You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hair for competition  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Hair for competition
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
I'm competing soon in solo dance, however after a recent haircut, I can't get my hair completely pulled back into a ponytail. What are some other options for shoulder length hair?

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
Re: Hair for competition
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
How about half up, half down?  You could use a pretty barrette/clip to keep it up.  I hope that makes sense :) But I'm sure you know what I mean.  I know you said you can't get it back into a ponytail, but how about putting it into a bun and using one of those hair nets made specifically for buns and hairspray to keep the rest in place? 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
Could you just wear a headband to keep it off your face?  That's what I always did with mid-length hair.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
What you can do is "construct" a longer head of hair; use firm hold gel, brush wet hair back into whatever you can get in a ponytail, spray the hair with lacquer, and then get one of those fake "buns"/hairpieces (they are circular, and loop around the base of the ponytail).  Tuck the end of the "ponytail" under before you put the hairpiece on, a few hairpins, and you're good.

I think the hairthing we got cost us around 10 dollars, and in all the years we used it, nobody realized it was fake hair. It looked great. Hairbands, hair loose, was never allowed by our coach; we learned the technique from local synchro skaters who all used to do it so they would have identical hairstyles for comps.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
I do the top like this: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjywIbMN9nsfDuOOk4c_lQ39B-CHkgrQfi7a83WzETjsdwCXG1zg  This catches all the layers.  My hair is shorter than shoulder length and I can still do a ponytail.

I don't like to use pins so this works well.

I think pretty barrettes/flower would work too.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
What you can do is "construct" a longer head of hair; use firm hold gel, brush wet hair back into whatever you can get in a ponytail, spray the hair with lacquer, and then get one of those fake "buns"/hairpieces (they are circular, and loop around the base of the ponytail).  Tuck the end of the "ponytail" under before you put the hairpiece on, a few hairpins, and you're good.

I think the hairthing we got cost us around 10 dollars, and in all the years we used it, nobody realized it was fake hair. It looked great. Hairbands, hair loose, was never allowed by our coach; we learned the technique from local synchro skaters who all used to do it so they would have identical hairstyles for comps.

This is my favorite hairstyle. I just did it recently for an ice dance test - my hair is just above my shoulder. Most of it goes into a pony tail and I use clips to get the rest back for practice and LOTS of gel for tests. I sometimes braid the front to make it more interesting, then plaster it into a pony/bun, add my fake curls and a sparkly flower and I'm good to go! No one realizes it is fake hair unless I tell them. I got mine from DiscountDanceSupply for $5 but you can purchase them at Claires/Icings and the like.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 01:35:12 AM »
The fashion amongst dancers at the moment seems to leave their hair down even if it's long. It's just clipped back off their faces. It works in dance as there aren't generally the opportunities for it to whip around and get in your eyes.

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:32:55 AM »
I have shoulder-length hair but layered quite short.
I separate each side of the front into three, put them in little bobbles then French plait into pigtails but you could put the front bits into bobbles then do another row of bobbles and then clip those bits back and put it in a bun?
Hmmm. Easier to show than write  :blush:

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »
I would do as Sk8mum says.  Buns are nice for dance. I don't like leaving it down, I have had too many instances of hair getting in my eyes and even behind my contacts. 

I learned about the world of fake buns when I took up synchro as an adult and witnessed many a skater having their bun sewn on.  It does look nice though especially if you are doing a tango.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
how to make a bun by using a sock from icemom.net

Neat. I wish my hair could look as nice haha.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
My hair is also borderline length for a ponytail, and it's very fine and stringy, which makes matters even worse.  2 years ago I discovered this clip-on hairpiece: http://thewigcompany.com/updo-curls-magic-comb-add-on/p/R362/

It is absolutely AWESOME for competitions because it looks great and stays attached very securely.  It's inexpensive and can be ordered online, but you'll need to first find a local wig shop that carries Hair-U-Wear products so you can go there and use their color wheel to match your hair color.  You really can't know which color to order just by looking at the pictures online.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »
how to make a bun by using a sock from icemom.net

My hair is almost shoulder length with layers, when pulled back it's a tiny ponytail. And this product almost helped me get a bun. Just need to grow my hair a bit longer! With black hair it does not really show anyways.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »
My hair is almost shoulder length with layers, when pulled back it's a tiny ponytail. And this product almost helped me get a bun. Just need to grow my hair a bit longer! With black hair it does not really show anyways.

