You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Flyers Skate Zone - Voorhees/Atlantic City, NJ  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Flyers Skate Zone - Voorhees/Atlantic City, NJ
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
I've always wondered where the Flyers Skate Zone was in relation to AC and last weekend, I found out!  (I know a few people who skate there, so I was curious.). It's off the bay in Voorhees/Atlantic City, NJ, not far from the public high school.  (Which has an awesome site, right alongside the water!)

Two word review: hockey rink.  They subscribe to the order-taking model of renting ice rather than running programs, although they do have a Basic Skills program. 

Maintenance: the flooring needs work - there were several trip-spots where the rubber tiles had lifted.  The ladies restroom was clean and the fixtures all worked.  No graffit and the paint was I. Good shape.  Could use a good scrubbing where the walls/floors meet and the plumbing fixtures.  Lots of rusty discoloration, which looks bad.

The lobby serves as the snack bar/eating area.  It was okay, but a little tight if it was crowded.  The party room was pretty blase' inside the rink itself.  Just an empty windowed room with plastic folding tables and chairs.  Probably looks fine with balloons and decorations/tablecloths.

No harness.  It's a point of contention.  Mgmt doesn't want to invest, so coaches teaching higher-level skaters would have to go elsewhere to use a harness.

Lots of bulletin boards and several trophy cases filled with hockey trophies.  Didn't see one with figure skating trophies.

Staff was very helpful and friendly. 

The Atlantic City FSC is the home club.  They offer freestyle sessions, shows and competitions.  The rink offers public sessions. Staff was very nice.

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Flyers Skate Zone - Voorhees/Atlantic City, NJ
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:01 PM »
Vicki Monroe is a good coach there.  Other comments are spot on.  I skate at the AC skate zone maybe 4 or 5 times a year when I go to Brigantine.  Very handy to have an ice rink within 15 minutes of the island.