You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: i need opinions on dress  (Read 13953 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
i need opinions on dress
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
dd is just barely out of the basics.  No test.  So...

I saw this gorgeous dress...at $1,250  :o tons of crystals a Tania Bass

I can make it.  It is quite doable and I calculated the cost of materials to be about 80-90  (my labor is free..but stoning will probably take 2 weeks)
I will make one change so it is not an exact copy.  But will it seem pretentions at that level?  I know I did not spend that much, but onlookers may think I am nuts.

What do you think??

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: i need opinions on dress
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »
Do you have a link?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
How old is she and what is the "norm" in your area? In some areas - kids are blinged to the max and it's okay - in other areas - yeah you would be considered OTT.   A kid at your kid's level here ... well, the audience would be commenting negatively, the judges would find it inappropriate, and the other skaters would not be impressed, shall we say. 

Also, depends on the age of the skater ... a 10 year old blinged out in a very expensive dress is different from a 16 year old.

You certainly don't want the kid to feel uncomfortable at being overdressed.

However if you can do that type of stuff, then, I would set up as a business and fund skating costs!  I am trying to figure out where you would get Swarovskis that cheap, though ... I get great deals, basically wholesale, and my stones usually run to about $200 a dress at least!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
Wow- $80 with crystals?  Where do you get yours? I thought beadsfactory.com had one of the best deals, and 10 gross of preciosa runs about $70...

I think at no test, something that looks like a thousand dollar dress is a bit much.  Can you use half as many crystals as you planned?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
Honestly, if you are making it,  you can start stoning and stop where you feel it's reasonable... no need to go over the top :)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
not real swarovski, but the chinese ones.  I will look for a link

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
A kid at your kid's level here ... well, the audience would be commenting negatively, the judges would find it inappropriate, and the other skaters would not be impressed, shall we say.  

You certainly don't want the kid to feel uncomfortable at being overdressed.

Wearing the skating dress as you described, would the young skater look like she just stepped off of the stage at a
 " Little Girl's Beauty Pageant " ? Except for the " Fans " of such pageants, little girls " blinged to the max ", wither it be a little girl's beauty pageant or an ice skating competition, may carry a negative connotation with a lot of people. Although you certainly have the responsibility to decide what is the best and most attractive outfit for your young skater to wear, all things mentioned on this thread should be taken into consideration as you plan what your young skater is going to actually wear for competition, IMO. Since you have the talent to create such a pretty skating dress, I hope your efforts work out for the best. 
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
not real swarovski, but the chinese ones.  I will look for a link

Have you seen them yet? I got some from eBay and sent them to the lab with my husband to test they were not plastic (they were indeed glass, but utter crap). I recommend swarvoski or preciosa, half or even a quarter as many of those will look just as good.

My eBay crystals (advertised as "perfect substitute for swarvoski) were used in a project with plastic crystals from hobby lobby, and they look almost the same.

If you do still want them, order a sample gross before getting them all.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
I agree with the others in that, in my area, a low level skater in a very fancy dress would be considered inappropriate by the judges & other skaters/coaches alike. The dress should never outskate the skater!

I like to see a little girl in a simple, age-appropriate dress, with a few crystals, maybe around the neck, or the skirt, to make it fancier so she feels special in it for competition. Another option, which I like a lot, is to use a fabric that's somewhat glittery, and forego the stones altogether.

IMO it is important for the costume to be age-appropriate, AND level-appropriate.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
thank you

that was my first reaction...too much dress.  But dd loved it. 

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 01:02:55 AM »
Wow- $80 with crystals?  Where do you get yours? I thought beadsfactory.com had one of the best deals, and 10 gross of preciosa runs about $70...

I think at no test, something that looks like a thousand dollar dress is a bit much.  Can you use half as many crystals as you planned?

