You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating fiction / documentary  (Read 8752 times)

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Skating fiction / documentary
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »

At all the skating comps I go to, someone is always there selling a chapter book series about figure skating. The signs on the table promoting the books say things like, "The big competition is coming up, but someone is trying to sabotage Mackenzie's shot at a gold medal!" They make me smile because they remind me of the plots of the ballet books I read when I was little.

If you mean these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=olga+jaffae ,
they are nothing like ballet books. The plot is very original and everything concerning figure skating is accurate. The author is an adult skater.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
If you mean these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=olga+jaffae ,
they are nothing like ballet books. The plot is very original and everything concerning figure skating is accurate. The author is an adult skater.

Yep, those are them. That's neat that the author is an adult skater. I didn't mean to suggest they were inaccurate -- the ballet series I liked the most was relatively accurate, compared to my experiences in dance class. But there still has to be a plot with an interesting conflict and resolution, whereas in real life it's not usually tied up that neatly.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
Flying Camels and Tiger Moms is amazingly great (and written by an adult skater too).  It's HILARIOUS

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
Flying Camels and Tiger Moms is amazingly great (and written by an adult skater too).  It's HILARIOUS

Jason Brown liked it too.  ;)

I read My Sergei last year. Very beautiful and sad.  :'( There's one thing that always bugs me, though. Towards the end, she goes back to Russia and visits her priest friend. They talk about Katia finding love again and he says that if she does ever find someone else, to bring him back to the priest, and he will bless them, and that will be Sergei's blessing, too. So I've always wondered; did she take Ilia back there to meet him?

I've been looking for "A Letter for Daria" but I've never found it.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
Flying Camels and Tiger Moms is amazingly great (and written by an adult skater too).  It's HILARIOUS

The only female skater in the nation with 3A, and she had to be named Tonya... Kind of hesitating if I should get the Kindle edition, the names are giving me weird vibes. (what am I thinking??)

I've been looking for "A Letter for Daria" but I've never found it.

I was able to get "My Sergei" from local library but not much luck with finding "A letter for Daria". It's cheap on Amazon here in the US, not sure about Australia.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Flying Camels and Tiger Moms is amazingly great (and written by an adult skater too).  It's HILARIOUS

I started this book. OMG not sure what to say about the dramas yet. The description of pathetic adult ice dancers thru Norma... OMG!!! Now I am also really curious about the international judges LOL

Wish someone would do a fact check...

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
Jason Brown liked it too.  ;)

OMG, I've just noticed one thing. That guy, the author, actually interviewed quite a few elite skaters, including Meryl Davis and Charlie White. He had them talk about his book, but as it turned out, none of them had read it. And they told him that, but he kept asking his questions as though they had read the book. I can tell the guy has a good sense of humor.

But I really liked the book especially the style. Both mothers are so crazy!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
autobiography? cool!

The website has a journal. But she says the novel is fiction.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
I read Kay's book. She does say it's a book of fiction but the plot is based on the actual things that happened in her life. I love the book; it has a lot of interesting skating details and tips. I'm sure every adult skater will love it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »
I started (flying camels and tiger mothers). OMG not sure what to say about the dramas yet. The description of pathetic adult ice dancers thru Norma... OMG!!! Now I am also really curious about the international judges LOL

While I enjoyed some snarky and hilarious comments in the book, the storyline did not suit my taste. Not sure what age range was it intended for. I'd rate it at two and half stars out of five.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 11:56:31 PM »
Absolutely loved reading The Second Mark... excellent excellent writing. I definitely looked funny giggling a lot on the plane and wiping my eyes at times.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
I started this book. OMG not sure what to say about the dramas yet. The description of pathetic adult ice dancers thru Norma... OMG!!! Now I am also really curious about the international judges LOL

I appreciate that Andy is able to "poke fun at himself" since he's an adult skater. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
The adult ice dancer comment was part of the highlight for me, actually. :)