You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What boots and blade do you wear???  (Read 28017 times)

Offline infinitespiral

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: What boots and blade do you wear???
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
Jackson Elles with the stock Ultima Mirage blade. I've been in them since November and they seem to be fine for me at my current level (just passed Adult 3 as I'm re-learning all my basics after a decade off the ice). I probably could have done with a half size larger, but they've broken in sufficiently that I'm not in pain like I was the first couple of times out. :)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »
My Jacksons have started becoming unbearably painful - I suspect more to do with my feet than anything else - so I got fitted for and ordered a new pair of Edea Choruses. Will still be in the Coronation Aces, but need to buy a shorter size as the Edea sole profile is smaller.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline IzziAngel

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »
I'm a beginner (Adult 4) and just got my first pair of 'real' skates last Saturday.  Jackson Competitors with Aspire XP blades, bought them used but they were only worn twice before. I should probably note that a actual skate tech measured my feet and made sure they were the right fit. I was skating on Rec skates for 6 months which is why I call my new skates 'real' skates.  My feet hate me right now but it will be absolutely worth it soon! (...I hope)
What is hard today, will one day be your warm-up.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2018, 05:05:15 PM »
I am currently in Riedell Bronze Stars with a Coronation Ace blade. My first pair of real skates  :love: Since I bought the boots on ebay with very little guidance or knowledge, they do not fit well. Much too narrow and at least a full size too long. I am currently working on axels and have quite a bit of life left in these boots. When I am ready for new boots (and every time my foot cramps, I feel ready  :o ) I am planning on going to visit Bruce in Colorado Springs for a pair of Edeas. He's fitted both of my adult skating pals and they're thrilled with their boots. My coach also recently switched and she recommended that I do the same. After watching the Olympics, it seems like Edeas are taking over the world!

My first pair of real skates as an adult (I had skated as a kid) were Reidell either Bronze or Silver stars with Coronation Ace blades - (this was back in about 1986 so the skates were different then) - BUT it is interesting that I had the same problems - they were too long and too narrow -

I liked the Aces of course -

After that I became a dedicated SP Teri girl - much better skate for me (and WAY before the Edea was invented as far as I know) -

But it is interesting that you had the same experience as I did -

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
Two new pairs in my skating family yesterday. My Jackson Premieres with old MK Pro blades (thank goodness they transferred). Hurt like heck when I skated yesterday--need to heat mold and then move the right blade somewhere else. I couldn't find an edge to save my life on the right. Left is fine. Both inner ankle bones were painful.

Granddaughter got her first pair of new (as opposed to used) skates yesterday. Fitter tried her in Jackson and Reidell (sp?), but thought her foot looked more Reidell than Jackson. Elizabeth like the the Reidell better because "the inside is blue" so she's in a size 11 Reidell Opal. She *is* four, but she was excited about getting new skates. She says she fell once during LTS, but got right back up. She is really enjoying skating and asks to go!
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »
Risport RF1 Elite (x2)

Eclipse Pinnacle
Eclipse Infinity (Backup Pair)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »
Riedell Silver Stars with an Ultima Freestyle blade.

These took me a while (well, I've had the blades since my first 'real' pair of skates) because my feet are weird. I ended up in semi-customs with a split width.

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »

I'm wondering if all entry level boots are short lived? Mine as well lasted really short it didn't even make the one year anniversary of having them lol. The Riedell 910ls . Now I have the Jackson premiere they feel much stiffer and much more comfortable. Good luck on finding your right fit boot!

Ripping the ice all day!

I don't think they do. Boots I've worn that lasted only 6-8 months despite being a basic level skater for me included the Riedell Stride Riedell 910 Now started to break down the Jackson Debut. (I had overly large freestyles when I started)

The Riedells would soften and crease on me. The Jackson's stay stiff but the padding starts to break down and I would imagine after that goes the stiffeners then the leather.

I have new customs in process which supposedly be ready in 10 days.