You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Competitive versus Recreational Skaters  (Read 8655 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Competitive versus Recreational Skaters
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
"Competitive" is a term a person would apply to oneself and how one feels/thinks about one's own skating life. I certainly felt like I was competing and being competitive back then.

I agree with you treesprite.  Those people are competitive skaters because they are training for an aiming to win competitions.

By USFSA's definitions, they are not USFS "athletes"- but they are definetly competitive skaters.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 12:49:29 AM »
I take lessons but don't test or compete, so consider myself a recreational skater, but possibly in a different recreational category to those who just come to the rink to skate around and will never have a lesson (Ice Tourists?  ;) ).
I call them "casual skaters".

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
Those same USFSA forms also ask whether you are "eligible". No doubt a lot of new skaters assume "eligible" means that they have passed the tests needed to be eligible to compete in something or other, so many say "no". But most people should say "yes", else they won't ever be able to compete.

Perhaps these forms, which are often filled out by beginners with no knowledge of USFSA regulations, shouldn't ask the skaters whether they are "competitive" or "eligible", because the questions aren't important unless and until you compete, and require substantial knowledge to answer.

It's confusing in many ways. Someone on this board said that at least one formerly "competitive skater" now competes at Adult Nationals, which does not require qualifying competitions.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
The forms are only for one season, so it's less of an issue than you're implying.  If a skater made a mistake on  their membership renewal, I'm sure a correction could be made.  As long as they don't do anything to disqualify themselves, like skating in unsanctioned events.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:19 PM »
Perhaps these forms, which are often filled out by beginners with no knowledge of USFSA regulations, shouldn't ask the skaters whether they are "competitive" or "eligible", because the questions aren't important unless and until you compete, and require substantial knowledge to answer.

I don't mind them asking, as long as the form itself or the USFS website provides proper instructions / explanations. I spend so much time at the skatingforums and was still very confused myself when filling it out.

But guess USFS assumes the skater or parent fills out the card with coaches?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
But guess USFS assumes the skater or parent fills out the card with coaches?

Yes, and the Club membership chair should be able to help, too.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
Yes, and the Club membership chair should be able to help, too.

Right, but still all it takes is couple sentences on the form or at least on the website. Confusing application forms potentially turn away clients... (and thanks for answering my questions back then about eligible skaters!!)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »
"Eligible" to the general population usually means "unmarried" :) 

So presumably most kids (or their parents) get that part right.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
By the definitions I have read, my daughter is not considered "competitive" because she cannot qualify for qualifying competitions. However, based on my own opinion, she IS a competitive skater since she competes  in about 4 or so comps a season and tests 2 to 3 times a season. She skates roughly 8 to 10 hours a week, she takes ballet, just started attending the gym with me, is going to add a group edge class in a few weeks and does some off ice training. I realize there are other skaters that do more and who are competitive, but I certainly would not consider her recreational...yet by definition, she is. Regardless, I don't think it matters if you are "recreational" or "competitive".  I also don't think those considered recreational shouldn't test. Whether you are competitive or not, working towards a tests allows you to work towards specific goals. I find that to be a GOOD thing. It is also one reason the test track, track exists. That track gives skaters who want to pass tests but can't or don't want to compete in the standard track a chance to compete with those at their test level but without the higher requirements of well balanced.

I think it is attitudes like the op described that gives TT a bad name as well. Some people I know consider TT as taking the easy way out. So NOT true. Every one is different. TT isn't bad. Being a rec skater isn't bad. Being a skater who doesn't compete but enjoys moving up in levels isn't bad either. All that matters is if the skater enjoys what they are doing.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
But when it comes to paying for a comp...I'm glad dd is considered recreational.  Under juv is usually a lower price.

I think I would only call her competitive if she was juv or higher with freeskate since that is when you get to wear a club competition team jacket.  Anyone can wear a club jacket but not that one!  I also think of it as something you would put on a resume, application or company bio.  If you hesitate to say Competitive Skater to the general public, then you are probably recreational.

Gymnastics had a better term - if you were level 1-4 with a goal of making team, you were "pre-team" or "developmental team".  Then people understood the private lessons, extra classes, time spent at the gym. 

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »
Interesting. Around here, all skaters wear the same club jacket no matter their level. My daughter will be competing at the pre- juv level sometime this season or possibly open Juv. But obviously won't be able to qualify due to being 14. :) Around here, the price varies. Most of the time it is 60 to 70 to enter dd in her 1st event. Usually the 60 to 70 price is for pre pre to Juv.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »
Yes, one jacket is open to anyone and the other is not! 

Kind of like the Gold Medalist jacket from USFS.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
Our Club doesn't have a lot of "team spirit," so while you can order a club jacket, it's expensive for just one person to place an order, so no one does.  Some of the skaters who've been around for a while have the club fleece jacket, but not many now.  Since the Synchro teams require a team jacket as part of the uniform, that's the one you see more often on our skaters. 

I think only the biggest clubs have the "competitor special" jacket. 
IME, skaters who've qualified for Sectionals or Nationals usually come home with a jacket showing their name, "competitor" and the competition logo.  I don't know if it's part of the entry fee or if they buy it as a souvenir.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
I don't know if it's part of the entry fee or if they buy it as a souvenir.

My understanding is that you can order them before the competition and pick them up at the event, and some may even have personalization available at the event, but you still buy them yourself, don't think USFSA provides skaters with any official team apparel unless they are competing internationally. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
USFSA only provides apparel to Team USA members.  It is possible to compete internationally and not be on Team USA.