You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rebuilding boots?  (Read 13534 times)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Rebuilding boots?
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
Harlick does a nice rebuild; price is great, turnaround time around 3-5 days.  A fraction of the price of replacing a pair of boots, and, they'll also "up" the stiffness if you need it in addition to the basic rebuild.  If you figure that a pair of custom costs around $800, and a rebuild is $100 - then, if you get an additional year out of a pair of boots ... $$$$$ saved. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »
I don't have a problem with that, but I think of shoes/boots as having a limited lifespan - they're like tires.  You wouldn't keep using a set of tires with no tread left just because they still hold air - you'd replace them.

I think there is a really limited capacity for repairing boots - for me, as long as I can afford to replace them, that's the route I'll take.  I've really only seen rebuilds done at my rink in situations where the skater can't afford another pair of boots... it's done simply to buy some extra time before they absolutely have to be replaced.

Thanks for your concern, I truly appreciate it :) :)  I want status quo provided safety and performance are not compromised... Both the pro shop and shoe repair thought the rest of the boots are in OK shape and can benefit from a rebuild, so I'm giving it a try. I have quite a few friends who got our more years from their rebuilds, but I'd be happy if it gets me an additional year.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 12:47:58 AM »
OK first outing after the rebuild, I expected to limp off the ice but found myself quite comfortable in these boots. Hurting somewhat on the inside of my feet after skating, but does not feel like much break-in is needed. Will have to see if I survive dance lesson where full speed is expected.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
Skating buddy's boots were literally dying and just got them rebuilt as well for $110 (rebuild sides + tongue replacement). According to her there is some serious adjustment going on. Makes me wonder if I am THAT oblivious to changes in equipment condition, sigh.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
I think it depends on the condition of the boots before the rebuild. Maybe your rebuilt boots are more similar to your original ones, hence the easy adjustment?

Offline TDL

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
Resuscitating an old thread.

Wanted to provide my last word on my experience with using Mont Clare to rebuild by LS2010's.  They had severely broken down in about 6 1/2 months when I acquired them.

Mont Clare repaired them within a week, used some extra firm padding.  They lasted about 14 months and had not yet broken down (but were getting close to doing so).  The stitching was beginning to fray and then an eyelet was torn.

I have another pair of skates, so I will just switch over to those.  To some extent as an experiment, I am going to send the boots back to Mont Clare and ask them to repair the stitching and the eyelet and to preemptively rebuild them again.  When I finally get around to using them, I will be able to find out if a second rebuild is possible.

Certainly, a satisfactory experience with Mont Clare and the concept of a rebuild.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 02:35:56 AM »
Here is my boot rebuilding saga.

I have been wearing Risport RF2 boots.  They cost $600 in Australia.  They are made in Italy and I bought my first pair in Philadelphia and my second pair in Sydney.  Since they have been breaking down rather quickly, I decided to get the first pair rebuilt at Mont Clare Shoe Repair in Chicago.  The first pair had issues with pain in the front of the first metatarsal bone on the inside of the foot before they were rebuilt, and with rubbing at the ankle.  The second pair had issues with the boot tongue sliding down, crushing my toes, despite using the loop to hold the tongue up.  However, both pairs fit a lot better than the Jacksons I used previously.

I got my rebuilt first pair of boots back after several months.  I sent them via Auspost with the cheapest shipping and received them via Shopmate.  By that point my second pair had broken down so that I did not feel very safe jumping in them.  A local blade technician put the blades back on the boots without trouble. 

The boots were rebuilt "as stiff as possible."  Several coaches told me they wouldn't attempt to skate in boots that stiff.  The break-in was more difficult than new boots.  I heat molded the boots several times.  I had to tape my feet because boots rubbed where the additional stiff material made them narrower than they were before.

On the whole I would call the rebuild a success because it was less than half the cost of new, and I won the national championships in the rebuilt boots.  The boots are the right stiffness for me.  The tongue does not slide down.  However, I continue to have issues because the boots hurt on the edge of where the new material was installed.  It's a bit pointy at the edges.  This is most noticeable where the rear of the fifth metatarsal bone sticks out on the outside of my left foot.  I also have pain because the boot is pressing down on the tendon at the base of my right big toe.  However, this appears to be unrelated to the rebuild. 

I have sent my second pair for rebuilding. 

I talked to the Australian Risport distributor about buying a new pair, but they told me my boots were not broken down yet.  I'm not sure why they think they can tell without touching the boots.   

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 11:09:35 PM »
Did you get them rebuilt directly at risport???

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
Did you get them rebuilt directly at risport???

No.  Is that really an option?  I assumed Risport would not want to rebuild boots when they can sell new ones at 5 times the price.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 03:07:23 AM »
Riedell will rebuild boots or at least used too, as will (I think) Harlick.  I'm really tempted to call up Risport and see if they can do split widths.  I figure if they do rebuilding, perhaps they're open to semi-customs.  The Jackson folks on this side of the pond drop the ball each and every time I ask about split widths.  My Risports fit OK after punching out (in the US!) and odd lacing over the ball.  Could be very acceptable if they can open up the ball (on their C width!!) and narrow down the heel a smidge at the same time.  I just don't know how their English is, and me no speaky italian so I've been procrastinating.  They're the best fit out of the box for me over here.  It's getting close to skate time I think and I'm dreading the whole thing, especially now that Jackson has messed with their boots/lasts, and I was fitted 4 years ago. I go to the US this summer though, so that's the opportunity, if I can get sized and the order in from over here.....

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »
Why have a long discussion here about whether Risport does custom fits or rebuilds boots, when you can ask the company itself?

http://www.risport.com/contacts gives email info@risport.it, and phone +39 0423 616611

The company is in Italy, so I can't guarantee they have a customer representative who converses in English or French - but they probably do, because they have dealers and therefore customers in many countries, including yours. Send pictures of your boots in the email, so they can guess whether they are too broken down. If they don't respond try a local dealer at http://www.risport.com/dealers.

Since my own experiences with Risport were with single layer slightly used leather boots that only lasted me a week or two, I haven't bothered figuring out what they do, or including them in my web page list of boot makers. (They are in skatingforum.com's list.) But it would be hard to imagine that any respectable skate boot company wouldn't do rebuilds and some sort of custom fit, especially one like Risport that claims high level athletes in their stable.

I'd be curious of the answer.

Have any of you ordered custom boots from them, and liked the boots and the customer service? If so, I'll add them to my list.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 03:24:27 AM »
Why have a long discussion here about whether Risport does custom fits or rebuilds boots, when you can ask the company itself?

They answered my query about which boots I should buy next, but they ignored me when I asked if they rebuild boots.

Companies that sell new stuff do not usually encourage repairs.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 01:05:04 AM »
They answered my query about which boots I should buy next, but they ignored me when I asked if they rebuild boots.

Companies that sell new stuff do not usually encourage repairs.

That hasn't been my personal experience with skate boot companies. All the company reps I have talked to have been very proud of their customer service for people who have bought their products.

I once went to a competition which had a lot of vender tables just to talk to boot company reps. All the reps I asked said they rebuild boots. I don't remember all the ones I asked, but I didn't ask Risport, because they weren't there.

Did you call, or just email? Sure, if you call, you might not reach someone who speaks English, but with cheap Internet calls through tools like Skype, its not a big deal even if you fail.

At many companies, service and support is done by different people than sales. Perhaps you reached a sales person.

But of course it is entirely up to you whether you want to call the company.