You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What's your best skating memory?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
What's your best skating memory?
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
Just figured I'd toss this thread out there. What's everyone's best memory of skating? Maybe it's your biggest achievement or that fall in the middle of a competition? For me, my best memory of skating is actually from when I was little. I remember getting asked for the first time to participate in the skating carnival for the local club I was a part of. It was a solo bit and up until then I had only skated with others. I remember feeling so elated! The downside is that I never got to actually perform this solo piece. It was shortly after that I dropped out of skating for personal reasons (High school in another town etc. etc.). To this day I still regret not continuing and keeping at it.

What's your best memory?
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: What's your best skating memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:48:15 PM »
Evening public sessions with my skating friends - figure, hockey and speed skaters.  We would skate from 7-8:30pm, have wine & cheese while the ice was resurfaced, go back on the ice to fun things like "speedskaters only," "couples only," "girls/boys only" for a little while then skate until 10pm.  Changed skates and hung out in a nearby diner until 1-2am before heading home.  Such great friends.

I have no skating regrets, despite being a late starter.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Gina10179202

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »
A morning practice many years ago. There was nothing unusual about it, I didn't achieve anything special, but I remember that the session was 5-6 hours long and I skated the entire time. It was like I had endless energy, I didn't get bored and there was no place in the world I'd rather have been.  :love:

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Skating on frozen ponds at night in the 1960s.

There were bonfires on the beach, stars in the sky , lots of people (but not congested/confined together like an indoors rink), cute girls from across town, and secluded inlets under the weeping willows for romancing.
Bill Schneider

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
There are so many but my top 'proud' one was the first time I landed my axel.  I could take you back to the exact spot where it happened lol.  It's forever burned into my brain.

For a funny one... I once competed in a freezing cold ice rink - I mean cold as in we all should have been wearing ski suits.  It was -40 outside and this rink had no heat.  I got so cold that it was like I couldn't breathe and every jump I did I was just like eff it and did a toe loop because I was too cold to consider doing anything else.  Luckily this was way back when if you didn't medal you didn't know what place you came in.  I'm sure I came in last.  My coach was like '.... well... Um... I guess the good thing is that you landed every jump?'

I also have some really good memories as an adult of travelling with a couple friends either to watch big competitions (like worlds) or go to adult competitions.  Those are some great memories.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
@FigureSpins

That sounds like it would definitely be an interesting night. Can't say I've ever mixed booze+skating because it feels like it wouldn't be the best of mixtures XDD

@Gina10179202

My most recent session was like that! Not nearly as long, we went for about an hour and a half but it felt like I just couldn't stop. It's a great feeling isn't it?

@Bill_S

Y'know, that's one of the few things that makes me envious of those born before the 90's. Everyone I know who is around that age now just makes it feel like it would be a much simpler and more enjoyable time. Technology has come such a long way and it really does interfere with special moments like those!

@Amy1984

And why wouldn't it be? From what I know that's usually one of a figure skaters best/favorite moments! One of those achievements you never forget. Though your arena sounds like it was absolutely horrid! Even skating to build up heat would make it feel colder T.T Ech. Sounds like an interesting memory though. ^_^

Love the memories so far everyone!~
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Looking up at the scoreboard after the final round of my Silver Ladies II freeskate event to see my name at the top of it.  It was my first Adult Nationals and I couldn't believe I'd won, out of 3 qualifying groups totaling almost 40 competitors.  I started jumping up and down and couldn't stop! 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
So many amazing memories that it's hard to choose just one!

As a kid I skated at a private club - we had high level competitive skaters but hardly ever had a show and I don't know why... but one year we did and everything about that show sits in my "favorite moment" memories - from the numbers I was in (2), to standing backstage to watch our top competitive skaters do their programs (one of whom actually was Doubletoe's coach all these years later - maybe even when she won that Gold medal at Adult Nationals), to the time in between shows hanging out with my friends (when we did have the show - we did it 4 times - Friday night, Saturday Matinee and evening and then Sunday afternoon - it was a big deal!) - so much fun!!

As an Adult walking into the rink and seeing Paul Wylie sitting on the bench putting his skates on, realizing the person sitting with him was Nancy Kerrigan (pre-1994-whack) -

For my own skating having a coach who was a current National competitor and awesome skater - doing the dances with him, working on the dances, rehearsing them and testing - and the awesome ice-dancers when I lived in Boston...

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »
Not necessarily a favorite, but the best moment was the first time I got back on ice after my TBI/concussion.  Everybody that knew me--family/friends/coworker--were pretty adamant that I not return to the ice. I was just as stubborn that I go back. I took two months off, put on head protection and got back on.

I have to admit that that first day, as I stood at the door, I almost convinced myself to walk away and never set skate to ice again. Then I took several deep breaths, stepped on the ice, and made my way back.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »
At Lake Placid Paul Wylie sat down next to me on the bench and I asked what boots and blades he used and we spent a cheerful couple minutes talking about equipment before his lesson began.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
At Lake Placid Paul Wylie sat down next to me on the bench and I asked what boots and blades he used and we spent a cheerful couple minutes talking about equipment before his lesson began.

He is a really nice guy - when he was at our rink in MA we had a conversation about the local skating club - he had the same opinion of that place that I did!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »

He's doing a seminar this weekend with an adult track. We're pretty excited about it.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
All of these have been wonderful memories! All of them special to each of us. Hopefully as the years go by we can all create more!

My Blog

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 01:51:07 PM »
I only just started skating and did a week of training in Oberstdorf where I previously just went in order to watch the Nebelhorn Trophy. And then suddenly I was allowed onto the ice of the rink where I usually just sat and watched with open mouth! I was allowed to skate there and couldn't believe that nobody chased me away!!  :love: