You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult Nationals: Masters vs. Championship Masters?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Bostyn

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 16
Adult Nationals: Masters vs. Championship Masters?
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
Would someone care to explain the difference in these two divisions? I thought it had something to do with whether you had skated/tested to a certain level as a child, but I really have no idea. I'm planning on coming back to skating in a few years (I'm nearly 25) once I'm finally out of school and settled into my career. I definitely want to compete within the Adult skating world, everyone seems so great!

Anyway, anything that you all would like to share about Adult skating, please enlighten me! I'd love to compete at Nationals some day and I'm having a blast watching all the videos! :)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Re: Adult Nationals: Masters vs. Championship Masters?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
At ANs (and Adult Sectionals), events with a Championship designation mean that you must qualify from Sectionals to compete. All of the age groups are combined, and the top four from each Section qualify. These levels are Championship Gold, Championship Masters Intermediate/Novice, and Championship Masters Junior/Senior.

The non-Championship Masters events are open events. This means that you skate at the level you are eligible for, and you do not have to qualify from Sectionals. Depending on number of entries, these are divided by age group. So Masters Intermediate means that anyone eligible for that event may enter, at their appropriate age category. The levels are Master Intermediate, Masters Novice, Masters Junior and Masters Senior.

Actually, if you read the announcement for this year's ANs, it has links to the current rulebook and the explanations of the events, which may also help.  http://www.2014usadultnationalchampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2014-USAC-FinalAnnoucement.pdf

Offline Bostyn

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
Thank you so much! That is very helpful and makes total sense. SO anyone can compete in their respective level/category according to test - but to compete in your level 'championship,' one must qualify at sectionals. GOT IT :)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
Not to make things more complicated, but there is also an Adult Masters test track for skaters over 50. In a competition, these would be labeled as Class IV (ages 51-60) or Class V (ages 61+).
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
The deadline is Feb. 1st? 

Next year, I will definitely go to Sectionals. 

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
Yes, the deadline to register for any Adult Sectional and ANs is February 1.

Offline Bostyn

• Rink Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »
It'll probably be three years for me to get back on the ice with any sort of regularity. There is no year-round ice where I live currently. Apparently, ice-rinks don't do so well at the beach! :(

I'll be moving to the Atlanta area as soon as I graduate school and will join a club up there. Anybody familiar with Atlanta area clubs that are adult friendly? I'd probably live in/around Alpharetta right at first, that's where I have family.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
GAFSC is headed (president) by one of the most awesome adult skaters.  :)  They also host Peach every Labor Day