You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fun moves you'd like to learn next?  (Read 8376 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Fun moves you'd like to learn next?
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
Survey time!  Most us have a specific list of moves to work on in the near future: turns, spins, jumps, MITF, dances... technical stuff from the testing book. What do you want to learn next for FUN?   Not for testing, but something you'd love to be able to show off one day?

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Fun moves you'd like to learn next?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:33:02 PM »
Butterfly!  I love how it looks and would love to be able to do it someday!

My coach thinks I can do it, as I have a decent death drop and a good flying camel.  She's started me on some floor exercises to get the feel of it.  It needs some work, but maybe I can make it a skating goal for 2013.  :)

And what about you jjane?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
I really want to do a death spiral.

I just need to get the guts to ask my coach to seriously teach me one (and tell him I'm totally okay with repeatedly being dropped), and also the abs so that I can do it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »
And what about you jjane?

Currently it's Yuzuru Hanyu's sideways heel lunge... Not sure if it's realistic.
Hydroblade is out, too hard on the knee.

Good luck with the butterfly spin! I'd never have the courage to touch it!!

I just need to get the guts to ask my coach to seriously teach me one (and tell him I'm totally okay with repeatedly being dropped), and also the abs so that I can do it.

Watching our skaters learn it in the show rehearsal, I'd say it's easier for the girl if the guy is experienced and strong! When the coach demonstrated with the girls, success rate was very decent across the board.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »

We used to do what we jokingly called a one person death spiral.. basically it was a hydroblade (forwards or backwards, did not need to be super low to start - just low enough) where you put a hand down on the ice, you straighten out your legs and body and rotate around that hand almost like a pivot in a side plank position.  It was possible to do it on an inside edge with the free leg crossed just like an inside death spiral... they were super fun, but I haven't even tried one in ages.

jjane45 - I'd love to try that sideways heel lunge too but lunges are generally bad news for me - not sure it's even worth attempting for me at this point, I'm sure I'd hurt myself trying :P

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:19:02 PM »
We used to do what we jokingly called a one person death spiral.. basically it was a hydroblade (forwards or backwards, did not need to be super low to start - just low enough) where you put a hand down on the ice, you straighten out your legs and body and rotate around that hand almost like a pivot in a side plank position.  It was possible to do it on an inside edge with the free leg crossed just like an inside death spiral... they were super fun, but I haven't even tried one in ages.

jjane45 - I'd love to try that sideways heel lunge too but lunges are generally bad news for me - not sure it's even worth attempting for me at this point, I'm sure I'd hurt myself trying :P

I vaguely remember seeing skaters using the elbow to pivot a hydroblade, not sure how it compares to death spiral :D

Personally I think that sideways heel lunge is more like a spread eagle. Does not really use the lunge muscles...

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:01 PM »
Hydroblade! :) I've managed to almost get it a few times but I can't get QUITE low enough. 

Outside spread eagle. I need a better turnout for it.

Shaffer turns - I think that's what they're called. It's the continuous mohawk turns you see usually before jumps.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:22 AM »
Hydroblades! The few times that I've tried it, I've ended up rolling on the ice laughing.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
For fun, I want to learn jjane's cool spiral/3-turn/back spiral move.

And one day, I would LOVE to have a male skater lift me in a dance lift (hold me at waist and lift me so my head is at partner's head height or something like that, NOT an overhead lift!) and twirl me around.  It would have to be one of the coaches - I am not going to trust just ANYONE to lift me and spin me around.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »
For fun, I want to learn jjane's cool spiral/3-turn/back spiral move.

And one day, I would LOVE to have a male skater lift me in a dance lift (hold me at waist and lift me so my head is at partner's head height or something like that, NOT an overhead lift!) and twirl me around.  It would have to be one of the coaches - I am not going to trust just ANYONE to lift me and spin me around.

during our ice dance camp this summer, a coach actually lifted the girls off ice one by one, complete with rotation. Let's say I was much wider than all of them, tried to turn it down but got the same treatment anyways. Too much fun for me, I was SCARED :P

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:26 PM »
Well, the good news is my coach is an experienced pairs skater :)  and as another coach told a lady at the rink after she did a death spiral "you are just luggage"- so I'm guessing he could swing me around.  But he has warned me once it takes a lot of work on the ladies part to not fall down and wipe the ice with your backside.

