You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Russian Mafia fixes olympics 2002  (Read 1639 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Russian Mafia fixes olympics 2002
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
In this article, on page 6.

"Tokhtakhounov, or “Alik” to his friends, is widely known as a vor or vory v zakone—a Russian term translated as “thief-in-law,” or crime boss. In Russia, he’s well known as an old-guard oligarch, one of many who, under Vladimir Putin, have been largely left alone provided they don’t cause noticeable trouble. He makes appearances at fashion shows and concerts and even published a novel (he has long denied being a vor). But he hasn’t left Russia for a decade because he is facing a federal indictment by the Southern District of New York on charges related to his role in allegedly fixing ice-dancing and pairs-skating competitions at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. “Why in all these games am I the only one to suffer, if I bought medals as part of some conspiracy?” he told one interviewer a few years ago, arms crossed in frustration."

Well, that explains the 2002 olympics. Gagne' was just a tool of the russian mafia. Who else bets on the outcome of ice dancing and pairs? Has anyone heard of this before?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Russian Mafia fixes olympics 2002
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:20:12 PM »
Yes. This was all spelled out in a book I read.

Pairs and Ice Dance were fixed - something about Anasina's mother and some baddies. 

I don't remember the details but because of this we have the IJS which is supposed to make this kind of thing more difficult to pull off.  (cough-cough).