You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Curtsey at the end of class?  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Curtsey at the end of class?
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
I ran across it last year, and was surprised there was a rule about it at all.

My programs have always ended close to the center, so I just bow from there.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
Hmmm ... it was explained to my kids as a measure of respect to return to the centre and acknowledge first the judges (who are centre ice) and then the other 3 directions. But, traditional old-school coaches.   

Under points, there is usually a healthy delay between skaters anyways; so, at least it gives the audience something to watch!  Even under OBO, it gives the next skater the time to step on the ice, skate a couple of loops or do a backspin, and then head out for starting position.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
Having seen kids who end their program and skate right off to the door leaving the audience wondering if the program was really over or not, I train kids to return to center for a quick bow.      Russian coaches have their students move to the center to bow before leaving the ice on every practice no matter what the level.  Russian coaches have their skaters always assume the presentation position after a practice jump and returning to the coach on the side.    International competitions, every skater returns to the center for a bow.    Interesting fact, in competition, the next skater is only supposed to be let onto the ice after the skater before has completed their bow.  This is totally ignored in local competition in order to process through as many skaters as possible.  In internationals, watch the ice dancers, bowing is a competition on it's own.. twirl twirl bow, twirl twirl bow, all four directions then a wave to the first direction and then they start moving to the door.     Only then can the next pair go on, and it's a bit of a psych out game.    That's why there is the rule about "undue delay".  Heh.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
Well, in international competition the bows also take place while sweepers clear the ice.

Also, I'd be hesitant to say "russian coaches " do x. The ones at your rink might, maybe even most. The Russian coach at our rink definetly does not make his kids curtsy. And he is an older coach, so it isn't that he is young Russian-american.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
I've noticed that my coach's high-level kids all present when they approach her for the beginning of a session and also to her before exiting.  I don't.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
You know..I'm going to start doing that.  In ballet we always did a reverance where we'd curtsey(actually a couple of them) and then applaud the teacher and ourselves(I think)..she always applauded too.  But bear in mind I was ten and just did what I was told.  But I do see that as a respect and a way of saying 'thank you for teaching and/or watching me'.  I am definately going to start that at my rink..hehe.  Can you imagine getting my 3 and 4 yr old students to curtsey/bow..ooh that'd be too cute.  I usually hand out stickers and do a 'hands in..go team' kind of thing.  And for my own private lessons w/ my coach it's usually a see you later, thank you, and skate away.  I do want to model my skating off of dance so why not start with a simple curtsey at the end of my lessons and programs like in ballet?   

Offline RinkGuard

• Global Moderator
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
And here, watch to the end.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
And here, watch to the end.

I watched the last 10 seconds, hilarious and what a contrast!