You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lake Placid Adult Weekend  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 3
Lake Placid Adult Weekend
« on: April 16, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »
Is anyone from the forum signing up/interested in going? I signed up and will be there. It's June 16-19. I went a few years ago and it was so much fun!  :)

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
Re: Lake Placid Adult Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
I'm considering going but on the fence.  I went to a lake placid adult week once and it was great.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
Would it be overload for someone roughly midway through the basic skills?  I'm thinking about it but wouldn't want to be completely out of place there...

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »
Just replying to give this a bump.  I'd really like to hear from other people who've gone. I've thought of going for the last few years but I don't have anyone to go with so I'd like to make sure it's awesome and worth attending alone.

Offline Andrea.Spencer-Kemler

• Rink Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
I would love love love to go but not sur about th $$ and leaving my two year old. Perhaps next year as a family vacation!! Anyone ever attend with family in tow?

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 08:27:29 PM »
I'm considering it as well.  No one to really leave my dog with and there's the fact that she would like the Adirondacks maybe even more than me!

Also, wondering about the "level" of skater that makes it worthwhile.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:51:33 AM »
Wow!!! I'm glad so many people are considering going!!! I'd love to meet you!!!  :) Well.... I went about 5 years ago, so things might have changed, but when I went last time it was really laid back. It wasn't structured where you had to attend/skate certain levels and classes. The practices ran throughout the day and you could choose which times worked for you and all levels of adults were on the rink together. There are classes, (I didn't take any last time but might this time), but I think they offer basic stroking, and other classes for lower levels. There are also a lot of off-ice classes, so if you are better at dance or yoga or want to work on rotation on a trampoline they have that too. :) If you have pets, I think there are a few hotels that take pets. I'm pretty sure The Golden Arrow (across from the rink is pet-friendly). Here is a link to the Adult Week Page: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/programs/adult.php

Offline Toby Wollin

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
I talked to all of my teachers at my Learn-to-skate program about going and 3/4 told me to go. The three that said, "do it!" were the three who'd gone to the week training. The other teacher had never been. There is a class in 'basics' and 'stroking' and patch plus all sorts of other on-ice classes. Plus, there are off-ice classes in conditioning, yoga and ballroom dance for skaters. I'm registered and will be there for sure. And, just as a comparison - I am still missing my 'skating backward on one foot' and 'two foot spins' to pass out of Adult 3, so if my teachers believe I can get a lot out of it with my skill level, it might be a good thing for others to do.

Offline theoreticalgirl

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
I had thought about it, but between not being to get the vacation time and having to buy new blades, it's just not in the cards.

On the bright side, Paul Wylie is coming to Wissahickon Skating Club in Philadelphia for a 1-day clinic, so that's almost as good as going, right?  :)

http://www.wissskating.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016-Paul-Wylie-brochure-Final.pdf

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »
Decided to go and excited!  Anyone else on the fence decide to go too ?

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
Probably not this time around… scheduling is getting in the way for both the weekend and the full week in August.  Maybe next year!

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
So glad at least two forum members are going. It is going to be so fun!!!  :) Hope the weather is good!!! Last time I went I spent all day in the rink, but now I am older and the knee is not so good (arthritis). Planning to see more of Lake Placid this time. Heard there is a boat tour and other fun things to do.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
If you're going to LP, coach Jenn Lupia is offering a variety of coaching services, some housing and a Spin Challenge!

http://jennloops.weebly.com/summer-camps.html
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Toby Wollin

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
Ok, foljs here is my evaluation.  First though, readers need to know that I am in Adult 3, so you get the idea of what level I'm on and what I can and can't do.
First and most importantly   if you want small classes with lots of attention,  this is your place. There were all of 20 people registered.
If you're looking for early morning ice with little competition, this is your place. Both mornings that I went in for the 7 am patch, there were few people: morning 1, just me. Morning 2, total of 3 people. And they resurface the ice just before the patch session: New ice and your own skating rinks to do figures. LUXURY.
Lots of class choices  and pretty flexible on terms of dealing with people who are not at a high level. Of course, if you want to do axes and camels, etc, there are those classes too. Even at my lev3l, I was able to find 5 classes Friday and Saturday that I  could take and get something done.
If you want to take private lessons, there are plenty of coaches to work with.
Downsides:
There is no such thing as a map of the olympic center, so the first day will be spend trying to figure out where the rinks , the locker room and so on are located,

THE CLOCKS ARE BASICALLY UNREADABLE FROM THE ICE. bring a watch.
I got a tremendous amount out of going. I will save my pennies for a couple of private lessons next time.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »

THE CLOCKS ARE BASICALLY UNREADABLE FROM THE ICE. bring a watch.
I got a tremendous amount out of going. I will save my pennies for a couple of private lessons next time.

You may want to read all these posts too.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/p/lake-placid-skate-camp-review.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »
I've had a blast.  It's been great meeting fellow adult skaters and everybody is so nice from the skaters to the coaches.  Mornings are empty, but really anytime there isn't a group class on,  there are really only maybe 6 people on the ice, coaches included.  Makes for great patch in the morning as Toby said, and excellent MITF pattern practice.  One more day to go!

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »
I had a GREAT time too! Got to meet a lot of fellow skaters including people from our forum. Everyone was SO NICE!!! Took 4 on-ice classes and learned a LOT! And even got a pointer on my jumps from Olympic Champion Mr. Oleg Protopopov (who was on the ice with us)!!! :) We had great weather, and Lake Placid is such a beautiful place!!! I had an AWESOME time and can't wait to go back next year! If anyone can make the week long camp in August, I'd definitely recommend it. It was SO worth it!!! (I wish I could, but can't get the time off of work, or afford to go again so soon.)