You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Resuming after an extended break  (Read 1521 times)

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
Resuming after an extended break
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
Started skating last January. Skated intensely (12-15
Hours per week) for about 6 months before graduate school and stress fractures got the best of me. By the time that happened I had mastered singles through a loop with back entry and was working on a loop-waltz combo.

Fast forward and it's been 4 months off the ice. Want to get started but realize that I will probably be starting back at square one. Suggestions for first day back on the ice?

Stroking? Glides? Turns? Not sure what the quickest way to bounce back would be.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
Re: Resuming after an extended break
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Oh wow it sounds like you accomplished a lot in a short amount of time!! I would take it fairly easy on your first outing back on the ice. It'll take you a little bit to become acclaimated again but probably not too long, it sounds like it hasn't been that long since you've been off the ice. Start off slow: stroking, crossovers (if those feel strange maybe start off with pumps on the circle both forwards and backwards), and edges, working your way up to 3 turns and Mohawks, and stops like snow plows and t stops. That definitely sounds like a lot I just realized lol but see how your body feels and what you feel comfortable with doing. Every time you get back on the ice it'll become easier :) good luck!! Let us know how you make out!!

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Well... definitely felt like it was something foreign altogether! I did quite a bit of swizzle pumps and then moved into stroking and crossovers.  Did some edge work and then turns and mohawks.  Also discovered that I had some seriously dull blades- skidded all over the place! (NOTE TO SELF: Sharpen prior to a break so they are ready to go upon return to the ice).

Waltz jumps and toe loops are ugly but there and the salchow is again- ugly but there.  Sharper blades will help.  Didn't even bother with loops but did work on the back entry a bit just to get that feel down again.  All in all, not too bad for just over and hour but I have lost a lot from where I was.  A few more sessions and some nitpicking will help. 

*vows to self to always skate at least once per week to not go through this again*

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
I'm glad it went well for you!! Lol I remember taking breaks off as a kid ( and I'm talking a week at most) and getting back on like nothing ;) about a couple years ago, I was unable to get on the ice for over a week, let me just say returning after that made me realize how bad I'd get without consistent practice, never again lol :)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »
I'll be back on the ice after a 3-week break...makes me wonder how I'll do!