I spent under 70 for dd's freeskate dress with 500 crystals on it. I probably spent more on the crystals then I did the actual fabric. I got the fabric for a steal(I had 2 40% off coupons), so it cost me next to nothing to make. I also had a 20% off coupon for the crystals. Her showcase dress cost more, but not much. Again, the fabric was not too much money. I spent maybe 20 on fabric. So, it is totally doable. A local retailer here has crystals for a decent price. I can get a gross for 12.00 plus we get a 10% club discount. They are 5mm, so not huge stones. The large stones are much more expensive. I would love to know what deals people find online for stones.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 01:42:39 AM »
dd is just barely out of the basics.  No test.  So...

I saw this gorgeous dress...at $1,250  :o tons of crystals a Tania Bass

I can make it.  It is quite doable and I calculated the cost of materials to be about 80-90  (my labor is free..but stoning will probably take 2 weeks)
I will make one change so it is not an exact copy.  But will it seem pretentions at that level?  I know I did not spend that much, but onlookers may think I am nuts.

What do you think??

Welll.... around here I see fancy dresses and less fancy dresses. It doesn't seem to matter. Sure, some parents and judges may comment on it but I don't think it will matter as long as the dress is age appropriate. I agree that it would help to see a picture. Also, as someone else stated, if you are making it, you will be able to add as much or as little bling as you see fit. I put 500 crystals on my daughters freeskate dress. To be honest, you cannot tell there are that many crystals on the dress. Her showcase dress has less bling but is still cute. :) I say, do what you, your daughter and coach are comfortable with. My daughter's coach is very open to telling me what she thinks about my daughter's dresses. She's have no problem telling me if she felt a dress we chose was over the top. Just a word of warning, it is very addictive to start making dresses! I have a lot of fun(most days!) making my daughter's dresses.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »
I agree it is very addictive.  I need crystal rehab
http://www.taniabass.com/product-popup.php?id=522-black

This is it.  The dress itself is very basic.  The site price says 750 but the website doesn't have as many crystals on the skirt.  I guess it was customized some more and that is the price diff.  I personally do not like any crystals on the skirt.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
Just my stuffy opinion, but for a child just out of the basics, I'd say that, yes, that dress has too much bling.  Way too much bling.   Regardless of how much you actually spend on the dress, it could end up looking expensive and you don't want the judges thinking that you should have spent the money on lessons and ice time instead.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 09:23:51 AM »
If you used plastic rhinestones instead of crystals it would have a lot less sparkle and maybe not look so out of place on a low level skater (so +1 for china crystals). 

The picture on the website shows that it is clearly meant for a child.

The dress is age appropriate, but if she shines like the inside of a Tiffany store, it is too much.  Could you do the design in sequin applique?  That also would be more level appropriate.  I agree, it isn't what you spend, but what it looks like you spent.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »
Just my stuffy opinion, but for a child just out of the basics, I'd say that, yes, that dress has too much bling.  Way too much bling.   Regardless of how much you actually spend on the dress, it could end up looking expensive and you don't want the judges thinking that you should have spent the money on lessons and ice time instead.

I guess they wouldn't assume I just borrowed the dress  ::>) ::>) ::>)  They would think I was one of "those" moms

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Me, I don't like the illusion effect on the arms and would do it in material. Frankly, I'm surprised it's one of Tania's; normally, her stuff is more elaborate. Anyways, you can get the same "effect" with silver glitter, and it wouldn't be a problem at all. I have seen a ton of Jerry's "little girl" dresses over the years that look quite similar, and they just use silver glitter, which is pretty ... maybe a crystal at the "cross point" of the lines would add that little extra sparkle.

However, another side note - judges often do not care for black dresses on younger skaters.  You might want to look for a different colour :)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 12:12:23 PM »
Me, I don't like the illusion effect on the arms and would do it in material. Frankly, I'm surprised it's one of Tania's; normally, her stuff is more elaborate. Anyways, you can get the same "effect" with silver glitter, and it wouldn't be a problem at all. I have seen a ton of Jerry's "little girl" dresses over the years that look quite similar, and they just use silver glitter, which is pretty ... maybe a crystal at the "cross point" of the lines would add that little extra sparkle.

