You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating budget  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Dreaswi

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Skating budget
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
i have never actually added up what i spend on my skating

coaching 70 per hour, 2 hours a week = 140
ice time 75 per week (unlimited hours)
adult curry 20 per week
pilates is 30 per week

i have no idea about gas, comp fees, travel, costume as this varies from year to year

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »
i have never actually added up what i spend on my skating

coaching 70 per hour, 2 hours a week = 140
ice time 75 per week (unlimited hours)
adult curry 20 per week
pilates is 30 per week

i have no idea about gas, comp fees, travel, costume as this varies from year to year

What is 'adult curry'? Lunch?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
I'm on such a tight budget.... I'm soon starting a weekend job at the rink which I took so that I won't have to pay for skating sessions.  The admission fees I'm saving on can pay for lessons.

I tried this. They've been advertising for months upon months - almost a whole year - for new kiosk assistants. Back in November last year, I asked about applying for that position. The rink manager gave me a flat no and said he didn't hire figure skaters. Not only that, it was a double whammy - he didn't hire figure skaters because they cost him too much in free ice time, but also, I was an adult, and he didn't want to be paying me the whopping sum of $18 an hour when he could get a 15 year old for $8.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Dreaswi

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
curry was developed by john curry. it is a class that concentrates on edge work. things like swing rolls. i guess you could explain it as a modern version of patch. i see quite a few MIF Incorporated in the class.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
curry was developed by john curry. it is a class that concentrates on edge work. things like swing rolls. i guess you could explain it as a modern version of patch. i see quite a few MIF Incorporated in the class.
Oh, so it's like an "Annie's Edges" class.  We have a "coffee club" session here at our rink, a group edge class followed by a freestyle session.  In other states, it's just an adult freestyle session. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
I just got more hours at my job, which covers almost all of my monthly cost of about $200. Yippee! Boyfriend also got me Aetrex soles for our anniversary (Yeah, romantic, this one is.  88))

I need to keep track of my gloves. Sometimes I suck it up and wear two different colored gloves. XD Target isn't selling the $2 for 2 pair gloves yet!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
XD Target isn't selling the $2 for 2 pair gloves yet!

In the end of season sale I got 2 pair for 73 cents.  I bought 5 packs!

I always wear mismatched gloves though.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
I need to keep track of my gloves. Sometimes I suck it up and wear two different colored gloves. XD Target isn't selling the $2 for 2 pair gloves yet!
My local Target has them, but they've also decided to go upscale. They have a handful of the $2.00 two-packs of plain black gloves but all the others are at least $3. Some have the electronic screen fingers; others are actually fingerless gloves on top of fingered ones. I was almost lured by those but realized trying them on the store that they felt too bulky and tight. I'm glad I stocked up on colorful gloves last winter. Plain black ones have their place, but I don't want to wear them all the time.

Actually, they have some cute hats and more expensive gloves out, but I already have too much cold weather apparel for a town that had about three weeks of winter last year.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Target isn't selling the $2 for 2 pair gloves yet!

Walmart is :)  I got the most hideous flourescent striped ones... I am hoping I'll have less trouble losing those than the all black ones they came with (of which I already only have one)

They also have a decent assortment of solid colors and space dyed (like the ones target had last year).

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »
If you have a Jo Ann's Fabrics by you, they sell the gloves for $1/per pair and have several different colors.  They are by the check out.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 05:55:29 AM »
I don't have a job yet, but I do get some money each month, in benefits (my visual impairment is classed as a disability). Anyway, my skating costs:

1 x practice session per week: £5.50
1 x 15 minute lesson per week: £6

So currently, £11.50 per week on skating. I need new skates, so these are going to be a birthday present. I get free travel to the rink, which is good, and I'm hoping to get a job very soon so I can skate more than once a week (I practice on the same day as my lesson).
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline lilicedreamer

• Skate Nation
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
I am so spoiled!  My budget is not big, and I only pay 55 dollars a month for learn to skate.  I get as many public sessions as I want and one class a week.  No I don't take private lessons.  I don't click with the coaches,  some of them I consider girl (blocked)es of the highest degree.

Also, some of the skaters are going way out of city to take lessons from a pro to get rid of habits formed from bad coaching at our rink. 

But I love the fact that I get at least one half hour of private ice every week!  When it's not busy, I can do what I please.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 03:22:15 AM »
Ha ha... update: I got 6 pairs of purple gloves for about $5. The other color was horrendously bright.

Skittl1321: Hrm... good idea!

sarahspins: HAHA Oh goodness. I don't think I'm brave enough to blind other skaters. Are there any normal ones? XDD

VASk8er: They hide the cheap ones in small spaces. Sneaky.

PinkLaces: I should go check out the Joann's. Thanks!