You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Will my boots stretch out or should I have them punched out/molded?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline mjebos86

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
I’m currently skating in GAM Concepts - I didn’t have a whole lot to spend and since this model was discontinued it’s available for pretty cheap online. I definitely took a risk ordering them without trying them on, but I lucked out in that the 7.5C seems to be the closest I would have gotten to an off-the-shelf fit. My heel is snug and secure in the back of the boot, and my toes come right up to the front of the boot without being crushed - to the point where they actually wouldn’t fit if I were wearing thick socks (which I understand is how skates are supposed to fit).

I haven’t had any issues with blisters at all, but I am having some discomfort along the outsides of my feet, and also around the big toe joints. It feels like it might be an issue of needing them to be slightly wider across the widest part of my foot. I obviously don’t want to injure myself, but I also don’t want to go to the trouble of having the boots punched out or molded if this part of the boot is likely to stretch out over time as I break in the skates. I’ve only skated a total of about 6 hours in them, so far.

Is it likely that the boots will stretch out a bit as I break them in, or should I take these to a pro shop to have the fit adjusted?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Will my boots stretch out or should I have them punched out/molded?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 04:03:02 PM »
If you've used the skates, on-ice, for less than 10-12 hours, hold off on doing anything.  They can and will stretch a bit.  Put a plastic bag over your socks to ease the break-in period.

Gam Concept boots are heat-moldable.  If you haven't had that done as yet, that would be the easiest way to make adjustments.  Either the pro shop can do it or you can use the DIY-home instructions.  If you put a ankle-height sock on your foot while the boots cool/mold, it will make it a little wider.

Heat molding is less aggressive than punching out, but if it's still tight after heat molding, try punching out.

If it's your arch area that aches, that's a "skates too narrow" issue that molding/punching out may not be able to relieve.  #askmehowiknow

Edit: removed comment about prior heel fit post -- wrong OP.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
I had absolutely no luck with heat molding. Zero. Totally worthless. I think if it's more than a quarter size different I'm better off buying boots that fit.

I had to cut the forefoot of both boots with one pair, because heat molding didn't work for boots that were too tight in the foot. And on another pair I just tweaked it with new lace tying. Otherwise, I suffered.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »
BTW, the higher the level of boot, the less a stretch fit (meaning, you just wear the boot, and hope it will stretch to fit) works. With very thin single layer leather, a stretch fit may be enough. But you have possibly graduated to boots that won't stretch much without heat and/or pressure.

If the tightness is at the base of the foot, heat molding, or punching, may not help much, because the foot bed can't stretch much, if at all. If it is a few tenths of an inch higher, there is a very good chance that a heat mold may help a little.

If that isn't enough, you may need to punch too. Maybe more than once.

And if those things don't work enough - or maybe first if you are adventurous, you can try removing the insoles, and putting something much thinner in (especially at the tight spot), to make a little more space.

Good luck!

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:29 AM »
When I got my Jackson Artistes, my first skates, stiffness 35, ordered online, the left skate was fine. The right one was so tight across the widest part of my foot and around the big toe, I thought buying on line was a dreadful mistake. (My right foot is slightly bigger). I certainly couldnt have skated in them. I wore them in the house with damp socks, mainly sitting on the sofa and doing the washing up because I read about not walking in them and the damp socks on line. Probably for about 8 hours in 1/2 hour blocks, because they were so uncomfortable. They gradually eased off and have been fine.

I would definitely wait before punching out or they could end up too big. Do your feet get reasonably warm while skating? If not I would try wearing them at home. 

Offline hellotwizzles

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »

If it's your arch area that aches, that's a "skates too narrow" issue that molding/punching out may not be able to relieve.  #askmehowiknow

Edit: removed comment about prior heel fit post -- wrong OP.

wait... I’ve been having arch pain while skating... and I thought I was just working harder. its not constant, usually when I bend my knee to glide forward.

/praying I am not *that* adult skater who needs custom boots/ not until I am a tester please!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
Get the boots stretched in the front. They can't be stretched all that much, so you aren't in danger of over-stretching them.
Boots get get less stiff with wear, but they should never be pressing in on the sides of your feet, even in the beginning (except the ankles, which is why you get them heat-molded and wear gel ankle sleeves).  You only have one pair of feet; don't make them compete with your boots to see who will break in whom.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »
Arch pain can be caused by many different things:

1. Boot is too thin somewhere, which pushes the arch(es) of your foot higher than it is are comfortable.

Based on your description, this seems the most likely explanation. But read the other possible causes, and see if you can rule them out.

As I said before, if the thin part is at the very bottom of the boot, it can not be stretched, because the outsole cannot stretch. However, if it is a few mm higher, it can be stretched somewhat - maybe by a couple mm. If a little higher, it can be stretched a little bit more.

And as I said, I think your boots are too stiff to do a stretch fit just by wearing them - though you may want to give them a week or two, if you haven't already. You need heat, pressure from a boot punch, and possibly moisture or alcohol - though neither fluid is good for the leather.

You can do this yourself too, using a somewhat less expensive tool: a ball and ring pliers. Also called a hoke and ball pliers, or a cast iron bunion stretcher. E.g. here. See my web page for directions, though it may be easiest to let your most expert skate tech try to do it, though if the stretch is too large, it will keep unstretching, so you may want the tool to restretch it every month or so.

Another fix: if you remove the insole, that will cause your foot to sit a few mm (at most) lower in the boot, which is normally slightly wider. Beware - if there are nails protruding from the bottom of the boot, or anything else rough or sharp, you need something to replace the insole that is thick enough to smooth things out.

You can combine all of these things.

If it is #1, and it is impossible to stretch the boot enough, even if you remove the insole, unfortunately the cure involves buying another pair of boots.  :sweat  Given that skate boots cost a lot of money, this causes a different type of pain.  :sad:

2. The arch of the boot is significantly higher than the arch of your foot. Same result. Can be fixed by altering the shape of the insole, or making a new one, with a lower arch. Or add tape or adhesive foam under the sides of the insole, to bring them up.

3. The arch of the boot is significantly lower than the arch of your foot. This forces your the arch of your foot to flatten more than is comfortable. Same fix, but make the insole with a higher arch - or just add tape or adhesive foam under the middle of the insole.

4. The sideways (left to right) tilt of the bottom of the boot, including the insole, does not match the sideways tilt of the bottom of your foot. The way I see it, the primary effect is to force your muscles to compensate, which eventually (it takes a while) starts to cause muscle soreness. Once again, you can make a new insole, or modify the existing one.

5. The fit isn't tight enough under your arch, and you are slipping under the arch, and getting a blister. Same fix as #3.

6. Maybe there are other things that I haven't thought of.

If you can't figure out which problem affects you, experiment. Doing the wrong thing will probably make the pain worse, doing the right thing will make it go away.

Good luck!

Offline mjebos86

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
Thanks for all the expert advice here!! After a couple more sessions with them, the only real problem was still the sides of the balls of my feet, right behind my big toe. I had them punched out at that spot yesterday, and I haven’t gotten on the ice in them yet but I can already feel they’re much more comfortable when I put them on and stand up - so I think I’m in good shape for now!!