it to rust any quicker or slower than it already would. The only way to slow down the rusting process is to prevent oxygen and water to interact with your blade.

Applying Vaseline will help to keep moisture away, and so will slow down the rusting process. I don't think it matters whether that is done over the existing rust or after removing all the rust. However, I would personally prefer to remove the rust first, since otherwise I will *still* see rust on the blades!

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
Thanks a lot chowskates!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
Ideally, don't let the Vaseline touch anything plastic or petroleum or hydrocarbon based, like some blade guards - Vaseline has a plasticizer that may react (it is SUPPOSED to react with your skin). In theory, simple oil or grease is safer.

But lots of people use Vaseline to preserve steel, so don't worry too much.

For reasons beyond my ken, I find that if a blade is stored a long time, it tends to lose its edge anyway, no matter how stored. So I agree - sharpen later.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied! Much appreciated!