You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Viral Black Ice Video  (Read 2545 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Viral Black Ice Video
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
This is a cute news piece on a guy who went down his driveway, sideways.  Of course, his wife posted the video on FB, lol.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/watch-viral-video-black-ice-skating-driveway-fall-ashburn-468654323.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

I like the reporter - he's fun!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Viral Black Ice Video
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
Pat Collins, the tv feature reporter for NBC4, is well known in the Wash, DC area.  It was a good thing that the slidee (might be a word) was stopped at the bottom of the driveway by his mailbox before sliding out into traffic--which probably couldn't have braked or steered to avoid him.  I wonder if the wife has a big fat life insurance policy on the guy...

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Viral Black Ice Video
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »
As near as I can tell he didn't significantly touch the mailbox. He was partially stopped by the roll, partially by pushing against what he was carrying as it hit the grass.

Some of us could have more fun on the same trajectory, and make the fall more graceful too - IF IT WAS PLANNED, which probably wasn't the case here. But it was still a fairly decent rolling fall. He did a good tuck and roll, and used the grass to slightly cushion both the initial impact, and the hit with what he was carrying. I doubt he is seriously hurt.

Even his ego is intact. He didn't even mind his wife's video post.

Incidentally, ice frozen over grass can be extremely slippery too, for vehicles, even with caution, a full 4WD low gear transfer case, and all weather tires, sometimes even with traction mats and emergency chains. From experience I have learned not to pull off onto grass in cold whether - it is frequently (usually?) more slippery and harder to get moving on than road, especially salted road. (I've likewise learned that it can be very, very bad in wet weather, where it, like bare ground, can easily turn into a muddy mess. Grass is bad.)

But why is such a video worthy of so much interest? It's not such an unusual thing to slip on your driveway or a walkway, especially if it has a hill, and no salt, gravel, kitty litter or sand. One of the many reasons why learning to fall gently is so useful.