I can't even imagine trying a hydroblade...

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:46 PM »
And one day, I would LOVE to have a male skater lift me in a dance lift and twirl me around.

There are easy lifts.  So that can probably be achieved.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »
...another coach told a lady at the rink after she did a death spiral "you are just luggage"- so I'm guessing he could swing me around.  But he has warned me once it takes a lot of work on the ladies part to not fall down and wipe the ice with your backside.

LOL!!! OK I guess it's hard to be luggage after all, strong cores definitely a must. And I imagine it's hard on the arm / shoulder too.

There are easy lifts.  So that can probably be achieved.

Easier for the lady, the man needs to be fairly strong and stable, both mentally and physically!

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Shaffer turns - I think that's what they're called. It's the continuous mohawk turns you see usually before jumps.
You may be thinking of "Scotty turns."  They are actually just called mohawks, but Scott Hamilton used to do them often enough, so they were nicknamed Scotty turns.  I'm not sure about about usually seeing them before jumps, though...

There is also a Shaffer *push* but I have never heard of Shaffer turn.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
Doing a lift would be cool, but it's probably an unrealistic goal because I'm way too tall (5.8). I wouldn't even thing of a death spiral: it looks so-o incredibly difficult. Go for it, Skittl!

I can do a hydroblade, but my sit spin isn't low enough. So weird!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »
I'd like to do a layback spin.  Of course, since I can't do a scratch yet, it's a looooooong way off in the future.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
Doing a lift would be cool, but it's probably an unrealistic goal because I'm way too tall ( 5.8 ). I wouldn't even think of a death spiral: it looks so-o incredibly difficult. Go for it, Skittl!

If your male coach has pairs or dance background and is still in good shape (lol lots of conditions), ask him! I think for the simplest lifts, your height of 5'8" should not be a problem, at skating galas we sometimes see guys lifting each other for fun :)  Ditto for basic death spiral, based on my observation a good male partner will make it happen :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
You may be thinking of "Scotty turns."  They are actually just called mohawks, but Scott Hamilton used to do them often enough, so they were nicknamed Scotty turns.  I'm not sure about about usually seeing them before jumps, though...
]

They are part of the current Senior MITF Serpentine Step Sequence as well... they used to be in a different pattern with a different name but I can't seem to find my old rulebook to look it up.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »
I'd really love to get my flip back - that was a hard jump for me to master in my teens, but once I had it all the way down, it felt GOOD!

I think it would be amazing to do some sort of lift - even the modest dance ones look cool, and the overhead pairs ones look both thrilling and terrifying.  My coach is a former pairs skater (competed at Adult Silver level), but given that she's shorter and lighter than me (and over age 60), I don't see her doing any lifting of me.  I do thoroughly enjoy her stories of her pairs skating years, though.  Doing a throw jump looks like a really neat thing, too.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
the man needs to be fairly strong...

I think this is a bit of a misconception.  Some (low) lifts do not take much strength if done correctly.  I actually found beginning pair spins required more strength than beginning lifts.

My partner's not tiny, and she usually gets tired of staying in the lift position before I get tired of holding her.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »
I would like to be able to start from a sit spin and pull up into a spin in the Y-spiral position. I can do a sit and pull the leg up in front of me but haven't yet gotten up the nerve to try to pull it up to the side!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
I'd like to do a layback spin.  Of course, since I can't do a scratch yet, it's a looooooong way off in the future.

Ooh, me too. I think the layback spin might be my favorite spin to watch. I have pretty good lower back flexibility, so this may be achievable, but my spins are nowhere near stable enough yet!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
Maybe this: http://www.usarsarollerskaters.org/LoisGoellner.html

The solo death spiral!

ETA: Though that move definitely belong on the concussion moves survey.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
The solo death spiral!
ETA: Though that move definitely belong on the concussion moves survey.

::>)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
I'd quite like to try a shoot the duck - I can get low enough, but then I can't stick a leg out in front.

Might try again next time I'm on the ice.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/