You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: US Adult Sectionals and Nationals Qualifications  (Read 2577 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
US Adult Sectionals and Nationals Qualifications
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
OK, forgive my ignorance, but do you have to place well at Sectionals, or even participate in Sectionals, to go to Nationals? I remember a couple of adults at my rink went to Nationals a couple of years ago, and I don't remember ever hearing anything about Sectionals.

New Jersey is not so far from me, and Massachusetts is at least on my side of the country. But I'd have to pass my bronze tests first, and right now I have no freestyle time.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: US Adult Sectionals and Nationals Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
OK, forgive my ignorance, but do you have to place well at Sectionals, or even participate in Sectionals, to go to Nationals?

Simple answer:  Only if entering in a "Championship" event.  Adult nationals includes both a qualifying and a nonqualifying competition.

Rule 2401.B.1.a
Competitors who qualify for the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships by virtue of having competed at adult sectionals in championship masters junior-senior free skate, championship masters intermediate-novice free skate, championship adult gold free skate, championship adult pairs and championship adult dance will not be charged an entry fee for those specific events at the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships.

Rule 2544 "Fill up" is also relevant.

Pretty good explanation on page 2 here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1oGzuypVKCuvze2_BO26_8_8ikrOf3mVLrzsneKm974ZGtDGbtwzrTH6Vq3HX/edit?usp=sharing

USFSA should be explaining this better.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:45 AM »
OK, forgive my ignorance, but do you have to place well at Sectionals, or even participate in Sectionals, to go to Nationals? I remember a couple of adults at my rink went to Nationals a couple of years ago, and I don't remember ever hearing anything about Sectionals.

New Jersey is not so far from me, and Massachusetts is at least on my side of the country. But I'd have to pass my bronze tests first, and right now I have no freestyle time.
\\

Short answer for you personally:  No, as a Bronze skater you do not qualify for Adult Nationals through Adult Sectionals.  You can enter either competition, or both.  You qualify by testing.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Correct.  The 2013 AN announcement states:

EVENTS
U.S. ADULT CHAMPIONSHIPS

The 2013 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships shall consist of the following events (See Rule 2055):

A. Events which require qualification from sectionals: Championship masters junior-senior free skate, championship masters intermediate-novice free skate, championship adult gold free skate, championship adult pairs, championship adult dance.

B. Events which do not require qualification from sectionals: Masters senior free skate, masters junior free skate, masters novice free skate, masters intermediate free skate, adult gold free skate, adult silver free skate, adult bronze free skate, masters pairs, adult gold pairs, adult silver pairs, adult bronze pairs, masters open dance, adult gold dance, adult pre-gold dance, adult silver dance, adult pre-silver dance, adult bronze dance, adult pre-bronze dance, adult centennial dance, masters dramatic skate, masters light entertainment skate, adult gold dramatic skate, adult gold light entertainment skate, adult silver dramatic skate, adult silver light entertainment skate, adult bronze dramatic skate, adult bronze light entertainment skate, adult gold solo dance, adult pre-gold solo dance, adult silver solo dance, adult pre-silver solo dance, adult bronze solo dance.

A full description of all events and requirements can be found at:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=112

That's pretty clear.  I think the USFSA provides a lot of information online in the form of test/rule books, notifications, but each competition announcement can be tailored, so you need to check that as well.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
Rule 2544 "Fill up" is also relevant.
  Fill up rules only pertain to Mens and pairs and sometimes dance