You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Wide angle video recording?  (Read 4247 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Wide angle video recording?
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what cameras / camcorders do you currently use and what do you recommend? :D

I am specifically looking for something with wide angle lens to cover the whole rink surface and works on tripod. What is the maximum width you recommend for the lens (e.g. 24mm vs 18mm) without getting too distorted?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Re: What camera / camcorder do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »
I just realized my current camera is already considered wide angle at 28mm, ops. Guess 24mm is the widest I could afford. 20mm and 18mm are not quite available in the low end digital camera market... Tips much appreciated!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
Every lens has some distortion up close... I think the gopro is probably as wide as you can easily get in a consumer level camera, and even that isn't all that distorted beyond just in front of the camera (within about 2 feet maybe?).

Problem with the gopro is that unless you buy one of the higher (more expensive) models and the LCD backpack you're recording "blind".

I want to get a gopro though.. ever since my sister visited and we strapped hers on my dog... it's way too much fun to play with :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:09 AM »
Problem with the gopro is that unless you buy one of the higher (more expensive) models and the LCD backpack you're recording "blind".

Thanks for pointing it out! It seems like add-on LCD screen is available but OMG that costs $80...
Its wide angle capabilities are truly amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1-zsWy47U/
http://gopro.com/videos/skate/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »
There are a lot of wide angle lenses for iphone / ipad / smartphones, just ordered one as gift :) Comes with glue-on magnetic ring if the device does not have metal surface.

Vado HD camcorder DIY:
(better lens, adapter hot glued onto case)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSP76Cg208/
(smaller magnetic lens)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD8JCfSG0KQ/

And this even sticks to a regular point and shoot camera, although 0.45x is only ~30% more viewing area.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/45x-Magnetic-Wide-Angle-Lens-for-Kodak-M340-M550-/350373572178?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5193e46e52

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Re: Wide angle video recording?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
OK I am done shopping for wide angle filming. Vado HD 2nd generation 8GB + silicon protective case (to glue on magnetic adapter) + 0.45x magnetic wide angle lens referenced above (ETA: scratched, angle not wide enough). Comes down to total of $70 off ebay. Fourth of July shopping impulse, yeah!!

I'll report back once I get all the parts together and test it out. I expect the lens to work for Vado camcorder, existing Canon Point & Shoot, and smartphone. Won't be professional quality but worth to play with :)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
OK I am done shopping for wide angle filming. Vado HD 2nd generation 8GB + silicon protective case (to glue on magnetic adapter) + 0.45x magnetic wide angle lens referenced above (ETA: scratched, angle not wide enough). Comes down to total of $70 off ebay. Fourth of July shopping impulse, yeah!!

I'll report back once I get all the parts together and test it out. I expect the lens to work for Vado camcorder, existing Canon Point & Shoot, and smartphone. Won't be professional quality but worth to play with :)

Oh!  Is this what you will be using?
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
Oh!  Is this what you will be using?

Right now it's hard to tell what will work, sigh. Since hockey box is not feasible, I want a cheap combination that does just enough, and not too worried about losing / damaging it . The dance sessions are usually quiet without kids running around and that helps.

Your GoPro results helped immensely in terms of estimating wide angle needed (170 degrees is very close to 17mm, 127 degrees about 20mm-ish) and skater visibility on the screen. Thank you again :)

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
As you've already noticed, there are a lot of wide-angle adapters out there for most camera lenses. The cheaper ones most often don't let you zoom after they are attached. The better ones have what is called "zoom-through."

Where you put the camera makes a big difference, too. For example, if you shoot from the center-side at ground level, it would take a fish-eye lens with lots of distortion to get most of the rink. But if you put the tripod on a high level at or near one corner, it will be easier to get the whole rink into the picture, even when using a less wide-angle lens.

Also, if you shoot from the side with a 17mm lens, your skater will appear very close and wider than usual when she is in the middle and very, very tiny and curved when she is at the ends. Compare that with a more normal length lens while shooting video near a corner.

Here are some examples of a fish-eye lens photo from the side:

Note this one is close to ground-level
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arlingtonva/4314530418/

And this one is from a higher angle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjsmithphotography/6574848367/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
Thank you bollyskater. For my purpose of filming the whole ice, no zooming is necessary. Also found filming from the corners distorts the far end too much, but it may show the closer end better. Will have to experiment a bit myself too :)

The video taken by slcbelle pretty much captures what I'm looking for, now it's about implementing it in an economic way :)

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
Ah, I see. The purpose makes a big difference every time.  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
The main purpose is to film dance patterns / programs / moves patterns on a tripod from the stands, without having someone to manually handle the camcorder.

Thank you again especially for the photos. The first one from groud level was wow, wondering what type of fisheye lens was it. And I learned skating backward at the crowded Millennium rink in the second photo! LOL

Fisheye correction in Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas.