You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

For those who have ordered custom boots, what was your experience?

The fit was proper as received (minor adjustments, including heat molding, allowed for); and I was happy.
9 (60%)
I had to send them back at least once, but eventually I was happy.
2 (13.3%)
I had to send them back at least once.  They never worked out.  But I got my money back.
0 (0%)
I had to send them back at least once.  They never worked out.  I had to eat the loss.
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Custom boots  (Read 9015 times)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Custom boots
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »
Two pairs of custom Harlicks that sort of worked but still had issues each time, even after multiple punches/adjustments. I think if we could have gone to the factory for her fitting, maybe we would have had different results.

Our experience with Riedell's full customs has been FANTASTIC! My daughter's foot is difficult to fit (EE ball, AA heel) so we went to the factory and Dan recommended all sorts of modifications. First pair of boots that are comfortable from front to back without needing a single punch out or adjustment. Riedell's pricing was reasonable - one flat charge for customs no matter how many options or changes you make, including things like lamb's wool tongs, dance backstays and colors/designs. They have a new special sole option (looks like some kind of rubber epoxy) under the ball and my daughter says in makes a big difference in reducing ice vibrations. She loves them, and they look cool (important to a teen).

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
Those are very pretty boots. Although stock Reidells didn't fit my feet I think the 910 Riedell Flairs were my favorite because of that backstay

This is the only photo I've taken of my Avantas so far.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Total GOE: 24
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
Those are beautiful, love that curvy heel! I prefer classic white leather, but my teen wanted something 'cool' and her coaches figured she could train in whatever made her happy. My daughter's feet would never fit in a stock Riedell either, I'm super impressed with how well they built a custom boot for her. I didn't realize they did full customs until this year, which is why we had never considered them before. These were based on the silver star in terms of stiffness and such.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
Even their stock boots don't have insoles, at least according to the people I've talked to (post receiving these) that have their stock boots.  There's a thin piece of leather in every pair they make, that's it.

If they don't provide insoles in their boots then they should definitely have asked what insoles or orthotics you were planning to wear with them so they could accomodate them.

Offline icepixie

• Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
If they don't provide insoles in their boots then they should definitely have asked what insoles or orthotics you were planning to wear with them so they could accomodate them.

They expect you to skate with just the leather liner.  This is actually what the people I know who have their stock boots do; I have no idea how they manage.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
They expect you to skate with just the leather liner.  This is actually what the people I know who have their stock boots do; I have no idea how they manage.
Reminds me of the Riedell boots I bought way back when (70's - 90's).  They also had thin, though removable, liners on top of the fixed insoles.  Fortunately, the fixed insoles were well finished.  I'm currently on the Jackson Elite Suedes; they came with foam footbeds.  Essential, because I was surprised to find exposed staples on the fixed insoles. 

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 07:53:18 PM »

:o

Wow, even so, I would still expect them to ask if you plan to use insoles, orthotics, etc.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
.... I was surprised to find exposed staples on the fixed insoles.

Bingo!! I found that in stock Jacksons
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
They are probably still in there. The lasts have metal plates on them so they can drive nails/staples into the boot and it causes a burr so it doesn't get stuck in the last but it stays in the final product.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
They are probably still in there. The lasts have metal plates on them so they can drive nails/staples into the boot and it causes a burr so it doesn't get stuck in the last but it stays in the final product.
Yeah, this is disappointing in a $500 pair of boots.  They should glue down a thin, tough liner to cover up the sharp ends.  When I pulled out and reinserted the footbed, I snagged my fingertip and drew blood.  I replaced the stock footbed with one of my own.  I would prefer to remove the footbed after each session to promote faster drying of the boot and footbed, but the sharp ends will damage the footbed (as well as my fingertips) if I slide it in-and-out daily.  It would have been a simple, cheap fix at the factory, but not so easy in the finished product.

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
The fixed insole is made out of texon hardboard which is sort of a resin-infused cardboard so some moisture probably does get trapped between the insole and the footbed.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:48 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I'll let the poll run, but here's a snapshot of the results as of May 30, 2018.