You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New skates advice please!  (Read 1363 times)

Offline shepherdess

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
New skates advice please!
« on: May 18, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »
I need to upgrade my skates.  I am presently using basic Graf 500 and want something better.  I am on single jumps (not axels yet though - but I hope it won't be long!) spins, and steps sequences as complicated as I can get them, ready for my competition program.

Can I please ask you all for some advice as to what boot and blade I should now upgrade to.  Edea look very popular and I am considering the 'overture' but most suppliers provide what appears to be a very basic MK IV Ultima blade - should I perhaps have a better blade?  What other boots are of the same level as the Edea overture?  I am not particularly (ahem!) financially well off  so don't really want to go over £200 (I think that's about $400).

Any advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks!

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: New skates advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:53 AM »
Have you checked out Jackson and Gam?  I'm guessing you're in the UK and I don't know how popular those are out there, but from the price points I've seen, you're going to get more for your buck than with Graf.  They seem to be slightly less expensive.  For example, I'm in Jackson Elite boots, I think one below the most strong, and paid about $485.  My Gam's were about the same stiffness and I think were around $400.  In comparison, I think the Risports I had, which were less stiff, were about a hundred dollars more.  When I bought my Jackson boots, I made sure to keep price as an important selection criteria.  If the fit of a more expensive brand is absolutely necessary, go for it, but it's also important to be conscious of the price and what you need, etc.

As for blades, the MK IV blade you mentioned is not bad per se - I skated in it for quite a bit.  But if you bump up the price a little bit, Ultima has a lot of options that are better and will cost less than the more 'traditional' brands.  I have the legacy I think?  I compared the price to other blades that were similar and the price couldn't be beat.  They're really smooth, too.  Eclipse has a similar price point if Ultima isn't for you.  This is based on NA prices, though, and being in the UK means that Wilson and MK might be pretty reasonably priced for you.

I swear I'm not a Jackson sales rep!  Just a happy customer :)

Hope this helps!

Offline shepherdess

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:15 AM »
Thank you Amy, that's really interesting. Jackson are hardly mentioned over here as far as the boot is concerned, blades are quite popular though.  I will see if they stock the boots  in our ice rink shop and try them out.  You are right about the blades, its mainly John Wilson.   I like the look of the Jackson lite but can't find them for sale anywhere online - they may have been discontinued which is a shame as I would prefer a light blade if I can afford one!!

Offline shepherdess

• Rink Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:54:17 AM »
Just a quick update - I ended up buying Edea Overture boots with Coronation Ace crosspick blades.  I tried the Jackson boots which were, in fact stocked at my local rink shop (but by no means a vast choice) and they really didn't feel comfortable.  I have a low heel bone on one foot and I felt the Jackson boots would rub.  The Edea felt great as soon as I tried them on.  Very pleased indeed.