You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Greater Boston Rinks  (Read 3819 times)

Offline EnjoyTheGlide

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Waltz Hops
Greater Boston Rinks
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
Here are a handful of rinks that I've been to in the Boston area.  I'll try to keep this updated regularly and if anyone wants me to clarify anything or include more information, feel to ask or let me know.

Burlington Ice Palace – Burlington
Ice availability: Year-round
Public skating times: Refer to calendar on rink website
Public skating fee: Yes ($5.00)
Rental availability: Yes ($5.00)
Sharpening: NA (?)
Concessions: NA (?)
Comments: An FMC Ice Sports rink tucked away at the end of an avenue next to a gym.  I've only been here for weekly private lessons during the summer.  The managers are approachable.  The lobby is very clean, but small and has limited number of benches and chairs—almost makes you wish you invested in a Zuca if you don't already own one when figure skaters and their coaches come in.

Daly Rink – Newton
Ice availability: Winter months
Public skating fee: Yes ($5.00 adults / $3.00 youth); season passes available ($100 individual / $150 family)
Sharpening: Yes ($5.00)
Comments: A riverside rink that offers regular public skating and is popular with ice tourists.  Pretty chilly.

John A. Ryan Arena – Watertown
Ice availability: NA (?)
Public skating fee: None (?)
Rental availability: Yes ($5.00 adults / $3.00 students and seniors)
Sharpening: Yes ($5.00)
Concessions: Yes
Comments: A dedicated hockey rink.  I've only been to this rink once or twice, but I remember it being one of the coldest I've been to.  If the link is broken, rink and public skating information can be accessed through the Watertown city website.

Skating Club of Boston – Boston
Ice availability: Year-round
Public skating times: Saturdays 12:20PM-1:50PM (all ages) / Tuesdays 9:40PM-10:30PM (adults only) (Aug. 2015 to June 2016)
Public skating fee: Yes ($8.00 adults / $5.00 youth)
Rental fee: Yes ($5.00)
Sharpening: Yes
Concessions: Yes (limited hours)
Comments: Probably the only dedicated figure skating rink in the area and warm enough that you can probably get away with comfortably skating in just sweatpants and a t-shirt if you wanted.  Has an in-house skate tech and shop (Skater's Landing), but is actually independently-owned.  Snack bar offers tasty food, but operating hours seem to be irregular.  Saturday public skating nowadays is chaotic, especially during the winter months—the center ice is coned off for learn-to-skate lessons, leaving an oblong, donut-shaped area on the perimeter for public skating skaters, kind of like a running track.  Adults only public skating on Tuesday evenings offers a more pleasant experience with full access to the ice, but music is blared loudly and the mirrors are shuttered off.  A couple of years ago, they used to play old timey music during Tuesday evening public skating.

Stoneham Arena – Stoneham
Ice availability: NA (?)
Public skating times: Weekdays 10:00AM-11:45AM
Public skating fee: Yes ($5.00 adults / $4.00 youth)
Sharpening: NA
Comments: I've only been to this rink once, but my former coach told me that many adult skaters like this rink for uncrowded practice during morning public skating.  A bit chilly and PLENTY of spaces to sit and spectate.  If the link is broken, rink and public skating information can be accessed through the Stoneham city website.

Veterans Memorial Rink – Waltham
Ice availability: Late autumn to early spring
Public skating times: Tuesdays to Thursdays 10:00AM-11:50AM / Fridays 7:00PM-8:50PM / Saturdays and Sundays 2:00PM-3:50PM
Public skating fee: Yes ($4.00 adults / $2.00 youth and seniors)
Sharpening: Yes ($5.00 / additional $3.00 for rusty or new skates)
Concessions: Yes
Comments: The rink is a bit chilly owing to it being more hockey-centric, but the value is good overall.  Secondly, the manager and staff are incredibly friendly.  Weekday public skating is not crowded at all, there usually no more than half a dozen people on the ice at a time.  Kids usually come here during weekend public skating.