You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Late to the party but learning how to dance!  (Read 1971 times)

Offline EvieJW

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Late to the party but learning how to dance!
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:07:09 AM »
Hi Everyone
I’m 28 and a complete novice to skating. I only stepped on the ice for the first time last year. I’m planning on taking an adult learn to skate class but would really like to at least be able to skate without using the barrier before starting. I’m relying on it less and less but I guess I just wanted some tips or advice to help me make that leap and get properly out on the ice.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Late to the party but learning how to dance!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Safety First: wear a helmet, gloves and wrist guards until you can skate on one foot backwards with ease. 

Go to the rink's public/open skating sessions and skate. 

Start near the wall, you can hold on with one hand, but hold the other arm up for balance.  Face the direction you want to skate.

Use small marching steps - don't try to walk.
Bend and lift your knees to march, putting the foot back down next to the other.  Don't put it down in front - this is not walking, it's skating.

If you get wobbly, don't grab the wall, instead: bend your knees, keep your weight over both feet and feet pointed straight ahead (and parallel to each other/wall.)
You can put your hands on your thighs to get your balance back - just let yourself glide to a stop.

Once you feel comfortable marching along the wall, take a step to the left and march without touching the wall.  Add a short two-footed glide in that semi-sitting position.
Practice that over and over until you're in control. 

I personally think adult skaters should be able to march and glide before they start lessons. 

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com