You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help! Secure hairdo for short hair?  (Read 4818 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Help! Secure hairdo for short hair?
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
Hairdresser cut my hair WAY TOO SHORT despite of clear instructions!! :sobbing It's pretty much like this now, gets in the way big time when spinning, but too short to pull back with rubberband, and hairpins don't stay well in my hair.

Suggestions, please? Really need my hair in skateable form, and since a clip-on hair ornament is needed for group number too I cannot cut the hair further...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Help! Secure hairdo for short hair?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Headband?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
Headband?
Either slips back badly or does not mitigate distraction  :sweat

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
The hairclips that "snap" into place?  I loved those before I grew my hair back out

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
I can't launch the picture ...

But, same thing happened to us.  We bought heavy duty lacquer hairspray - the kind that guarantees a 48 hour hold - then slicked the hair back with hairgell and coated it with hairspray to hold it secure (including the stupid layers that also got put in).  Pulled what left at the back into a tiny stubby ponytail mid-way up the back of the head, and wrapped a fake hair thingee around it. Worked great! A couple of sparkly hair slide/bobby pins from the dance store, and nobody could tell.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
Thank you all for the tips!

The hairclips that "snap" into place?  I loved those before I grew my hair back out

Without a rubberband in place, most hairclips / pins slip down while I am sitting around, extra slippery hair :( Haven't tried skating through them...

I can't launch the picture ...

But, same thing happened to us.  We bought heavy duty lacquer hairspray - the kind that guarantees a 48 hour hold - then slicked the hair back with hairgell and coated it with hairspray to hold it secure (including the stupid layers that also got put in).  Pulled what left at the back into a tiny stubby ponytail mid-way up the back of the head, and wrapped a fake hair thingee around it. Worked great! A couple of sparkly hair slide/bobby pins from the dance store, and nobody could tell.

Changed to a different link. I am not required to exhibit "long hair" as long as it's not interfering or malfunctioning. If heavy duty hairspray is what takes to be safe will do it...

I also considered putting loose hair into mini braids that end behind my ears.

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
My hair's that length.  If I'm testing, I'll pull back the front or front and sides and use a hair elastic.  Otherwise, I don't bother with anything.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Snap clips always fall out of my hair.  I use metal barrettes from Goody - 6/card.  Kmart and Dollar General carry them.  I just brush the hair over my hand, catch it with the clip, then fasten.

http://ribbonandbowsohmy.com/index.php?module=Catalog&action=ViewProduct&prod=253

Goody makes ordinary all-metal barrettes and they also make a "no-slip" version that has a rubberized sleeve over the clasp, which holds the hair very tightly.  The latter are more difficult to fasten, though.

I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of doing french braids and cans of spray just for a practice session, but for a show/competition, definitely dress it up a bit.

Klutz makes a "how to" book about hairstyling that is excellent!  You can get it at bookstores or kids' education toy stores like Learning Express.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:36:53 PM »
While the back of my hair is long enough to put back, I have bangs that are a pain to put back for skating because they are too short for how I normally do that. But, you can either to a small french braid down the hairline or a twist. Both will keep the hair out of your face. Good luck! And remember that this is temporary :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:43:09 AM »
Mine is that length but I can french braid on each side and secure.  For slippery hair in clips use the rubber- rubber bands (the kind that are on newspapers - wrap it on the part of the clip that goes closest to the scalp and then put it in the hair.  The rubber grabs the hair and keeps it in.

More casual:

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
If you have really slippery fine hair, I know your pain.  Add in not much of it, and cut very short, and you have my hairstyle.  If yours is still long enough to tie back at the temples, you might find that the tiny rubber bands dentists use for teeth braces do the trick - they're small enough to catch tiny amounts of hair and they're rubber (silicon?) so they stick.

My go-to solution when I want to make sure my hair will stay put (whether I'm adding a hairpiece or not) is super-hold hairspray plus super-hold gel; but in both cases you don't want a variety which advertises itself as being able to be brushed out residue-free.  You need that residue!  The good news is that the ones which leave residue are often the cheap sorts  :D

Apply lots of gel, comb into position, and allow to dry.  Brush out and the style should stay fairly put for long enough to apply lots of hairspray.  The residue of the hair gel helps the hairspray hold too.  It would not be the first time I've done the gel step twice - apply, dry, brush out, apply more, dry again, brush out again, then hairspray.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
Thank you again everyone! I am going to experiment with tiny braids, good reminder that rubber sticks better. Just bought black Goody metal barrettes off eBay too. Heavy duty hairspray for the show if everything else fails, practice days will be OK since I go with AgnesNitt's Pad-in-the-Hat (TM).

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »
My DD has very short hair. It is fine.  Most of the time she doesn't use anything.  When she has to pin it back for tests, she uses these  http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Mini-Counter-Clips-32143/dp/B003XQQGRY/ref=dp_cp_ob_bt_title_1

Offline sk8dsmom

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
My DS has very fine hair and even extra hold gel doesn't work. Last few seasons he had spiky hair and this season is just the front is styled upwards. The only things I've found that works is hair glue and freeze hairspray.  Alternately is while hair is wet, is to use gel to keep strays down and then when styled, use hair glue / freeze hairspray to hold everything down.

Offline Orange

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »
I use four hair clips, two each side, just to keep hair off my face

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
What about taking a little bit of hair from the center, pull back about 2 inches, hold with small rubber band, then doing 2 more on each side of that?  Get lots of volume in rest of hair for va-voom look.  I used to do this and it works well.