You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating budget  (Read 8709 times)

Offline GraciousB

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Skating budget
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »
Id like to know what your monthly skating budget is. Between private lessons, group class, ice time we are spending close to 1,000$ a month(not factoring in the competition fees- to register, coaches fees, music, dress(es) travel, etc). This is something no one at our rink seems to talk about(I suppose it would be a rather awkward conversation to have in the stands anyway)  Some friends and family of ours don't understand why we aren't more willing to blow off lessons, and classes. I'm embarrassed to admit how much $ and investment goes into this with anyone outside this sport(and possibly even to those who are in it). I used to balk at the cost of gymnastics, silly me. I wonder if what I am spending is average. My daughter does take 4lessons a week, which might be a bit more than average- but for a number of reasons its the right amount for her. Anyone else care to share?   :o

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Skating budget
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
I spend around $400 a month, but that's only classes and ice time - $35 per half hour for my coach (one lesson a week), $20 for an hour off-ice class with Russian coach (one lesson a week), and then $180 for a monthly pass to the rink.

Things that figure does NOT include:

- parking
- competitions
- skates/blades etc
- if I need a new dress or something

What level is she at to need four lessons a week?  :o
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
I'd rather prefer not to add the numbers together, lol. One private, two group lessons, cheap ice.

Can you break down the monthly costs into categories and see if any of them could be reduced? 

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
It's best not to think about how much you're spending as long as all the bills (skating and otherwise) are getting paid.  I figure my ballpark is around $5,000 a year, but I really can't be sure.  There have been a number of changes since I created that ballpark figure, but I don't want to calculate it again.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
So much depends on the age and level of the skater.  When my daughter was competing and taking 4 lessons a week, my costs were in line with yours.  We cut back as it became apparent that she would not be competitive at the highest levels, but she continued to test and compete through high school.  She is coaching now.  As an adult skater, the budget for my own skating has never been anywhere near that high.

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
I think you're brave (and sensible) to do the math. My tot skater had a phase for last couple of months where she was having as many lessons (including group) and costing nearly as much. So I'm not one to judge.  :blush:
Mind you, she was "babysitting" the lessons for big sister in case big sis changed her mind about competitive track skating. (She hasn't so the extra lessons were cancelled in the end).
There's plenty of skaters at our rink who skate twice daily, and some who do 1 hour lessons daily or even twice daily plus all the extra off ice and groups and ballet, etc. They're wealthier two parent families prepared to spend obviously - but it pays in their skaters' results.
I won't ever have the budget to sustain that level of training, but I can see the value in doing bursts of high intensity training to take advantage of a period when your skater's passion and progress is particularly high, rather than enforcing more regular spaced out training through the year. I'm curious to know if others agree or disagree (sorry - not intending to hijack the thread though).

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
great topic, thanks for posting it.
My expenditures are minor, mostly because I'm an adult skater and coaching and all my (very limited) available ice goes to coaching time.
I do have to travel for my own lessons, no one in my town is able to meet my needs at my level.
counting the travel, 1 lesson per week, I'd say I'm at 300 per month. doesn't count occasional expenses like skates, blade, new dress, etc.
unfortunately, this is a very expensive sport. But my theory is that exercise is drudgery, so if you find exercise you like, stick with it. also, skating is cheaper than psychotherapy!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
About $4500 a year---not counting gas and wear and tear on the car or trip to lake placid adult camp. I live in a cheap skating area.

If I add in Lake Placid it's about total $6000-$6500.

Sorry for the blogrolling, but I posted about how I added this up here.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »
I've been wondering how much other skaters around the U.S. spent. This year, I've done three competitions (the fourth is in a few days) and tested twice, and it's really hurting my wallet. My coach keeps talking about next season, and I haven't had the heart to tell her next season I can't do more than two comps. Something has to give. I can't keep running out of money every month and questioning every penny spent outside of skating.

So my budget looks like this:
- Subscription ice (includes unlimited freestyles and public): $750 every four months. It used to be $15 per freestyle hour, $10 per public session. Now FS costs $20 an hour for anyone who doesn't have subscription. When I first began skating, FS was $8 an hour and public was $8 a session.
- Lessons: $30 for 30 minutes weekly when I'm not preparing for a competitions. Often it's necessary to do a lot of extra lesson time before comps.
- Parking: About $20 a month. I've been trying to cut back on this by parking further away on the street instead of in a garage.
- Clothes: About $30 a month. I don't feel like my skating clothing budget is excessive, but things wear out and I do occasionally see something I just have to have.