Used the hair bun sponge about 3 or 4 times for testing, the sponge was not of the best quality and broke a bit, still gets the job done.

I get my hair into a mini bun in about one minute using the hair bun sponge, hair net, and a scrunchie. I skated freestyle fine without hair gel and bobby pin (really really dislike them), although those would make the bun more secure. I assume if my hair is beyond shoulder length there should be no problem at all.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »

I get my hair into a mini bun in about one minute using the hair bun sponge, hair net, and a scrunchie. I skated freestyle fine without hair gel and bobby pin (really really dislike them), although those would make the bun more secure.

Aren't you afraid those bobby pins will fall out and then somebody will skate over them? This is the very reason I never use bobby pins when I skate. I just secure my hair with a scrunchie.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »
Aren't you afraid those bobby pins will fall out and then somebody will skate over them? This is the very reason I never use bobby pins when I skate. I just secure my hair with a scrunchie.

Bobby pins are only allowed in competition and test days in our area for that reason.  I've actually only seen a couple of "accidents" on ice with things falling off in a comp; in both cases, they were rhinestones or some such that came off of dresses. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
Bobby pins are only allowed in competition and test days in our area for that reason.  I've actually only seen a couple of "accidents" on ice with things falling off in a comp; in both cases, they were rhinestones or some such that came off of dresses. 

I saw one girl at competition whose bun fell out as she skated her program. By the end she was down to just the pony tail. She immediately went to pick up all her pins, and the announcer directed the flower girls to pick up pins as well. She was lucky she didn't trip herself up with them all. But she said afterwards her hair was done in a hurry so things weren't ever as secure as they normally are.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »

They're not allowed at all in US Synchro.  The skaters use "snap clips" to hold hair in place.
I use the same for singles skating and show group numbers.

If you can find a copy, even used, the Klutz hair styling book is a great asset.  They have step-by-step illustrations of hair styles that are perfect for skating.  Even I can do hair when it's one of the illustrated styles.

I had a good skating friend who always wore her long hair in a french twist or similar style.  When we shared a hotel room in Lake Placid, she revealed that it wasn't all her current hair - she used to save any that fell out, putting it into a knee-high stocking that she used to do her hair.  Same thing as the bun-helper, but with real hair not a sponge.  She said it was an old-fashioned technique that ensured that her "stuffing" matched her hair color.  Given how many poorly-matched hairpieces I've seen at Synchro competitions, it was genius on her part.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
If you can find a copy, even used, the Klutz hair styling book is a great asset.  They have step-by-step illustrations of hair styles that are perfect for skating.  Even I can do hair when it's one of the illustrated styles.

This one?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
You can find a tutorial for anything on youtube as well.  I was never able to do a secure bun until watching one by a ballet school.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »
This one?

Yes

You can find a tutorial for anything on youtube as well.  I was never able to do a secure bun until watching one by a ballet school.

Very true - there's a thread somewhere on the board that had a link to someone's YouTube channel of "up dos."
It was enlightening.  For just starting out, though, still photos are easier to follow than a video if you're working by yourself.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »
Instead of bobby pins try a goody hair screw. They will. It fall out.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »

They do fall out :(  sometimes, if you have hair that is very heavy and very silky. But, they're a lot easier to see on the ice, and easier to pick up with a pair of gloves.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »
If you use enough hairspray and gel, a hairnet and a couple of elastics, a bunch is very doable with no bobby pins.  Bobby pins don't stay in my hair very well and I hate how they poke into your head so I do my buns with no pins.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »

Stupid iphone autocorrect.