You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: what time do you go to bed for morning ice?  (Read 8222 times)

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
Re: what time do you go to bed for morning ice?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
I find 4:30am too early to actually want to eat anything solid, although I take coffee to have in the car as I do need something on my stomach. I am usually hungry by the time we get off the ice at 6:30, and then either have breakfast when I get home (Saturday session) or from the canteen at work (weekday).

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 10:57:41 AM »
Just discovered a great breakfast for early sessions. I received a can of steel cut Irish oatmeal but (being so lazy) cannot afford 30 minutes of cooking time. Instead I put oat meal and boiling water into a thermo cup and let it sit overnight. Lukewarm oatmeal ready to go on the road the next morning, yeah! :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »
Just discovered a great breakfast for early sessions. I received a can of steel cut Irish oatmeal but (being so lazy) cannot afford 30 minutes of cooking time. Instead I put oat meal and boiling water into a thermo cup and let it sit overnight. Lukewarm oatmeal ready to go on the road the next morning, yeah! :)

I use the microwave and it only takes 2-3min. It takes as long to boil the kettle to make tea.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
I use the microwave and it only takes 2-3min. It takes as long to boil the kettle to make tea.

Quick oats cook fast, but steel cuts would take much longer than that even in the microwave...

Honestly, stove top or slow cooker still gives the best texture for any kind of oats, but I'm lazy.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
I like pinhead oatmeal but it is a bit too much of a faff for me usually. Rolled oats give a much nicer texture than instant stuff but are much easier &quicker to cook!

I use rolled (porridge) oats and make it with water (and usually some dried fruit). Zap in the microwave for ~3 mins (depends on where I buy the oats from - some need a little longer) in a big bowl then let sit. I head to the shower, get dressed and make sure my bag / lunch etc is ready to go etc. By that point the porridge is properly cooked and has cooled enough to eat... Nom nom nom!  ;D

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »
On Saturdays, I skate at 7:00am.  Since I have to take the subway and the crosstown bus (NYer here!), I leave at 5:20am.  It's a 10 minute walk to the subway, hop on the local train and hope there's an express when it gets to the express station.  If all goes as planned, I'm off the express train at 6:15am and waiting for the 6:23 crosstown bus.  I usually arrive at the rink by 6:43am.

When I miss the crosstown bus thanks to the subway, it's a jolly run of 7 long NYC blocks to the rink. :sweat

As for the weekdays, I am ashamed to say that I haven't managed to get up for those sessions yet.  If I did, it would be up at 5:00, out the door by 6:00 and an 8 block walk to my car.  Wish there was parking available in my apt building.... Sigh....
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
Oh and my hat is off to those of you who can eat in the morning and then skate. I tried that once and my breakfast threatened to make a return appearance!  Not even coffee in the morning until after 9:00.  I've always been like that, even when I was a kid.  No early morning breakfast for me!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
Oh and my hat is off to those of you who can eat in the morning and then skate. I tried that once and my breakfast threatened to make a return appearance!  Not even coffee in the morning until after 9:00.  I've always been like that, even when I was a kid.  No early morning breakfast for me!

No BIG breakfast, but I have to have something hot and comforting in the stomach that is not just liquid, can't work out with totally empty stomach.

My rule of thumb is one hour between breakfast and actually stepping on the ice. With my commute time it's usually the case.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
I like to eat breakfast in the morning shortly after waking up whether I am skating or not.  I can hop out of bed and eat right away with no problems and I can eat almost anything before exercise with no problems.  It's only a problem if I overeat and am uncomfortably full. Like unbutton-the-top-button-of-your-pants full.

I wake up between 4:30 and 4:45 on skating days to be on the ice around 5:30.  I used to use an alarm that I would set to about 4:10, but now I get up without an alarm regardless of what time I go to bed the night before.  I have gone to bed at 12:30 am and still woken up at 4:30ish.  In a perfect world, I would be asleep by 10.  I actually get up more consistently on time without the alarm than I did with it, I sleep better, and I feel better the next day.  I just started waking up without an alarm in August and I would never go back.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
I don't eat breakfast if I skate in the morning.  I actually wake up LATER than when I go to work, but for some reason food before skating just doesn't work for me.

I wake up at 7:20, am out the door by 7:30, at the rink at 7:45 and on the ice at 8:00.
I then have 75 minutes of freestyle and 30 minutes of learn to skate.

I eat breakfast when I get home, at about 10:15.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
I have got to eat something before I skate. It's always something small, usually a couple of waffle sticks (I make them myself, quite good) or a small bowl of potato/egg/bacon, homemade doughnut or something of the like. Sometimes it's some grapes. Usually it's whatever I can grab and eat on the way.

Weekdays I get up at 3:50 a.m. to be on the ice by 5 a.m. Saturdays I get to sleep in until 5 a.m. to be on the ice by 6:30 a.m. I usually bring a snack with me on Saturdays that I can eat during my break since I skate multiple hours.

I try to be in bed by 9:30, but 10 is usually more realistic.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »
I'd love to be able to have coffee before early morning skating, but coffee makes me jittery. Plus, I'd have to keep getting off to go to the bathroom.

I usually have a banana, but I force it more than enjoy it. Usually, hunger seems to hit about 15 minutes after I get on the ice for the 6-8 a.m. early morning ice. I keep a granola bar in my bag and often eat it in the middle of the session.