You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Going from 8' to 7' rocker blades  (Read 18460 times)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Going from 8' to 7' rocker blades
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »
I went from a phantom to gold seals a few months ago.  My Phantoms were all ready flat from too many sharpenings, so I didn't think blade curvature was an issue. 

I saw a definite improvement in spins and turns, as well as my axel (this may be because I had an actual rocker to jump off of).

I did have trouble with toe jumps... The pick size was completely different, as was the placement of the toe pick (further forward than my phantom blades).

To be honest I'm still transitioning, but in the long run I think I'll be very happy with the change.

My twizzles were terrible both before and after!  That's something I'll just need practice on.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »
Is Gold seal - the spinning bit- is it more curved than Phantom, or is the same?

The spin rocker is both shorter and rounder (smaller radius) than the Phantom, but it's not actually as huge of a difference as it seems to be described as.  How well you'll adapt to it really depends on your own skating technique - some people can switch between blades with little difficultly and be completely comfortable within one skating session while others may take longer to get used to a different rocker.

Twizzles probably will be a problem if it is flatter, won't it? (well, I suppose they can't be worse because mine are bad enough now!  ;D )

Honestly, I don't think so.. because again, it's a technique issue... the difference between 7' and 8' is really marginal over the length of the blade, so they probably won't be any 'worse' than before but it may take you a little while to get used to them on new blades, just like with spinning.. however that would be the case even if you simply went to a new version of your current blades and not to a different profile.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
I believe the Phantom is a slim-line blade - i.e., the working surface is thinner than the Gold Seal.

Some people say slim-line blades make twizzles somewhat easier to progress and spins somewhat harder to center. I don't know enough to be sure, or to know why it would make a difference.

Of course that is just one of several differences between the blades.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
Phantoms (and the phantom special version) are definitely not slim-line like a dance blade.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 04:39:17 AM »
Thank you, guys! I decided to stick to Phantoms.  (I am not very good with changes!  :blush: )

It is quite shock to have a new blade, even if it is the same one as before. I think now I can appreciate what everyone means by blade not being stable (rocking forward and backwards). (did I really write a few post above that I have rocker 7 and have no problem with stability? I think I am taking my words back!) Oh dear, maybe I should have gone for anything with rocker 8?

But my turns are suddenly so easy.  :) Twizzles got even more dangerous.  ;D  It turns so quickly and effortlessly, that it feels completely out of control.

And the blades go so quickly, smoothly and efforlesly, that maybe it's a good job I didn't get the rocker 8. I love the speed, but it is seriously weird to have the same speed as usual without needing to even push. (I am used to push because I love speed but I think if I push now, that will be suicidal).

I have to say I am shocked about the difference between old blades and new blades. I knew that the more you sharpen the blades, the more flatter they become, but because this happens over several years, I don't think I fully appreciated how much different it feels.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
I felt the same when I switched to my paramounts - the gliding was effortless and the turns "just happened" but that didn't last terribly long.. now they just feel like I expect them to :)