However, another side note - judges often do not care for black dresses on younger skaters.  You might want to look for a different colour :)

you have great ideas.  Thanks!!!

actually the Tania Bass website has many dresses that except for the stones are quite basic  http://www.taniabass.com/product.php?id=524-pinks

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th on that page are pretty basic skirted leotards

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »

Judges sure seem awfully picky about costumes.  I understand the rationale of keeping costumes simple for low level skaters, but why do they care what color it is?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
we are all human and our subconsious preferances always influence us....judges are no different, which is why forums like these are a great resources.   Thanks for all your input. 

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
So if I do glitter for the crossing lines and kept the flower design in crystals, would it be more acceptable?

Or just the flower designs in crystals edit to add: and the have a solitary crystal at the intersction of imaginary crossed lines?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
Judges sure seem awfully picky about costumes.  I understand the rationale of keeping costumes simple for low level skaters, but why do they care what color it is?

Black is considered to be an 'adult' colour, not for kids who should be in more juvenile attire.  It's an old stereotype, but, I have heard it referenced  by more than one judge that they really don't care to have little girls dressed in mature styles or colours.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
that brings me to another question.  Say I got a knock off of a celebrity dress (I've seen the Yuna one...it's not exact, but "inspired by")  you guys have been around the water cooler, what would be the reaction?   This is just hypothetical,  it poped into my head during this discussion.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
So if I do glitter for the crossing lines and kept the flower design in crystals, would it be more acceptable?

Or just the flower designs in crystals edit to add: and the have a solitary crystal at the intersction of imaginary crossed lines?

What do kids in your area at your daughter's test level wear to competitions? in our area - what you describe above in terms of crystal flowers would be a "no" because it would still be too fancy (and so would the illusion arms) - but, in other areas, it might be just fine.

here, a basic velvet or spandex dress, with sleeves, covered to at least the throat (small collar is also frequently seen), with a sparkly sequined waist band or sparkly neck, maybe a sleeve ruffle, and a double skirt that's "flouncy" or moves well as opposed to a flat panel skirt would be used. Glittery chiffon skirts are often used too. No fancy cutouts or appliques; maybe an embroidered butterfly or something else pretty. Yes, it is very sterotypical of the "pretty little girl" movement, but, it also means that the kid doesn't stand out for the wrong reason in the judge's eyes, and also that the kid feels comfortable and that she fits in with the other kids (plus, it's WARM!).  However, in other cities, I'm sure that a kid in a similar dress would look way underdressed. It's all about the area norms.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »
why do they care what color it is?
Skating aside, my MIL never liked seeing a little kid wearing any kind of black-colored clothing.  She came to accept it for skating because it was practical and well-accepted.  Still, she never bought a Christmas dress in black for any of my DDs and made a point of telling me that.  I've relaxed that rule when it comes to ordinary clothing but I think about it whenever I see a pretty dress. 

For Moves or Dance tests, I like skaters to wear a plain black dress, but for freestyle the color should reflect the program/music, imo.  While black is practical, it also has connotations of mourning, seduction and evil.  Skating to "Walking on Sunshine" while wearing a black dress doesn't quite reflect the spirit of the program.

For her dance tests, one of my DDs wore a hand-me-down dress that Sk8Dreams gave us a few years ago.  The plain, red-plaid pattern was a HIT because it was unusual - no sparkles or glitter and it fit beautifully with a slightly-longer skirt than most.  One of the judges actually remarked on it to me later because it was different and she skated beautifully.

You might me able to find spandex with glittery diamonds already printed on the fabric, which would make the whole dress less over the top and save you time and money.  Just an idea.  You could make the diamond pattern bigger so you have fewer sparkly lines and flowers.  Craft stores sell the flower-shaped plastic stones in various sizes.

I think it depends with knockoffs - Posters have remarked about how the Chinese eBay sellers are ripping off others' designs.  You seem very capable of coming up with your own designs and ideas.  There's no harm in studying others to get new ideas, especially when you're just getting started.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com