You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A little help with Jacksons?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline CheerandSkate

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
A little help with Jacksons?
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:02:00 AM »
Hi All,

First off, I'm new, so howdy!

Just want a little help with Jackson skate size as my only pro shop only sells Risport and they're way too narrow, so I have to do the dreaded online buying. I've been researching this for a while now and I have read so much conflicting information I'm about to pull my hair out!

I currently have Riedell 121RS in a 5W. They are too small in length and width (I can get them on but my toes are cramped). My feet measure 25cm heel to toe and 21cm around the ball of the foot (I am a 6.5US, 5UK and 38EU. I would like to get a pair of Jacksons as they sound like they will be the best fit. If I go by size charts I would be a an 8 however, I've seen Jacksons advertised and a particular pair I am interested in are a 6C and listed as equivalent to a size 8. I then contacted a pro shop (far, far away & lacking serious customer service) and gave them my measurements - they said I'd be a 7 or 7.5 (note that neither 7 or 7.5 equals 25cm). This is completely contradictory to all the personal experiences I have seen online where people go down .5-1 size etc. I'm so confused!

Is there anyone out there who has a pair of Jacksons (Freestyles would be even better) in a 6C or just a 6 and can measure the insoles for me? I have found a pair of Jacksons (ex display) for 70% off as they are slightly yellowed and would like to jump on that bargain if they're suitable.

Thank you for your time and hopefully help!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: A little help with Jacksons?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 04:10:38 AM »
I don't wear that size so can't help, but here's a link to the Jackson measuring chart as found on the Kinzie's Closet site.  I'm not sure it's still current but might be worth asking?  Link says children but covers all sizes.

https://www.kinziescloset.com/Jackson_Sizing_Charts.html#Children's_Width_Chart

I know how you feel trying Risports as a wider foot - my foot won't go near a Risport (sadly, as they're very pretty boots!)  However, you need to be aware that relying on measurements to buy online is very risky indeed, especially if you're not sure of your size; the part of your foot which is longest might not correspond to where the boot is longest.  Not every brand suits every foot.  Honestly, travelling to several pro shops, even some distance away, to try on different brands of boot is really the way to go.  Maybe you could ask your coaches where they and their students shop for boots.  Also, if you're still a beginner, then you could consider a gently used pair in good order.

Failing all of these suggestions, can you at least try on the boots of your skater friends to get a feel as to whether the Jackson will suit your foot? 

ETA - My daughter wears Jackson Freestyle in 7.5C; length of her insole from back of heel to toe end measures 262mm; width at widest part measures 78mm when measured exactly perpendicular to the length measurement.  Note that the insole in her skates has a "cupped" heel end, the insoles are not completely flat.  I hope this helps!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
This might not be very help since I wear a completely different brand (Sp-teri's). However my feet measure 243 mm  and I am currently in a standard stock Sp-teri boot 6C. My tennis shoes are 6.5 US. According to the jackson sizing (http://www.jacksonultima.com/static/International%20Sizing%20Chart%20JACKSON%20LAST%20may%202012.pdf) I would fit into a Jackson 6 or 6.5 boot. In terms of Last Sp-teri's and Jackson are pretty comparable as far as I have been able to tell from trying on Jackson but I can't say I have ever skated in them.

That being said I would completely by pass a pro shop and contact Jackson directly. See if you can send them an imprint or tracing of your foot and given the approximate measuring of your feet, before purchasing anything, specially if it is a display model since you are unlikely to be able to return if it is not a proper fit for you. Also you should really be careful when measuring your feet. There can be a large difference depending on how much weight you are supporting on it.  If you can have your parents/friends/someone who is not you measure your feet while you are standing, getting a proper length measure yourself can be very difficult. Also consider going down to mm instead of cm since most skates have mm sizing in order to distinguish half sizes.

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
If your feet measure 25cm heel to toe a 6c is going to be too small. My feet measure 24.5cm heel to toe (24cm around the ball) and the insoles from my 6.5E/B elite supremes are exactly 25cm heel to toe (and my toes touch the end of the toe box, despite having some 'empty' space left at the toe), I wouldn't suggest trying to fit a bigger foot into a smaller boot.  I would suspect you'd fit best in a 7.

Size charts and equivalents don't always mean much - often times fitters go by experience and what they know works, even if it's not what matches up on a chart.  I wear a 38 in my cycling shoes, but I wear a 7.5-8us street shoe - I can sometimes wear a 7 or 6.5 if they come wide enough, but that's usually the problem for me - I can't even get my foot into a smaller size to check the length, because it's just too tight around the ball.

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
I wear Jackson Freestyles in 5B. I wear a size 6 street shoe, usually a 36EU (sometimes 37), and I just measured my feet at 23 cm heel to toe and around 22 cm circumference around the ball of the foot. Just to throw some numbers out there.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline CheerandSkate

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the information  8)

I've done most things suggested - studied size charts (Kinzies included), spoken to friends at my rink, so I definitely think I will go by the advice given and try and hunt down someone with a pair of Jacksons (I'm thinking my neighbor might be able to help, hadn't thought of her until now) and contact Jackson directly. There are certainly many variables in boot fit and I really shouldn't base my size off someone else's, even if they skates are a bargain!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:53:44 PM »
Where are you and exactly what size are you? I just got semi customs and have a pair of Jackson Competitors in 7B in relatively good condition you could try. I skated twice a week (less for about six months when I had lung problems) for less than three years. No creasing or breakdown. They are slightly yellowed.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline CheerandSkate

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
Sorry, have just seen your post ChristyRN! I ended up with Jackson Freestyles in a 7C and they fit perfectly. Thank you anyway  :)