You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: new trend...  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
new trend...
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
There is a new trend at my rink. Everyone has the tip of the right index finger cut off their glove. I finally figured out why. Ipod touch and smart phones, that everyone usesfor music don't work with gloves. :)

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
Re: new trend...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
Makes sense. Recently I came across some gloves that had some kind of material built into the fingertips that was meant to allow use of touch screens without removing the gloves. Seems to me they were ski gloves. If they work, I'm sure it won't be long before someone makes a version for skaters.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:04:37 PM »
My screen works with gloves on pretty well. Once in a while I have to take off my glove to use the screen because sometimes it gets finicky after sitting in the cold for a while.
But my coach has these super thick gloves and has to take her gloves off to use my ipod or her phone.

My camera is what I can't use well with gloves. It's not touchscreen, but it has tiny buttons, and there's five buttons all in a circle that I need to use to slow-motion the video, and I have to take off my glove to hit the right button. A special glove would be handy for that.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
Terrific idea, just cut it off a teeny bit and everything will work, lol.

Or we may start seeing gloves with hooded index finger?

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
I hate-hate-hate when I wear those little knit gloves and they have even the very beginning of a hole in them, so I definitely would not be able to tolerate purposely cutting off a fingertip on a glove.  The gloves I have been wearing now were more expensive, but definitely worth it to know I won't develop holes in my gloves.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »
Makes sense. Recently I came across some gloves that had some kind of material built into the fingertips that was meant to allow use of touch screens without removing the gloves. Seems to me they were ski gloves. If they work, I'm sure it won't be long before someone makes a version for skaters.

You can probably make them yourselves very easily.  Just sew a bit of metallic thread into the glove.  It might even be more precise for controlling the phone.  Also, bonus sparkle!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/

I haven't tried it.  I don't have a phone and I don't wear gloves while skating.  In fact I'll skate in shorts...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
There is a new trend at my rink. Everyone has the tip of the right index finger cut off their glove. I finally figured out why. Ipod touch and smart phones, that everyone usesfor music don't work with gloves. :)

I actually have gloves that work with my iPhone and they're nothing special... cheap ones from Target.  I think if they are thin enough they work just fine.  I make videos with my iPhone all the time and I never have to take my gloves off at the rink for that.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 01:20:39 AM »
You can probably make them yourselves very easily.  Just sew a bit of metallic thread into the glove.  It might even be more precise for controlling the phone.  Also, bonus sparkle!
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/

I haven't tried it.  I don't have a phone and I don't wear gloves while skating.  In fact I'll skate in shorts...

Read about it on The Ice Doesn't Care first and bought 4 feet off eBay. Works like a charm and handy for the winter! Now only if this comes in black color too :D

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:10:33 AM »
Five Below sells these gloves for cheap in a few different colors.  They work great.  I actually wore them yesterday, well, half a pair.  I mixed-and-matched the black ones with a pair of plain black gloves.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »
Jjane45, I actually saw those hodded index finger gloves at Eddie Bauer last month! Very handy.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 12:56:46 AM »
I bought an inexpensive pair at Costco and they work great, but are thin and not very warm.  Today got a pair of very toasty warm ones at TJ Maxx, also not a lot of money.  I'll keep the thinner ones in a lighter weight jacket.
My glass is half full :)