And then of course there are competitions (ISI is usually around $50 to do two events, USFS is $110+), the occasional new dress, test fees and coach fees for competitions and tests.

Some of the families at our rink have two kids figure skating. I don't know how they do it.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:52:08 AM »
Probably the lowest here. I get my skates sharpened about once a month, $8. My ice time is $27 a month for unlimited public sessions, along with a full gym membership with a pool to go with it. Now a local college with a rink is opening up in a few weeks, so they have free public sessions nobody goes to from 7-9 I hope to go, basically would be like free freestyle ice, but sometimes it's messed up from the night before's hockey practice, and it's hard hockey ice. No coach for me right now, gas is a bit, but insignificant, the rink is 3 miles from my house and I can even bike there if I stop being lazy.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
When DD and I were both competing (she was around pre-juv or juv, I was in the early stages of Bronze-for-life), I made the mistake of tracking what we spent one year.  It was an absolutely ridiculous amount...about the same as what we're paying now for private college tuition plus room and board, minus what she gets for scholarships (about half tuition).  I suppose the good part is, we're totally used to day-to-day living without that money and when she graduates in a year and a half it will be like getting an enormous pay raise.

This consisted of - for me - 5 hours of ice time plus two lessons plus two days of off-ice training plus various outfits/sharpenings/etc. Skates last me several years as I don't outgrow them, I eventually break down the boots and have the life sharpened out of the blades.
For DD - 7 to 8 hours of ice time during the school year, 10-12 during the summer, 3 to 4 lessons a week, two days of off-ice training, plus 1-2 competition dresses a year, misc. costs like sharpenings, tights, etc. Her growth pattern was such that we usually got about 18 months out of a pair of skates for her before she outgrew them, but we usually had to replace both boots and blades at the same time because of the size change.

Now, her skating costs are exactly zero. I don't think she's been on the ice for even a public skate in over a year. I'm doing 3 hours a week of ice time now, plus one hour of off-ice training and one private lesson a week.  I don't go through things like tights or apparel nearly as fast as I used to, and of course skates still last me several years (just replaced my blades which were 6 or 7 years old and totally shot). Probably spending about $5,000 a year now.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:48 AM »
My job consists of 1-4yr contracts so I have budget very carefully and keep a careful eye on everything, skating included.

I put £160/month into a separate bank account to cover my lessons and ice time. Other costs (tights, sharpening, testing, membership, new boots etc) get guestimated at the start of the year and an appropriate amount added to cover that plus a bit for luck. I haven't competed yet either so no need for competition dresses etc and training clothing comes out of a different budget as I mostly wear non skating specific clothing. I live within walking distance of the rink so no transport costs. My rink has only just started doing one off ice class a week but I can't go. If I have anything left over at the end of the year it gets added into the next year's budget. ;)

Weekly costs = 2x training ice (@£5 a time) + 2x30 min lessons (@£10 a time) + 1xclub session (@ £4.50 a time which includes the group dance lesson I do) + 1xhot choc after club (50p) = £35 per week ;D

For 2012 my budget is £2203.89. (Silly amount due to extra money carried over from last year, lol! :P) I've spent ~£900 so far. My rink was shut for the summer (so I didn't skate much then and managed to share a lift when I did) and I've not tested or paid NISA membership fees yet, so I've spent much less than I was expecting to by this point. Just as well, as I was hoping not to have to buy boots this year (which I now need to) so didn't add that in! :o If I decide to enter a competition in November then I will roughly break even for the year. :D

I find setting a skating budget (and having a separate account) helps me to feel guilt free about spending money on my skating whatever else is happening, particularly job wise! ;D I need my skating to be stress free... well off ice stress free anyway! :blush:

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:04:16 AM »
£50 per month for patch ice
£64 or £80 per month for lessons (depends how many fridays in the month lol, I have one lesson a week at £16).
£3 every few weeks for sharpening

