You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell Silver Medallions okay for 4 year old?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Riedell Silver Medallions okay for 4 year old?
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
I can't really find a ton of info on these since they are discontinued, but I found the silver medallions in black in the right size at the right price... are these pretty much the equivalent of the current 29TS?  I don't want to buy way too much boot for him since he's so tiny (he's small for his age - closer to the size of most 3yo's).

He is currently skating in super teri's with wilson excel blades... and doing fine with those (I am not sure if it's because they are used boots, or they make the tiny ones softer, but those boots are not stiff at all), but he really needs new skates soon because his feet are growing like weeds  I was looking at just buying a white pair of 33TS (the boy's version of the 33 does not come in wide), but the silver medallions would be a little bit less expensive.rs

I have been scouring the internet for the right size in used skates, but not having much luck.. it seems that used wide skates for little kids are not that common, and unfortunately I am quite sure he needs a wide boot :(  We lucked out with the SP Teri's since we only paid $25 for them... buying another pair of SP Teri's new is not happening though!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Riedell Silver Medallions okay for 4 year old?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
The silver medallion was the 220 right? Those were good for basic skills up to Basic 5 according to this: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/skatebuys/skateselect.html It isn't recommended for the tot levels, but at Basic 1.

This tells me it might be more than the typical 4 year old needs, but honestly, most 4 year olds are still in "comfort" skates, not even rec figure skates.

You'll probably be okay, based on age.  But what is he doing? Some 4-year olds are jumping, some are barely standing. This is too much boot for still just marching, I think.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
I was looking at just buying a white pair of 33TS (the boy's version of the 33 does not come in wide), but the silver medallions would be a little bit less expensive.rs

The 33TS would probably be a bit stiff for a little guy; we have to have them "broken in" by our fitter before our DD wears them, and she's a fair bit older and working on pre-pre (which is I think your no test?) We really like them, but, they are a fair bit of boot. 

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »
Hmm... see I fear that any "new" boot is probably going to be a bit much, but it's hard to say I guess without seeing them.  The problem with soft rec skates (and even the rental boots at our rink) is that they just don't fit his fat little feet.  Even his sister's outgrown Riedell's are too tight on his toes and they are one full size bigger (maybe more like a size and a half) than what he needs.

He's beyond marching, he's the only one of his current snowplow class that can actually skate a bit rather than just stand around on the ice.

I have been looking for a used pair for more than a month now - I fear I really need to get him into bigger skates within the next few weeks (he just outgrew his street shoes and his skates are getting increasingly difficult to get on), so I don't have a ton of time to keep waiting for the perfect used pair to pop up.  I wish that Riedell had stiffness ratings like Jackson and some others do.. it's really hard to sort out which models are really just an upgrade in features (i.e. leather vs pvc soles, blade upgrade, more padding, etc) vs an upgrade in stiffness and skating level.

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
What size sp-teris is he currently in? I can look through the stock in my garage.  :)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:02:12 PM »
dak_rbb I'll PM you :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
I have been looking for a used pair for more than a month now - I fear I really need to get him into bigger skates within the next few weeks (he just outgrew his street shoes and his skates are getting increasingly difficult to get on), so I don't have a ton of time to keep waiting for the perfect used pair to pop up.  I wish that Riedell had stiffness ratings like Jackson and some others do.. it's really hard to sort out which models are really just an upgrade in features (i.e. leather vs pvc soles, blade upgrade, more padding, etc) vs an upgrade in stiffness and skating level.

If you go to the Riedell Ice site, you'll see "recommendations" for usage for their skates which should give you a good guideline. However, having moved thru the Riedells with my littlest one, basically, every level up is a stiffness level adjustment, not just a "feature" adjustment. At the level your little guy is at, we were in the 15s, and they worked quite well (not too stiff, but, definitely a good support).

You know, you might want to give Riedell a call. They are amazingly helpful, and if you explain your dilemma, might be able to give you some suggestions.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »
The 15s don't come in wide though.. I think the lowest model that does is the 17?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
My kids had the Bronze Medallions at that age and they were fine with the stiffness.  All the Medallions are heat-moldable, so that will help it fit better from the start and make break-in easier.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com