You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why are shallow ROH recommended for beginners?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Why are shallow ROH recommended for beginners?
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
I read that a shallow ROH is recommended for beginners because a deeper ROH requires more control on the part of the skater. However, from experience, I find that a deeper ROH actually makes edges easier, not harder. My first sharpening was 7/16", while my second sharpening was 1/2", and I remember having lots of difficulty with that increase in ROH. So why are shallower ROH recommended for beginners?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Why are shallow ROH recommended for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »
It's harder to glide on a deeper ROH, and lack of glide makes learning lots of things much more difficult, if not impossible for some skaters because they simply don't have the confidence to push harder to compensate.  As skills are built, eventually it's just a matter of preference, and the effects don't matter as much.

Offline sk8time

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Why are shallow ROH recommended for beginners?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
It's harder to glide on a deeper ROH, and lack of glide makes learning lots of things much more difficult, if not impossible for some skaters because they simply don't have the confidence to push harder to compensate.  As skills are built, eventually it's just a matter of preference, and the effects don't matter as much.

I learned this while working on circle eights for the bronze MITF, while I was still having to work hard to get enough oomph to make a complete circle.  About the time I was starting to get comfortable with it, I had the blades sharpened and all of a sudden ground to halt well short of completing the circles.  The worst of the effect was gone after a 1-2 sessions, but it was a bit startling at first!