*sigh* It's not enough :-( Sadly I'm on a SERIOUS budget due to some debt issues  88) Once the debts are paid off in a couple of years time, I plan to have 2 lessons per week and go back to doing club and/or an adult group lesson. I'd also like to do the xmas show again that I'm restricted now due to cost (although I am helping in the background)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
I think what's more important is what percentage of our salary goes into skating. In my case, it's 20%...makes me wonder if that's too high. My happiness is unfortunately very expensive to maintain. :(

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
I don't agree that you should just throw money at the sport, lol.  As painful as it is, it's important to budget wisely and know where the money goes.  It helps families focus on what's really going to improve skating and resist the temptation to buy overpriced items.  The fancy skate guards/soakers/bags/etc. boost egos temporarily, but it doesn't help the skater perform better on the ice.

Your best bang for the buck is to cheap out on everything but skates, lessons and ice time.  If you can save some money through group programs or skating publics instead of freestyles, make the effort.  Every dollar saved helps make the sport more affordable.

I've found that the people who complain about skating being an expensive sport have kids with every pricey item, so they're not even trying to conserve their money.  If more people would be able to recognize what is/isn't a good value, they'd send a message to the vendors to stop overcharging.  Products are marked up tremendously.  If no one bought them, they'd have to lower their price point to increase sales.  As long as Zuca bags continue to be status symbols, the company will just keep raising the price and taking orders, lol.  (I'm not a fan of Zucas, even though my kids each have one.  We budgeted and made them a birthday gift as well.)

I budget for clothing, equipment, ice time, lessons, show/comp/test fees and incidentals.  Travel is minimal since we're not on synchro or qualifying track.  Last year, I had one kid outgrow her skates in less than six months, so I cheaped out on clothing to make up the difference.  (I bought a slightly-damaged skating dress and disguised the thread pull to salvage it, saving over $60 in one shot.  Made skating pants for them, which they don't like but they wear.)

My annual cost per skater is approximately $400/month
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
For a four week month

I take two group lessons a week: $63 a month (includes two practice ice sessions)
One private lesson a week: $100 a month
Blades sharpened every 3 months: $3.33 a month
Club ice once a week:  $16 a month

So my monthly cost is 182.33

My one time expenses are generally 1-2 costumes at less than $100 per costume, testing fees of approximately $60 per year (will go up this year due to ice dancing requiring more tests), competition fees of about $200, plus travel costs.  Club membership is around $80.  My boots should be good for awhile, and my blades at least another year.  Clothing budget is probably $100/year- things like a new pair of skating pants, replacement silipos, a hip pad.  I don't have much specialized skating clothing, just pants that go over the boot, and then I wear a t-shirt.  Ice shows probably cost me $60 per year.

Honestly, due to the cost, I'm considering leaving skating.  I've met most of my goals, and sometimes it seems like a chore. I feel guilty spending so much money, when the money could instead be going to something my husband and I both enjoy.  I can always come back to skating later in life.  I just need to decide if I want to stop now, or wait until after May when hopefully I can have taken my first 3 dances.  Seeing it all written down (and I'm sure I forgot something) makes me think I shouldn't keep going until May...

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
I don't agree that you should just throw money at the sport, lol.  As painful as it is, it's important to budget wisely and know where the money goes.  It helps families focus on what's really going to improve skating and resist the temptation to buy overpriced items.  The fancy skate guards/soakers/bags/etc. boost egos temporarily, but it doesn't help the skater perform better on the ice.

The 20% that I spend is just for ice time, lessons, transportation and food, 1x a week. Nothing special like Zuca bags, etc.

If anyone else could share something like a percentage, I would be very interested to know...Skating is pretty much the only thing I splurge on (I don't buy clothes, shoes, unless I really need it), but I'm wondering if 20% is above average in the skating world.

Offline GraciousB

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
If anyone else could share something like a percentage, I would be very interested to know...Skating is pretty much the only thing I splurge on (I don't buy clothes, shoes, unless I really need it), but I'm wondering if 20% is above average in the skating world.

