You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Phantoms vs. Gold Star - What to buy  (Read 4767 times)

Offline adultsk8ter

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Phantoms vs. Gold Star - What to buy
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »
I am an adult skater back on the ice after a 14 year hiatus. I have been skating on Harlick boots and Majestic blades and while I always loved my boots I was never really satisfied with my blades. I bought everything 23 years ago so I have gotten my money's worth for sure. The bridge of my foot widened slightly when I was pregnant so now my Harlicks are uncomfortable and make my toes fall asleep so, sadly, it's time for new equipment. My coach has suggested Edea Ice Flys and either Gold Star or Phantom Blades. We know that I am only working on singles at the moment but we're going with the Ice Flys because of the low break in time and lightweight nature that she has found beneficial to other adult skaters she coaches. When it comes to the blades I am a little more lost. I know that both of these blades cater to elite skaters. Am I getting in over my head? I have just never been happy with my Majestics. Between The MK Phantoms and MK Gold Star (she also mentioned the Wilson Goad Seal) what are the pros and cone? Or is there a different blade I should consider>

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Phantoms vs. Gold Star - What to buy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
The Majestic is a pretty low-level blade.

You MIGHT like the Gold Seals or Phantoms but why not go with the Coronation Ace or MK Professional?

That's what I would do if I were you.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
I went from a Majestic to an MK Professional.  My spins were instantly better, although that might have been a result of having properly sized boots.  The transition was very easy.  The MK Pro and Coronation Ace are excellent blades for skaters doing singles.

Offline adultsk8ter

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
Thanks! I will look at both of those blades. Maybe since I am splurging on the high end boot I should work my way up with the blades. I was a little unsure if I needed to go really high end with my blades yet since I am still working on single spins. But I have always been unsatisfied with my Majestic blades and felt like I need an upgrade. With the MK Professional would you go with the Revolution?

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
I don't know anything about Revolutions.  I just have standard MK Pros.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:10 PM »
I second (or third) the JW Coronation Ace or MK Professional recommendations - that's what I recommend to my own skaters who are at your level.  IIRC, the Majestics from a decade ago were on par with the MK Double Star blade, which was an introductory Freeskate blade.  The CorAce/Professional would be a step up, as opposed to two steps up for a Phantom/Gold Star blade, three steps for Pattern 99's/Gold Seals.

I have had Gold Seals in both traditional and Revolution variations over the past few years.  The Revs are lighter, but haven't done anything awesome for spins or jumps.  Frankly, I think the traditional blade is better for skaters at your level since the weight adds "ooomph" to spin entries and helps refine technique.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
The CorAce/Professional would be a step up, as opposed to two steps up for a Phantom/Gold Star blade, three steps for Pattern 99's/Gold Seals.
In the days when MK and Wilson were separate companies, I thought the MK Gold Star went toe-to-toe with the Wilson Gold Seal:  different design details, but same overall caliber.  Just curious, why do you consider the Gold Star to be a step down from the Gold Seal?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
Mainly perception - the Gold Stars were less expensive than Gold Seals unless you had them gold-plated, lol.  Gold Star blades have a 7' rocker radius whereas the Gold Seals have an 8' radius.  I remember (from years ago) skaters transitioning to Gold Seals from Phantoms and Gold Stars to get more run out on jump landings. If that's not an issue, don't worry.  (Frankly, I don't think landing run outs are a big deal under IJS. The skater has to pack so much into the program that there's no time to h-o-l-d a landing edge as long as 6.0 rewarded.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com