You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Best way to apply boot polish?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Best way to apply boot polish?
« on: April 27, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Dd's first competition is June 7-9th. She has a nice pair of used skates, but they have some deep scuffs that I'd like to cover (her coach recommended regular tights as opposed to over the boots).

What is the best way to use boot polish? I did get boot polish instead of shoe polish, but after that I'm nervous I may do more harm than good. Do I heat the boot with a hair dryer first? Can I use just a paper towel/ cloth, or should I buy a shoe brush?

Help!?!

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Best way to apply boot polish?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:08 AM »
Don't heat the boot!  That's only for applying Sno Seal to the sole.

First thing, get some masking tape or painters tape and tape over the sides of the sole (you don't want to get white polish on the black/brown part).  Take out the laces.  Then clean the white part.  I use saddle soap and a damp sponge.  I know some people use nail polish remover to remove scuff marks but I don't because I think it harms the leather.  Jubilee Kitchen Wax also works but it's hard to find.

Then wipe the leather with a damp cloth and let it dry.  Use the applicator that came in the polish bottle to paint on a very thin coat of polish.  I start at the toes and work back and up.  Let the polish dry thoroughly - I wait at least an hour.  Then take the tape off the soles.  Use a soft cloth to buff the polish to a soft shine.  Relace - new laces look best.

Don't rush.  I usually plan on a couple hours to do a proper job.  Nothing looks worse than a slap-dab polish job.  You may think that the judges are too far away to notice, but, believe me, they have eyes like hawks.