You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Torn lace hole on boot  (Read 7434 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Torn lace hole on boot
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
My 15 month old Jackson 2012s have a torn top left lace hole on the left boot.  I am thinking of taking them to Mont Clare for repair.  I have also had issues with my heels slipping, so I am going to ask them to try and fix that too.  Several people have mentioned that the boots might be a little low level for me.  The uppers are not as stiff as they once were, but they still seem somewhat stiff.

What do you think:  Repair or replace?  Anyone want to estimate a repair cost?

Thanks!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Torn lace hole on boot
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
Those are freestyle boots, right?  If you're doing dance, you might prefer the less-stiff boot.

PinkLaces had the eyelets on her skates repaired because the leather had torn.  I think they added strips of leather to that area and punched new holes through, but I don't remember exactly. 

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
I would guess a simple repair would be under $20 if it can just be sewn, but probably closer to $60 if it has to be redone. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
The heel slipping is a frequent Jackson problem; it seems that the heel cups open up over time.  Something to consider if you continue in a Jackson boot, in terms of fitting.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
Those are freestyle boots, right?  If you're doing dance, you might prefer the less-stiff boot.

Most of my ice time is spent on MITF, but I also like to jump.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
The heel slipping is a frequent Jackson problem; it seems that the heel cups open up over time.  Something to consider if you continue in a Jackson boot, in terms of fitting.

Definitely planning on switching brands, I have had SPTeri suggested because of their stock split-widths.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »
I skated today by hooking both laces over the bottom left hook.  Was that dangerous?

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »
This is what happened to my boots at about 14 months.

This the repair.  It cost $45 and was done by a shoe repair place that also works on skates for the local NHL team. It is reinforced on the inside and outside of the skate.

My problem - I am between a regular and a wide in Reidells. So the fitter put me in a wide. As I broke in the skates, they got a bit too wide for me.  Those holes were caused by having to constantly retie my skates and pulling them as tight as I could.  They never felt tight enough. Consider that you maybe don't have the right width for your boots - too big...especially if your heel is slipping around.

I opted to get new boots, because all of the first 4 holes were very stretched and needed repair. At $45 X 3 sides, I'd rather just put the $135 into new boots.  I ended up getting Jacksons and they were a much better fit than Reidells for me.  I've had my new boots for about 8 months now.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
Definitely planning on switching brands, I have had SPTeri suggested because of their stock split-widths.

Jackson can do split widths as well :)

I used to skate in SP Teri's (stock and custom) and my feet are happier in Jacksons.

I do think it is critical though, whatever brand you choose, that you are fitted correctly for both the ball and heel.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

Riedell also has stock split widths, and will go even more divergent for a small fee - I think I was told about $20?
We stopped using Jacksons years ago - don't fit my guys' feet, and we found them in the bottom end to be too stiff for tiny skaters - and other than the Freestyle, I don't like the construct or stiffness profile of their higher end skates, plus the problem with the heel cup opening up. Since Riedell rethought their line a few years ago, it's gone from 85% Jacksons and the rest mixed in with Gam and Risport to about 70% Riedell, with the rest Jacksons and a few others.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »
Dd has Riedell TS435's and they are split width.  It took about 3 weeks for them to come in but they didn't charge more for the split width.  After several punches she loves them - they were the first skates to give her blisters but they skate guy said she is so light and the skates are stiffer than her previous ones so that required lots of visits back to the skate shop (no extra charges).

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 05:27:01 AM »
Never had to have anything punched on a Riedell; the heat moulding has always taken care of everything ... :)  Not sure where you're located - our skate store can get Riedells in within 2 days - however, they do sometimes have an inventory problem at Riedell itself, as shortages occur in the models in occasion. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
She had them heat molded and the split width caused a delay (none in stock and the company had none available).  That is great your feet get enough comfort without punching.  It's a long drive to the skate shop for us!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
She had them heat molded and the split width caused a delay (none in stock and the company had none available).  That is great your feet get enough comfort without punching.  It's a long drive to the skate shop for us!

Yes ... it takes them about an hour from the start to finish for the molding and fitting, but, never had a problem from there (except the expected "tight on the toes" for the first week or two!)

Offline nicklaszlo

Boots fixed
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
I took them to Mont Clare.  I paid $65 for fixing the eyelet and relining the heals of both boots.  I think the eyelet alone would have been $15.  When I picked them up I was surprised to find they had installed metal eyelets on all four top eyelets, not just the broken ones.  The tear was stitched together, not patched like Pinklaces's boots.  It took three hours and I was told not to skate until the next day.  I skated in them for half an hour and so far the fit seems to be improved, but I think there is an adjustment period.

Also I learned it is better to completely unlace the top eyelets before putting the boots on.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
65 is a lot cheaper than new boots!  Hope the repair is long lasting.  :)

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
Just to follow up, there were two temporary disadvantages to the repair.  One of my laces broke near an eyelet shortly after the metal eyelet was installed.  And the new linings creased, causing a cut on my right Achilles tendon.  The creasing is no longer bothering my skin much, so I think I just needed to break in the linings some.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »
Could the eyelet have a sharp place on it that could be worn down with a very fine sandpaper?

Good luck on the boots.