You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Nude mesh issue on competition dress  (Read 3127 times)

Offline momosam

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Nude mesh issue on competition dress
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done to darken or cover up nude mesh on a skating dress?  The skin colored mesh on my daughters new competition dress is way too light.  It is a sleeveless dress and the nude mesh covers the neck and shoulder area in the front and goes to a deep v in the back.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Nude mesh issue on competition dress
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done to darken or cover up nude mesh on a skating dress?  The skin colored mesh on my daughters new competition dress is way too light.  It is a sleeveless dress and the nude mesh covers the neck and shoulder area in the front and goes to a deep v in the back.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I vaguely remember mentions of using tea bag to dye tights if they are too light... What color if the dress?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »

Was it custom? If so, ask the dressmaker to change it; the mesh should have been "matched" to her skin tone before being made.

Offline momosam

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20:35 PM »
  It wasn't a custom dress and not too expensive either.  It was an ebay find.  The dress is a lighter peachy orange at the top, going to a darker orange in the middle and finally a magenta at the bottom of the skirt.  It is a fade out airbrushed type look. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »
My dd is too dark for the mesh on premade dresses to ever look natural and her friend is too light.  But I've noticed on the ice for both girls it isn't really very noticeable.  I'd be afraid to color it because it might seep onto the dress.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
Could you find a darker mesh fabric, that when placed behind the lighter mesh, would be the correct shade
of mesh ? If you could find that mesh, could you make an ' undershirt ' style garment, and sew it to and behind the light mesh areas of the dress ? Such ' double layer ' of mesh might add a degree of warmth to the dress, too. Just a thought.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:31:08 AM »
Have you tested the dress at the rink? Rink lighting might change the effect the nude mesh is having and it may blend in better than it does up close. It's all about the appearance from the distance.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 03:52:03 AM »
Yes, the joys of illusion ...if it matches when you get it, your kid immediately gets or loses a tan and it doesn't anymore!

You could also pick up a bunch of small Swarovskis; we use the very tiny ones that drive people crazy (I think they're SS10s) and "twinkle" the mesh with them. That way it looks sparkly and very pretty on the ice ... it detracts from the colour.