You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: will anything happen to my blades?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
will anything happen to my blades?
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
So my blades has these SUPER tiny chips and i dont know if its dirt or rust (it looks like its sitting on the top) but I WIPE Them really good everyday. I wanna get them sharpened to prevent the rust and or the chips from further damaging my blade. I know sharpening shortens a blades life. Should/can I get them sharpened? I had these for about a month now.

I need answers fast
  :-\

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: will anything happen to my blades?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
if they have burrs and chips you should get them sharpened.  You should also pick up some soakers and hard guards if you don't have them.  Don't walk on the ground in your skates - even the rubber mats can cause damage (people walk in off the street and bits of gravel are on their shoes).

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
if they have burrs and chips you should get them sharpened.  You should also pick up some soakers and hard guards if you don't have them.  Don't walk on the ground in your skates - even the rubber mats can cause damage (people walk in off the street and bits of gravel are on their shoes).

THANK YOU SO MUCH :D I do have soakers but it has holes in them already (I have hard guards too), so time for new ones! I'll be going to rainbo today :)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Where are the rust spots? Sharpening will only remove them if they are at the edge.

BTW, occasional small flecks of rust are inevitable on some blades, no matter what you do.

The standard advice for retarding rust as much as possible is that you wipe them (as you are doing), store them in (breathable) Soakers (or similar brand breathable cloth, not in plastic guards), and DON'T leave them in a bag or car trunk. (Many people use plastic guards only to walk from the bench in to the ice and back, then transfer to Soakers, because Soakers are damaged by walking on them.)

If you must carry them to and from the rink in a bag (it is better to leave them in the open), it should be breathable - e.g., an open cotton weave. The cute little wheeled suitcases many figure skaters love to put their skates in mostly don't breath, and are a bad idea. Do not store the cloth you used to wipe the skates dry in the same bag with the skates, or it will transfer some of that water back to the blades.

Storing boots long term in a car is problematical, because you often get high humidity there, depending on weather. Likewise for storage sheds.

It also helps to apply a light oil or grease coating to the metal between usage, especially if it is going to be more than a day or two before you use them again. But most people don't bother.

Hope that helps.

But a lot of people just ignore tiny specks, unless they grow bigger.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
Oh and btw, the nicks/burs were on my edges.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »
You have to figure out why you have nicks and burrs on your blades.  It's not a disease, where two nicks spread and cause more - there's something wrong in the way you're caring for or using your skates and you need to resolve it or you'll just end up with more nicks on the newly-sharpened blades.

Holes at the toe or heel of soakers wouldn't be causing nicks on the edges, so buying new ones probably won't solve the problem.  Do you wear your guards when walking around?  Are you careful to step over the doorway threshold?  Stay out of the hockey boxes? Do you protect the blades with soakers when they're in your bag?  Do you wear the skates to/from the car, using the guards to walk?  (Bad idea, btw) What else is in your bag that could be causing these?  How many hours of skating have you done on them since the last sharpening? 

If you skate on outdoor ice, that can definitely dull and nick your blades.  The wind blows debris onto the ice, which freezes, so you're skating on ice contaminated with microscopic bits of dirt, grit, leaf matter and bird droppings.  There's no way around that, so I'd just get used to seeing nicks instead of letting it psych me out.

A few nicks and burrs shouldn't affect your skating, so don't obsess about always having perfectly honed edges.  Most skaters won't notice something so small unless they actually look at the blades.  Don't let it psych you out if you're doing okay when skating.  If you get them sharpened every time you see a nick, your blades will be dead before the boots break down. 

If you wipe the burrs with a clean paper towel and it comes off reddish-colored, then it's rust.  Get them sharpened and start using a WD-40 stick to coat the blades with a little oil before you put the soakers on for storage.  This is a problem with lower-level skate blades - they're not made of high-quality materials, so they rust more easily.

Oh, and clean out the channels of your skate guards.  They tend to collect water, dirt and grit, which grinds into your blades when you wear them.  Make sure they're always clean - a scrub with a nail brush usually works well.

Unless it's affecting your skating, don't go running to the sharpener for every little nick.  It's just a waste of steel.  If it's been 20-30 hours since your last sharpening, then by all means, get them done - you're overdue.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
You have to figure out why you have nicks and burrs on your blades.  It's not a disease, where two nicks spread and cause more - there's something wrong in the way you're caring for or using your skates and you need to resolve it or you'll just end up with more nicks on the newly-sharpened blades.

Holes at the toe or heel of soakers wouldn't be causing nicks on the edges, so buying new ones probably won't solve the problem.  Do you wear your guards when walking around?  Are you careful to step over the doorway threshold?  Stay out of the hockey boxes? Do you protect the blades with soakers when they're in your bag?  Do you wear the skates to/from the car, using the guards to walk?  (Bad idea, btw) What else is in your bag that could be causing these?  How many hours of skating have you done on them since the last sharpening? 

If you skate on outdoor ice, that can definitely dull and nick your blades.  The wind blows debris onto the ice, which freezes, so you're skating on ice contaminated with microscopic bits of dirt, grit, leaf matter and bird droppings.  There's no way around that, so I'd just get used to seeing nicks instead of letting it psych me out.

A few nicks and burrs shouldn't affect your skating, so don't obsess about always having perfectly honed edges.  Most skaters won't notice something so small unless they actually look at the blades.  Don't let it psych you out if you're doing okay when skating.  If you get them sharpened every time you see a nick, your blades will be dead before the boots break down. 

If you wipe the burrs with a clean paper towel and it comes off reddish-colored, then it's rust.  Get them sharpened and start using a WD-40 stick to coat the blades with a little oil before you put the soakers on for storage.  This is a problem with lower-level skate blades - they're not made of high-quality materials, so they rust more easily.

Oh, and clean out the channels of your skate guards.  They tend to collect water, dirt and grit, which grinds into your blades when you wear them.  Make sure they're always clean - a scrub with a nail brush usually works well.

Unless it's affecting your skating, don't go running to the sharpener for every little nick.  It's just a waste of steel.  If it's been 20-30 hours since your last sharpening, then by all means, get them done - you're overdue.

yeah i think its been more than 20 hours, I'll get them sharpened