Skating for my daughter is 14% of my income(not including my spouses)
She does not have a zuca bag(maybe for Christmas) and owns one nice pair of skating pants(made by our rinks seamstress) and a team jacket.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
Hmm..let's see. I pay for most of me and my sister's skating expenses myself. That includes freestyle ice, competitions, some lessons, etc.
I sell things at 2nd hand stores, etc. Let me break it down:

Freestyle ice: $96
Public Ice: $0 we have prepaid passes, so actually end up saving money! :)
Lessons:$200
Gas Money: $20

Total: $316 per month

I pay for my lessons, gas money for my mom, and freestyle ice. My parents pay for lessons every other week. Most of the time, if I can earn enough money,  I pay competition/test fees.

We do have zuca bags, they were a gift for christmas, as were our practice pants/jackets, dresses. All of these things some people look at as a "Personal Rank" thing, but we thought of them as convenient, and a nice gift.  :)
All of my allowance, birthday money, Christmas money, and funds I get from selling things all goes to skating. I wouldn't have it anyother way. :) My parents help out as well, drive me to practice every day, cover the fees that I can't, and I really appreciate that too. They just feel that me sacrificing things to pay for it myself is a good form of responsibility. :) 

Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »
I am at a very happy place right now with expenses.

These are all per month:

For me ~
Coaching: $140ish (half hour lesson a week, sometimes more, sometimes less)
Class (if I'm taking one, it's just a 30 minute class once a week): $65
Sharpening ($12 every 3 months or so): $4
No cost for ice time for me currently, it's part of my compensation for teaching LTS :)  Prior to that I was spending probably $100-120 a month for ice (mostly adult and public sessions).
Gas to get to/from rink (76 mile round trip, I go 4X a week on average, and this is basically a tank of gas a week just to skate, so I have to count it) can run $140-175 for the month depending on gas prices
Assorted things like drinks, tissues, replacing lost gloves constantly, etc, probably another $20-30

For my DD (7 and in basic 4) ~
Class: $65
Ice time: $20-40 depending on how often she wants to skate and how often I remember to pay (not intentionally, but I get busy and forget to check her in)
Sharpening ($12 every 3 months): $4

I think skating for my DD at her level is cheap.. she did have a few 15 minute private lessons over the summer to help her through B3 because she listens to anyone else better than me, but I'm not sure when she'd make the move to regular coaching.  If/when she did she wouldn't do more than 15 minutes at a time because she just doesn't have the focus at 7 to do more.  At the rate she's progressing (slowly) it will be a while before I really have to worry about that :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »
When calculated, the "hidden" costs came out to be much more than I thought: sharpening over 3 months, boots & blades over maybe 3 years, public skating pass over a year, gas and car use... :bash:

I barely spend anything on clothing except for boot covers, but invested a bit in electronics solely for skating like camcorders, voice recorder, music player, lenses, what not. :angel:

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 03:33:59 AM »
Coaching: $148
Ice time: $64-95, depending on how many times a week I skate.

In this area, prices aren't likely to go down.  :( Ironically, I spend less money on ice time in the quality rink than the bad one right next to my house!  ???

However, my friend wants to train for Bay to Breakers, so ice time will go down. Maybe I'll do Monday Night public session, since it's only $6.00. ;)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
3 skaters ... 1 comp, 2 test. The two test are really more recreational/test, but, will compete for fun locally.

$19,000 - $25,000 annually, just for ice, coaching, equipment. Not including what happens for travel costs depending on qualifying results.

Yes, they also pay for part of it through coaching $$$ etc.  No, we don't have Zuca bags.  Skates - spend whatever we need to get what they need, fortunately, have skating store that works with us.  Outfits - spend what we need to make it right on comp day, practice gear - quality stuff that lasts (one pair of Chloe pants that last for 2-3 years is a better value than cheaper that falls apart in 6 months).  Off-ice - absolutely critical.

Lots more around here spend a lot more; their kids benefit from it; but, that's what we're willing to commit.

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »
I am currently in Adult 4, so this what I pay for my skating:

Group lessons: $130 for eight weeks, one 30-minute class per week
Ice time: $4 for public sessions, $9 for adult skate
Sharpening: $7 every two months
Gas to get to the rink: $20

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
I'm on such a tight budget.... I'm soon starting a weekend job at the rink which I took so that I won't have to pay for skating sessions.  The admission fees I'm saving on can pay for lessons.