You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Reactions and responses  (Read 8995 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Re: Reactions and responses
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »
It's typically, "Woah!  Do you compete?"
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
I usually get, "Wow, that's so cool!"

Offline Skating_Jen

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 06:20:28 AM »
I often get "yeah, I can do that" right...an axel??? "Yeah" ok...double salchow?? "Yeah" show me.. "Uhmmm I pulled my ham string" xD then I do it and they just stand there with their mouths open O_o

I once talked to a guy about that I use to do figure skating (I had to take a longer break) and he answered back "so where's your figure gone?" I was so shocked I didn't know what to say.. I am not overweight or anywhere near overweight. I wear clothes size UK8 O_o
It doesn't matter how bad the day/week is as soon as I'm on the ice and hear the sound of my blades it's all good. Nothing else matters on the ice!

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

I once talked to a guy about that I use to do figure skating (I had to take a longer break) and he answered back "so where's your figure gone?" I was so shocked I didn't know what to say.. I am not overweight or anywhere near overweight. I wear clothes size UK8 O_o

LOL

I think that was a lame pick-up line. I think he was hoping you would show him!  :blush: :angel:
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
LOL

I think that was a lame pick-up line. I think he was hoping you would show him!  :blush: :angel:

Either that or he had no idea what "figure skating" was and so made a lame joke to try engage you somehow...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »

I thought you were from Germany.  ???  Could his meaning have been lost in translation somehow? 

In German, the sport is called "eis kunstlaufen," which roughly means "artistic running on ice," lol.  (I love german) 
I wonder what the german phrase is for "figure skater?" 

There used to be a slew of bumper sticker-slogans about figure skating.   "Skaters Figure Things Out" "Figure Skaters Do It Better" etc.  Some of them were a little risque', like "Skaters Do It On Ice" "Pond Skaters Do It Carefully" and "Synchro Skaters Do It Together."
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
One of my personal favorites: 'So you're a figure skater, is that why you have such a nice figure?' Yep cheesy pick up line.  I also get the: 'Do you compete?', 'Where do you do that?", 'Can you do the twirly things?', 'Can you do a triple salchow?'

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
I skate at a mall rink quite close to where I live and so occassionally I will see neighbors and friends at the rink.

The other day these two guys (well, grown men - retired actually) - friends of mine saw me and yelled my name across the whole mall from the bridge above the rink - I looked up and waved - they yelled "Do something fancy!!!"

I yelled back that I was doing something fancy!  (I was working on edges, turns and twizzles!).

;D

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »

In German, the sport is called "eis kunstlaufen," which roughly means "artistic running on ice," lol.  (I love german) 

Eiskunstläuferin, if you are female, and Eiskunstläufer, if you are male.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »
I was sitting next to my 90 year old mother who poked me in the leg. "Goodness, you're solid. Is that from figure skating?"

You, betcha.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
I usually get "oh, where do you do that?" I mean, we have a hockey team, do they think they melt the ice between games or what?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 10:54:07 PM »
I usually get "oh, where do you do that?" I mean, we have a hockey team, do they think they melt the ice between games or what?

Parallel universe!

Offline Skating_Jen

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
I thought you were from Germany.  ???  Could his meaning have been lost in translation somehow? 

There used to be a slew of bumper sticker-slogans about figure skating.   "Skaters Figure Things Out" "Figure Skaters Do It Better" etc.  Some of them were a little risque', like "Skaters Do It On Ice" "Pond Skaters Do It Carefully" and "Synchro Skaters Do It Together."

4711 and icedancer2 I don't think so xD he had his kids next to him xD

Well I am from Germany but that happened when I was in Perth, so that shouldn't of been a problem xD

But yesterday, I went skating and there was a school class on the public session and I did double salchow and axel etc. and I fell when doing one double salchow, a girl came up and went woah I was watching you all the time your sooo good....until you fell O_o
It doesn't matter how bad the day/week is as soon as I'm on the ice and hear the sound of my blades it's all good. Nothing else matters on the ice!

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
I usually get "Oh, do you go to X to do that?" X being a rink quite far away. I say, "Oh no, there's a rink at Y now, I go there." Our rink is very new so not a lot of people know about it.

Then after I explain that, I get:

"So, can you spin?" I can now say yes to that (not very well, and only on 2 feet, but I'm learning)
"Can you jump?" I can also say yes to this now (only a waltz jump, but to a non skater, or a recreational skater, that's pretty cool in itself)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 10:19:05 AM »
I usually get, "How long have you been skating?" when I am at the rink.  Or, by kids (in public session), "Can you teach me to spin?"  To which I answer, "Oh, you can do it if you sign up for 'Learn to Skate' group lessons." 

One of the funniest was by this man who was holding the walls with white knuckles and buckled ankles.  I was out doing power threes, biding my time in a Sunday public, and he says, "So, is this your first time skating?"  I thought was really funny.

My best friend told me that I shouldn't skate at my age (44), when I started back last year.  :sweat  Then, she went to the rink with me one night, and hasn't said a word since.  :P

Neighbor of several streets down is riding his motorcycle at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday.  I am head down in my trunk, pulling together my skating stuff (fell all out of the bag).  I hear the motorcycle stop behind me and shut off.  I turn around and he says, "Did you do Yoga?"  I am not wearing yoga pants.  I am in a black velvet stretch skating dress with tights in South Florida in June and it's already 85 degrees with 100% humidity (feels like 100 in a wet sauna).  I say "No, I was figure skating."