You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Gold Seal vs Coronation Ace  (Read 6966 times)

Offline Orange

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 9
Gold Seal vs Coronation Ace
« on: November 19, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
I've bought new boots as my feet got wider and now need longer blades. The vendor has in stock JW Gold Seal and Coronation Ace, which is similar to MK Professional I have now. My budget allows either, and I'm thinking of giving Gold Seals a try, but concerned if there might be a problem with them being too advanced for my level. I've been skating for a few years, doing single jumps up to lutz, but no axel. Now I'm stillin working on getting loop and flip back after 1-year maternity break.
Does anyone have experience with skating on Gold Seals at similar level?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Gold Seal vs Coronation Ace
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
I skated on used Gold Seals (came with my boots) when I was pre-bronze.  
They were good blades- I spun well in them, and they sometimes at first felt like they did the turns for me, it was just so easy compared to the previous blades.  However, they were my step up from Mirages (cheap Ultima blade that comes already on the boots, sold seperately it costs about $50- compared to Gold Seal's almost $600, Coronation Ace's are about $200 here).  When I stepped back down to the low level Paramounts (and now Ultima Matrix Legacy) I feel I skate exactly the same.  So the Mirage is a very entry level blade, and that was holding me back, but once I got to a true freestyle blade, there was no need for a top of the line blade.  

Even if you can afford it, at the level you say you are, I think the money would be better spent on lessons then blades, or cute baby stuff...  I'd go with the Coronation Ace.  (Although really, I highly recommend looking at the Ultima Matrix Legacy- I am in love with this blade.  It has a harder steel then all the other blades I've used and the edge rip it gets is incredible, with no change in my technique...)  Ultima might be harder to get outside the USA though.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
You don't need the Gold Seals and have to nothing to gain by spending the big $$$ on them.  Stick with the Aces, which you are comfortable with and will take you through your axel and beginning doubles.  Then you can benefit from more advanced blades. ITA with Skittl, spend the money on lessons.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
I will say that if you really really want Gold Seals, the way some people want a Louis Vuitton purse,  they won't hurt your skating.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
I will say that if you really really want Gold Seals, the way some people want a Louis Vuitton purse,  they won't hurt your skating.

I agree.. at the point where you have all of your singles you'd really be okay with them if that's what your budget allows.  It would be a very different scenario if you were only just beginning freestyle because of the larger drag pick on the GS.

Offline Orange

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »

:D :D

OK, Coronation Ace it is then. Another question is whether to take parabolic or regular. The prece difference is rather minor, my trusted coach said: "you don't really need parabolic, but if you may try just out of curiosity". Any opinions on that option?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:57:11 PM »
I don't know anything about parabolics- but I've heard they are difficult to sharpen.  Can your sharpener handle them?

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »
Parabolics are difficult to sharpen, and it's not been proven that they help in any way.  My own not so humble opinion is that they don't.  The idea was lifted from the parabolic ski design, which is great for skiing because skis are long, so the parabolic blade turns for you.  Skate blades being so short, it's doubtful they would help with edges.
My glass is half full :)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
I love my Parabolics (Phantom blades) and they are no more difficult to sharpen than a regular blade.